Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

One Day in December > How hard did you cheer?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
How hard are you rooting for Laurie and Jack? Or do you think they're better off without each other? Let us know!

message 2: by Jake (new)

Jake Jarvis | 7 comments Okay, so I've only made it to May 14, 2012, and right now I'm so conflicted. On one hand, Oscar is such a sweet guy. I think Laurie would probably have a great life with him (and his financial and career success is a great plus). And after the way Jack acted in the restaurant? Sheesh, buddy. He's obviously only acting this way because he's jealous. I just feel like, even before the Thailand trip, Laurie was able to be more emotionally vulnerable with Jack than he was with her. I think for it to work, he needs to grow up a little and admit his feelings -- actually talk about it. Stealing one kiss isn't enough.

message 3: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 2 comments I'd say they're definitely better off together. They're so consistently drawn to each other and seem to "get" each other. The most conflict is because they aren't or can't be together, and I think the fact that that never goes away is part of why it makes sense for them to be together — that and they never outgrow each other like Sarah and Jack did. I was pretty mad at Jack's choice of partners though, but I guess he had to grow up.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I really do like Jack and Laurie and think they'd make a wonderful couple. This book is challenging because so many of the characters are likeable. I don't want to pull for either of the couples (Jack and Sarah or Laurie and Oscar) to split up, but I do feel like Jack and Laurie are meant to be together...

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Blackwell (jenblackwell93) | 4 comments Spoiler!*

I loved this book! They’ve belonged together from day one. With every encounter between the two of them, I hoped that it would be THE moment. I’m so glad they found each other in the end, but I found myself hoping for just one more chapter to see how their life pans out! Very heartwarming book and perfect pick for December!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments what a fantastic christmas love story. just loved it.

message 7: by Kialynne (new)

Kialynne I really enjoyed how likeable the other characters were. I loved that in this version of what is sometimes an overused trope, the protagonist does not hate the person who is supposed to be her best friend because of who they love. Sarah is like a sister to Laurie and it's wonderful that her love for Jack is not a deep resentment that festers inside her, but an ill-timed love that she keeps to herself for the sake of Jack and Sarah's happiness. I really enjoyed that aspect.

Spoilers ahead!~

I think the problem I had with Oscar was that he was too perfect until he wasn't? That's not a problem with the writing at all, it happens, but I found it difficult. If his job hadn't required him to move away, how long would they have stuck it out? And they would have had a child and it would have been more impossible to separate. It all ended rather quickly, but I wasn't rooting for him anyway so that's alright!

message 8: by Eleaca (new)

Eleaca Young (leaca_travels) | 1 comments I was happy that there was no real bad guy in story. I like to feel conflicted and question my own motives. In the end I was happy and I did cheer.

message 9: by Becca (new)

Becca Foubister  | 1 comments I rooted for Jack and Laurie throughout the whole book. They just brought out the best and realness of each other. They could always be themselves with each other. It was so heart warming to read about them finding each other in the end. I cried happy tears and swooned. Such a lovely story.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Ellsworth | 2 comments Such a great When Harry Met Sally-esque love story. I can picture them sitting on that couch telling the story of how they met. I love that because of the timing they had a chance to really become friends first, and be there for each other regardless of obligation. Excited to read this again next Christmas!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine McMullan (cattmcmullan) | 4 comments My face ached from smiling when I finished the book. I was constantly rooting for Laurie and Jack. I liked Oscar, but I felt like he never really understood Laurie the way that Jack did. She would even say that she never felt she could really be herself around Oscar.

message 12: by Novelishlife (new)

Novelishlife I loved how Jack was when he was with Laurie! I just wish there was more moments with them together. After reading the book, I just wished there was more.
It took them soooo long to finally give into each other and I just wished there was a bonus story of them together officially.

message 13: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Spera (kaitlynsperaa) I just got to the part where Jack and Laurie kiss outside of the pub. Personally I am not rooting for them at all. 🙄 I cannot stand how society condones cheating and keeping secrets from your significant others and having feelings for your “sisters” boyfriend? Totally wrong, no matter if you believed it was love at first sight on the bus. But I may be in the minority. Does anyone else agree?

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (valeriana) | 1 comments Just finnished and loved it! I cheered for Laurie and Jack since the bus stop and never stopped. I tried to like Oscar but always thought there was something odd with him. I too wish there was more story with Jack and Laurie together.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Mabry | 60 comments Carol, I feel the same. There should be a sequel continuing Jack and Laurie's life together. Sarah too! :)

message 16: by Book (new)

Book Nerd (booknerd222) | 2 comments I do not think Jack knows what he wants. He was so torn through the entire book.

I think he longed for someone to need him. Laurie needed him frequently in the book. When her father passed, when she was lonely on Valentine's Day, her dead end job (encouraged her to branch out of the hotel), etc. I think Sarah was independent and already had her life mapped out. But Laurie was still trying to discover herself with her job, love life, etc. She needed that hug from Jack or the encouragement, which also had Jack fulfilled because he felt like she truly needed him.

