Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Sue's 2019 20th Century Quest for Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (last edited Sep 29, 2019 10:02AM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments 2019 Planning 22 years for 1 or 2 challenges
may do 1922-1931 to start and see if I can complete 2 later

✔️1918 My Ántonia by Willa Cather 232p read April 4 stars ****
1919 Night and Day by Virginia Woolf 496p
1920 The Wreath 305p
✔️1921 Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf read Jan 5 stars *****
✔️ 1922 One of Ours by Willa Cather (Pulitzer) read May 3 stars ***
1923 The Able McLaughlins by Margaret Wilson (Pulitzer) 262p
✔️ 1924 So Big by Edna Ferber (Pulitzer) 376p Read Jan 5 big stars *****
✔️ 1925 Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska 336p read August 4 stars ****

✔️ 1926 Clouds of Witness by Clouds of Witness *** 1/2 stars
✔️1927 The White Cottage Mystery by Margery Allingham 139p * 1 star
✔️ 1928 Scarlet Sister Mary by Julia Peterkin (Pulitzer) 376 or The Man with the Dark Beard Read July 3 stars ****
✔️1929 Passing by Nella Larsen 122p read July 4.5 stars **** 1/2
1930 The Greek Way 212p or Years of Grace (Pulitzer) 581p
✔️1931 The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck 418p Read July4 ****
1932 Save Me the Waltz: A Novel by Zelda Fitzgerald 225p or Cold Comfort Farm * 233p
1933 Frost in May by Antonia White or Lamb in His Bosom (Pulitzer) 357p
1934 Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers * or Now in November (Pulitzer) 288p
1935 Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier * 327p or Death in the Stocks 262p
1936 Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell * (Pulitzer) 1037p or Nightwood 182p

Includes 8 Pulitzers which can combine with Pulitzer multi-year challenge
* indicates future or prior group read

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments planning

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments planning

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I'm hoping I can find ideas in other people's threads for my missing ones. Prefer to get short ones so that I can complete two challenges

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Sue wrote: "I'm hoping I can find ideas in other people's threads for my missing ones. Prefer to get short ones so that I can complete two challenges"

Haha me too! I'll keep lookout :)

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
I like that you have so many Pulitzer Prize reads. I keep meaning to read more of them but somehow I don't. Putting them on a list should help. You have a great list, but I will plug Lamb in His Bosom, It's great!

message 7: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 11, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Marilyn | 719 comments Great list! I am also reading Years of Grace for my challenge this year and I liked the other Pulitzer winners from the 30s.

message 8: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 756 comments Looks great, Sue! I love Willa Cather and du Maurier, and you can't go wrong with Gone with the Wind! I read So Big this year and it was excellent. Enjoy your selections!

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Thank you Bob, Marilyn and Candi. I'm glad to know that you guys liked some. Sorry for the late acknowledgment. I haven't checked in in awhile

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments I love the time span you picked, Sue! I think you'll enjoy Passing, and I hope you get to Night and Day. Have fun!

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina That’s a lot of Pulitzers. I’ll be intrigued by what you think of them. And such cute dogs :)

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Yes--adorable dogs, Sue! Is that a Springer in the back? (The face looks so much like my beloved Springer from long ago.)

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Kathleen wrote: "Yes--adorable dogs, Sue! Is that a Springer in the back? (The face looks so much like my beloved Springer from long ago.)"

Thanks Brina and Kathleen. The dogs are rescues that I got from the Brittany Spaniel rescue. I think the boy (Brody) in the back looks a lot like a Springer Spaniel too. I did the DNA tests on them and neither have any significant amount of Brittany in them or Springer Spaniel which I found odd. They do have some Cocker Spaniel in them, but their biggest % was 25% Chow Chow. That was a shocker. The only thing they seem to have from that is the curly tail!

I was thinking it was totally inaccurate, but they had this part where they predicted what they looked like and they described each one, down to their different coloring, different ears and noses!

That picture is the one from the rescue because I can't get a good one of them together. I got them to sight unseen from that picture, from out of state! It worked out good because we love them to death.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Sue wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Yes--adorable dogs, Sue! Is that a Springer in the back? (The face looks so much like my beloved Springer from long ago.)"

Thanks Brina and Kathleen. The dogs are rescues that I g..."

Oh, I bet you do love them, Sue! My springer was a mix, which might be why his face was so much the same as yours. I also had a lab cocker mix who was incredibly sweet. Enjoy them!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I finished So Big. Love, love love it. Here is my strange review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
I have heard a lot of good things about this book. Your review just reinforces that. Sooner or later I must find a way to read this, thanks.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Bob wrote: "I have heard a lot of good things about this book. Your review just reinforces that. Sooner or later I must find a way to read this, thanks."

Thanks Bob! I hope you love it as much as I did.

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1606 comments Sue wrote: "I finished So Big. Love, love love it. Here is my strange review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I really enjoyed So Big as well. It is one of those books that hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves these days. As a Pulitzer winner, it should be more widely read.

