Play Book Tag discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
December 2018: Geek Reads > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1472 comments This series definitely holds up to being re-read. I still love the introduction to the wizarding world. It's great to see how Rowling had a vision for the series from the very beginning. The opening line is still so great too. I'm having to stop myself from jumping right into the next book because I have so many other books I want to read this month but I may geek out later in the month and read more of the series.

Susie | 4488 comments I’m thinking of listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook this month. It will be my fourth time at reading the series!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Every time I see a review of these, I want to reread them again....

Jgrace | 2817 comments Susie wrote: "I’m thinking of listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook this month. It will be my fourth time at reading the series!"

I like Stephen Fry, but only Jim Dale can read Harry Potter to me.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7492 comments I think it is past time for me to re-read...if only there were more time!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I actually do have the Jim Dale audios!

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments It might just have been long enough since the insane fandom that I can enjoy these again. Don't get me wrong, I loved these books as a kid, but the obsessiveness just kinda made me sick of Harry Potter for a while, especially when I was nearly murdered by my other bookish friends for daring to suggest that though I found them delightful, they weren't literally the best books EVER.

message 8: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Jgrace wrote: "I like Stephen Fry, but only Jim Dale can read Harry Potter to me.."

Ditto. I kind of want to try the Stephen Fry version, but I feel like that would be cheating on Jim Dale.

Susie | 4488 comments LiteraryMania, will it bother you that right now I am wearing a T-shirt that says ‘Waiting for my letter from Hogwarts’? 😜

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Susie wrote: "LiteraryMania, will it bother you that right now I am wearing a T-shirt that says ‘Waiting for my letter from Hogwarts’? 😜"

*steam starts streaming from ears* How DARE you! ;)

I got into it too for a long time and I totally bought the Harry Potter stamps when they came out, my inner fangirl is still there somewhere. I just started feeling a little bit like I was in a cult!

Susie | 4488 comments I’m happy to remain in the cult. 😉 My son and are going to see The Cursed Child here in Melbourne in May. I can’t wait!

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Susie wrote: "I’m happy to remain in the cult. 😉 My son and are going to see The Cursed Child here in Melbourne in May. I can’t wait!"

I hope you'll post a review of the play itself in the Footnotes section after you've gone to see it, Susie. I read the play itself, but it felt pretty hollow to me. Like HP nostalgia was being shoved down my throat by people who knew a lot of the buzzwords, but hadn't actually read the series. However, as I noted in my review of the screenplay, I have the feeling that the flaws might not bother me quite so much if I had watched the play, rather than reading it. I can see this being a lot of fun in that form!

message 13: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 04, 2018 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5231 comments I have such wonderful memories of reading this book with my son 20 years ago. He was a reluctant reader at the time. I would read a page to him, and then he'd read a page to me, and so on. After he fell asleep, I couldn't help myself. I had to finish the book right then and there. We had a lot of family members reading the books before the movies came out. I remember midnight trips to the bookstore to get the latest arrival.

My boys were all grown up when we decided to go to Universal in Orlando to visit the HP attractions there. We loved it.

It's great that Rowling is now getting more people to go see live plays again. We went to a lot of plays when I was in school, but I suspect that school budgets today make this harder.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments NancyJ wrote: "I have such wonderful memories of reading this book with my son 20 years ago. He was a reluctant reader at the time. I would read a page to him, and then he'd read a page to me, and so on. After he..."

Nancy - what a wonderful memory! I actually did the same thing with my dad with this particular book. I can't actually remember why, as we hadn't done that in years and I was always a voracious reader. I think we were both just a bit nostalgic at the time and I knew my dad would love it. I bet the Universal trip was amazing! I haven't been, but I could certainly revive my inner HP fan for that!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments *raises hand

Count me as a cult member too. I may not have a tee-shirt, but I think these are the best books ever. Lol.

Susie | 4488 comments I knew you were one of my people Nicole. ;-)

Nancy, what a lovely memory. I’ve read the series to one of my sons, and he then went on to read it himself. We make HP references nearly every day. What a phenomenon it is.

LiteraryMania, I purposely chose not to read the script as I wanted to go in with no prior knowledge. I’m really glad I didn’t now that seeing it is only five months away, to the day.

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8531 comments Currently reading books Five and Seven with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. I have love sharing the magic of these books with my sins. It’s actually been a really special thing, especially for nonreaders, Two of actually read and enjoyed an entire series before they graduate high school.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this series so much, so far. I'm going to read the Order of the Phoenix this month.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Susie wrote: "I knew you were one of my people Nicole. ;-)

Nancy, what a lovely memory. I’ve read the series to one of my sons, and he then went on to read it himself. We make HP references nearly every day. Wh..."

That's completely understandable. I usually prefer to do the same, but I don't get out much, so I knew I was unlikely to see the play and settled for reading it. I'm excited for you though. As I said, I have a feeling it would be so much improved on stage, as it is meant to be enjoyed that way.

message 20: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "I hope you'll post a review of the play itself in the Footnotes section after you've gone to see it, Susie. .."

I second this.
Susie, please let us knwo what you think afterwards. I can't even express how insanely jealous I am that you are seeing it. I almost went when we were in London- I might have bought them tickets for $350 /person (on stubhub), but when I realized that was pounds instead of dollars (almost $500) per person I gave up hope.

Also, you all know I'm in the HP cult. I think I have 3 shirts, maybe 4? Went to HP World in Orlando the December it came out. My obsession has only slightly decreased as I get older. I now have nieces I can push into loving HP as much as I do. For my 14 year old niece, it's semi-working. She went as Hermione for Halloween last year- my 11 year old is strictly with my brother in the Star wars cult.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I have to stop reading these HP threads....they just aren't helping me resist temptation.

BUT, since we are talking about it, I could line these up for after Christmas (when the cheesy Christmas romances stop) and before I start back up my spring (AND FINAL!!!!) semester of law school on January 7th. Reading all 7 of these in 12 days is totally doable, right?!?

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8531 comments Nicole, totally! Lol!

Susie | 4488 comments Totally!!

I’ll definitely let you all know what we think. Joi, I won’t tell you how much we paid for tickets. 😳😳😳

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Susie it's great you get to go see the play. Definitely let us know how it is.

Nicole you can totally read the books in 12 days. It took me maybe 5 hours to read book 1.

ShazM | 365 comments Susie wrote: "I’m thinking of listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook this month. It will be my fourth time at reading the series!"

I have the Stephen Fry audiobook and love it. He has a really wonderful voice and now I can only hear "Potter!" in that voice.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5231 comments Oh. I just had a discussion with someone about Harry Potter Audiobooks. I remembered this thread, but not the names you all mentioned. argh. So I told her to try a couple from the library to see which she and her kids liked best.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Oh this makes me want to re-read the series!
<3<3<3

message 28: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 11, 2018 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5231 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Oh this makes me want to re-read the series!
<3<3<3"

Me too. It's been 20 years since I started the series, and I read all but the last one more than once. I haven't reread any since the last movie came out, but every time I see one of films on tv, I have to stop and watch. If I read them now I know I'll pick up a lot of wonderful details that weren't in the films.