His jealously with Oscar, who was able to take care of Laurie, upset him. I think because he provided her with everything that Jack was doing before this. Encouragement, love, taking care of her. That is why Jack was so upset Oscar was not there at her father's funeral.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Mabry | 60 comments Kassy, I have to agree with you on all of the above!

We need a sequel now! :)

message 18: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 2 comments Just finished the book and I did like it, more than I thought I would. I was cheering for Laurie and Jack, but in a similar way I was cheering for Carrie and Big. There were times when I thought they were being dumb, and I was mad at them. There were many missed opportunities to do the right thing. It shows that you can love two people at the same time, because I think Laurie really did love Oscar, just in a different way than she loved Jack.

message 19: by DeJanee (new)

DeJanee Moss | 1 comments I haven't finished reading yet (plan to finish this weekend) however as of right now I think Jack & Laurie ending up together is a bit unrealistic. Oscar is def a more realistic fit for her, he has an actual career, is involved in society, etc. Jack & Laurie are both trying to figure out their path and career in life which is realistic but not for a long term lasting relationship. It would also destroy her relationship with Sarah who's like her sister.

message 20: by Tristan (new)

Tristan | 4 comments Mallory wrote: "Just finished the book and I did like it, more than I thought I would. I was cheering for Laurie and Jack, but in a similar way I was cheering for Carrie and Big. There were times when I thought th..."

YES! I agree that they are similar to Carrie and Big. They are a couple that has many flaws, both individually and as a couple, but for some reason you feel like they are perfect for each other.

message 21: by Novelishlife (new)

Novelishlife Susan wrote: "Kassy, I have to agree with you on all of the above!

We need a sequel now! :)"

I know! I wished there was at least an extra chapter....

message 22: by Novelishlife (new)

Novelishlife Kate wrote: "I just got to the part where Jack and Laurie kiss outside of the pub. Personally I am not rooting for them at all. 🙄 I cannot stand how society condones cheating and keeping secrets from your signi..."

I agree with you. I'm cheering for them to be together but just not in this way. I would be so hurt if I was in Sarah's shoes.

message 23: by Aubrea (new)

Aubrea VanderMolen | 1 comments I really didn’t have high hopes for them until the end. The book was so frustrating to me until the last 100 pages or so, but that said I was still an emotional wreck by the end.

message 24: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mickeymisa) | 1 comments I cheered all the way through. I waited on baited breath for them to find each other.

message 25: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Moore | 1 comments SO MUCH CHEERING!!! I literally hugged my book when I was done.

message 26: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 1 comments I enjoyed the book and could not wait for Jack and Laurie to be together. They were meant to be.

message 27: by Paola (new)

Paola (celestina00) | 2 comments Loved the book. Couldn't put it down! Not sure if I'd want a sequel though. I would have liked a bit more about what she ended up doing and their new life together in another country. I'd probably read it if there were a second book but no more breakups!

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna (annarella13) | 6 comments I agree with Kate & Novelishlife. The fact that they did kiss and not tell Sarah, or even that they lied all those years to Sarah about them “knowing” each other before she introduced them! I understand why Sarah was so angry when she discovered the truth. I’m not sure if I would have forgiven my friends.

message 29: by Gayle (new)

Gayle | 2 comments I just finished this book and read it all in one sitting-- it was great!

I see that some of you thought that Laurie should have fessed up about knowing Jack when they were first introduced to each other at the party-- but I get why Laurie didn't say anything after Sarah had gushed about him. In that time and place, it wasn't a bad decision because how often does love at first sight actually hold true?

I liked Oscar throughout the beginning, but once they got married he changed and became less likable-- wanting to move up the ranks but never supporting Laurie on her path.

I loved how this book took everything I love about christmas movies and put it into a book. So happy this book was chosen!

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie she should have just owned up to it and they could have avoided.

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hammer | 3 comments I always knew they would get together, but had a lot to go through to get there! I wondered why Jack never told Laurie he saw her that day on the bus, but figured it would come out in the end. For a while I thought Laurie would be just fine with Oscar, Sarah would be happy with Luke, and Jake would end up alone, but once it was known that Cressida was going on the Brussels trips, that was the turning point for me. I knew Laurie and Oscar would not make it, and once Laurie was alone Jack would come back in the picture.

I would love to see this as a movie!