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Laurie wrote: "Sue wrote: "I finished So Big. Love, love love it. Here is my strange review

I really enjoyed So Big as..."

Yes! I can't believe it's not on some books you must read lists. Ferber, in general, is not very appreciated at my library.

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I loved So Big! The main character is just wonderful.

message 21: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 467 comments So Big is on my list as well. Your glowing recommendation is another reason to try and move it up!

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I loved So Big! The main character is just wonderful."

I'm so glad you loved it too Rosemarie.

I hope you love it like we did Carolien.

message 23: by Erin (last edited Jan 30, 2019 04:34PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Sue wrote: "I finished So Big. Love, love love it. Here is my strange review

Thank you for sharing and I’m glad you enjoyed it! :) I’m looking forward to reading this book, especially since I grew up in the Chicago area (but today especially I don’t miss the weather — So Cold!).

message 24: by Brina (new)

Brina So Big is one I keep neglecting. If we have a group- Carolein, Erin- perhaps we can do a buddy read later in the year.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I like the 4 seasons Erin, but something more temperate would be better, especially now!

Brina - I hope you all do a Buddy Read. I think you and Erin being from the Chicago area would especially like it.

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Sue wrote: "I like the 4 seasons Erin, but something more temperate would be better, especially now!

Brina - I hope you all do a Buddy Read. I think you and Erin being from the Chicago area would especially ..."

Brina wrote: "So Big is one I keep neglecting. If we have a group- Carolein, Erin- perhaps we can do a buddy read later in the year."

Brina wrote: "So Big is one I keep neglecting. If we have a group- Carolein, Erin- perhaps we can do a buddy read later in the year."

That sounds great! =D Later in the year — after June — would be best for me as I’ve already “overbooked” the next few months! ^^

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I finally finished another one from this challenge. Passing was a 4.5 star read for me. It was very powerful. Thanks to Pink for making me aware of it!

I think for this challenge, with my trouble getting near free copies of planned books, I'm going for 10 in a 20 year period now.

message 28: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1447 comments Carolein, Erin, Brina — I also live in Chicago and would enjoy So Big as a Buddy Read if you go for it. Any time. When would that work for you?

message 29: by Brina (new)

Brina Terri, maybe next year for me but if the rest of you do a buddy read I will follow along. I’m devoting 2019 to nonfiction only. Surprisingly with all the classics and other fiction out there, I do not miss it at all.

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Sue wrote: "I finally finished another one from this challenge. Passing was a 4.5 star read for me. It was very powerful. Thanks to Pink for making me aware of it!

I think for this challenge, w..."

So glad you liked that one, Sue. I have the same difficulty finding the books I wanted to read. 10 out of 20 is good, and you have some great choices!

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Thanks Kathleen! I think from now on, for this challenge, I'm going to just plan on reading 10 pre-1999 books published by women rather than stick to a time period.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Updated for Scarlet Sister Mary and The Good Earth. Scarlet Sister Mary was a 4-5 star book for me for the first half, but then it fizzled out. The Good Earth was very good even though I couldn't stand the protagonist.

With my new goal of reading 10 in a 20 year period, I'm only 3 away. I may just complete all my challenges this year. I have 1 left on Old and New and 1 left on BINGO.

message 33: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments I felt the same way about The Good Earth, Sue. Great progress on your challenges!

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Thanks Kathleen. I doubt I'll read the others in the trilogy but The Good Earth was a good read.

message 35: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Your challenges are looking good, I’m glad you enjoyed The Good Earth. It’s been on my tbr forever, but it never quite makes the cut.

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Thanks Pink. I put it off for a long time. I was surprised by how fast paced it was.

message 37: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
Looks like you have both challenges well in hand. I read The Good Earth several years ago. It is one of six my mother said she loved when she was a teen. I enjoyed the book, but like you I doubt I will follow up with the other two in the trilogy. I found a copy of Mandala for a buck. I only picked it up because it was written by Buck. Will I ever read it? Who knows?

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments That is cool that your mom loved it as a teen Bob. Now I'm curious what the other 5 are!

message 39: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I'm considering myself done with this challenge even though I read 10 over a 14 year period instead of all in a row.

The last two I finished were detective mysteries which aren't my favorite genre. I thought Clouds of Witness was quite good there was a lot of humor and I enjoyed reading it throughout. The White Cottage Mystery on the other hand was just okay for most of it. The end made me so mad that I gave it 1 star.

message 40: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2922 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "I'm considering myself done with this challenge even though I read 10 over a 14 year period instead of all in a row.

The last two I finished were detective mysteries which aren't my favorite genr..."

Congratulations on your finish! I count books like on our "How many have you read?" thread no matter when I read them. A finish is a finish!!

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Lynn wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'm considering myself done with this challenge even though I read 10 over a 14 year period instead of all in a row.

The last two I finished were detective mysteries which aren't my f..."

thanks Lynn!

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments What a lot of good reading you've done this year--congrats, Sue!

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Thank you Kathleen! I read a lot of great things I wouldn't have if not for this challenge.