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Allen | 1 comments I just finished the book and I’m in love with all of them. It was hard watching her relationship with Oscar, because they were so wonderful together and he was so very good to her, but ultimately they just didn’t fit each other. If they did, she wouldn’t have even questioned following him to Brussels.
I think it was good that they didn’t get together at the bus stop. As great as Jack was, he was immature and wasn’t ready for her. That’s evidenced in his treatment of Sarah near the end of their relationship, and his restlessness as he bounced through all the other girls. If he had been with Laurie from the beginning, he would have hurt her and ruined it. He needed to grow up and get a grip on his life before he was ready to be a good partner for Laurie.

message 33: by Merriam (new)

Merriam | 1 comments Perhaps it's the time of year and the chaos that surrounds it, but I really had a difficult time getting through this - silly for such an easy read. For some reason, the entire book rubbed me wrong and I know I am in the minority here. The challenge is that Lu and Jack were put in an impossible situation from the beginning. I have no clue how I would have handled it. Jack seemed like a 13 year old for most of the book and even though we know he was pining for Laurie the entire time, it still frustrated me. I loved Laurie and Sarah, and their friendship was sweet and amazing. The men, not so much. I guess in the end, I was happy that Lu and Jack ended up together, if only so they could stop making others unhappy.

message 34: by Macy (new)

Macy | 3 comments I finished this book on Audible while walking through an airport, and it was so hard to not cheer out loud! Adored this book, especially for December. Would love to see a film version and sequel!

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet | 3 comments I didn’t cheer for them at all. Nothing in this story seemed right and those two certainly didn’t seem right for each other. Disappointing

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamcp) | 1 comments I definitely cheered for them in the beginning, but when he descended into drunkenness and anger and even a horrible attitude, I didn’t cheer for them. Also when he was dating what sounded like some high maintenance girls, I was not cheering for them. I thought the ending was nice, but overall I didn’t root for them much.

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha (martah22) | 1 comments I was cheering for them so hard and I couldn't help but peak at the ending when she found Oscar. This was a perfect book to read in December. Loved it.

message 38: by Candis (new)

Candis Varon | 1 comments Ready for it to be made into a movie! ❤️

message 39: by Tara (new)

Tara Cline | 0 comments I was cheering for them the whole time and felt a bit frustrated by all of the roadblocks and detours they took.
They needed that time-to become friends, to grow and mature, to realize what works and doesn’t work in relationships and to see what they want and don’t want in a relationship. I truly believe that they can have a happy ending now while if they got together when they first met they would not have lasted.

message 40: by Dianna (new)

Dianna (diannabruno) | 3 comments Am I the only one that didn't love this book? They went round and around so many times that by the end of the book, I didn't care if they ended up together, apart, dead or shot out of a canon. I just needed some closure.

message 41: by Terri (new)

Terri Marshall Dianna wrote: "Am I the only one that didn't love this book? They went round and around so many times that by the end of the book, I didn't care if they ended up together, apart, dead or shot out of a canon. I ju..."

I agree with you Dianna. I liked the Laurie-Sarah best friends relationship better than any of the romantic ones in the book. I think we must be in the minority though. I've read two of Reese's picks so far and wasn't crazy about either. The other was "The Other Woman." I'm going to give her January selection a go, but if that doesn't work for me I'll probably forget about this book group.

message 42: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 1 comments I loved this book! Everytime I put it down I couldn't wait to pick it back up! I couldn't wait to find out how it would end. I think this book would make an awesome movie!

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Sonneborn (eldsonneborn) | 1 comments Overall I really enjoyed this book and it was a fun easy Christmas-y read which i wanted for this time of year! The writing was easy to read and fun. and agree with some above that it was fun there were no 'bad guy' characters either! I loved all the characters even though Jack acted like such a brat sometimes haha. I adore the friendship between Sarah and Lu - BUT i must say if they were THAT wonderful of friends i do feel Lu would have told her straight away that Jack was from the bus stop! Nevertheless, a fun seasonal read! :) I gave it four stars simply because like some said above - they went round and around so many times it became a bit eye rolling ha.

message 44: by Dianna (new)

Dianna (diannabruno) | 3 comments Terri wrote: "I've read two of Reese's picks so far and wasn't crazy about either. The other was "The Other Woman." I'm going to give her January selection a go, but if that doesn't work for me I'll probably forget about this book group."

Don't give up on Reese yet! I've also read Where the Crawdads Sing and Little Fires Everywhere, and loved them both! Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows is also quite the page turner.

☕️Hélène⚜️ (timelessnreading) | 84 comments I had to put aside Reese January pick will go back to it eventually but not now! It didn’t catch my interest so will shoulder it!

message 46: by Riley (new)

Riley Costello | 8 comments I was rooting for Jack and Laurie because I'm a feeling/intuitive type and find it hard to deny that kind of connection that is so organic. I wished Laurie had fessed up earlier in the story, but then again, there wouldn't have been a story! So I get it from an author's viewpoint but in real life I think a friend has to be truthful.

message 47: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 13 comments I was rooting for Jack and Laurie from the very beginning. It was unbelievable how much they'd be there for each other, but couldn't be a couple because everyone else was in the way.
What a page-turner, I was still so disappointed toward the end, and then .... Wow! Lovely! Wonderful!
I can't stop thinking about this. Really hope for a sequel.