Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Hélène's 2019 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hélène (last edited Nov 26, 2019 04:16AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Here's my plan, which will probably change several times during the year!

The Life of Alexander the Great by Plutarch Lady Susan by Jane Austen X Pas facile de voler des chevaux by Per Petterson The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
L'amant japonais by Isabel Allende The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall Douze contes vagabonds by Gabriel García Márquez La légende de Gösta Berling by Selma Lagerlöf The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle #4) by Ursula K. Le Guin
Les Maia by Eça de Queirós Iphigénie à Aulis by Euripides Emil und die Detektive (Emil, #1) by Erich Kästner The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave by Frederick Douglass On ne paie pas ! On ne paie pas ! by Dario Fo
The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) by Arthur Conan Doyle À son image by Jérôme Ferrari Moabiter Sonette by Albrecht Haushofer Die Stimmen von Marrakesch by Elias Canetti Chéri by Colette
L'Œuvre au noir by Marguerite Yourcenar Istanbul Souvenirs D'une Ville by Orhan Pamuk Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

✔ B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic : The Life of Alexander the Great by Plutarch
✔ B2: Book Chosen by the Cover : The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende
✔ B3: European Classic : The Maias by Eça de Queirós
✔ B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List : The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
✔ B5: 20th Century Classic : L'Œuvre au noir (The Abyss) by Marguerite Yourcenar

✔ I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 : Lady Susan by Jane Austen
✔ I2 : New-to-You Author : The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall
✔ I3: Classic Play : Iphigenia at Aulis by Euripides
✔ I4: Literary Prize of Your Country : À son image by Jérôme Ferrari
✔ I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year : Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk

N1: South American Classic : One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
✔ N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez
✔ N3: FREE SPACE : Children's Classic : Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kästner
✔ N4: Poetry or Essay Collection : Moabiter Sonette by Albrecht Haushofer
✔ N5: Asian Classic : Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata

✔ G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize : Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
✔ G2: Classic By a Female Author : The Saga of Gösta Berling by Selma Lagerlöf
✔ G3: Classic Non-fiction : Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
✔ G4: Written by Nobel Laureate : Die Stimmen von Marrakesch (The Voices of Marrakesh: A Record of a Visit) by Elias Canetti
✔ G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf : Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

✔ O1: 19th Century Classic : The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
✔ O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy : The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
✔ O3: Classic Comedy or Satire : Can't Pay? Won't Pay! by Dario Fo
✔ O4: Classic Romance : Chéri by Colette
✔ O5: 21st Century Potential Classic : Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019, Hélène. Nice plans so far.

message 3: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Thank you, Katy!

Shirley (stampartiste) | 791 comments Wow, you are quick! Way to go!!! Have fun with your selections!

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5462 comments Mod
Look at you, with all those plans already. Bravo.

message 6: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Thank you, Shirley and Sara! Planning is half of the fun to me... :-)

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Congrats on getting your first bingo, and with such an amazing book.

message 9: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

A book I have promised myself to read. How did you like it?

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2611 comments Hélène wrote: "G3 - Classic Non-fiction : The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave."

That was a good one to start off with! :)

message 11: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2611 comments Sara wrote: "A book I have promised myself to read. How did you like it?"

You should definitely read it and it's pretty short!

message 12: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Thanks, Rosemarie! Sara, "amazing" is the right word for it. Before reading it, I felt this book was a “must-read” but didn’t expect to appreciate it so much. It’s a fast read, and I just couldn’t put it down. I was impressed by Douglass’s strength of character and the clarity of his writing.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

A great book to start off the year, Hélène

message 14: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments G2: Classic By a Female Author : The Saga of Gösta Berling by Selma Lagerlöf. Lagerlöf is one of my favorite authors. I like her breathtaking descriptions of nature in Scandinavia and her flawed but endearing characters.

message 15: by Hélène (last edited Jan 21, 2019 02:28AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments N3: FREE SPACE : Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kästner, a children's classic I've been wanting to read for a long, long time!

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

You are on a roll now, Hélène.

message 17: by Hélène (last edited Jan 21, 2019 02:29AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments B1 : 18th Century or Earlier Classic : The Life of Alexander the Great by Plutarch

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
You have so many interesting books on your list! I had though of using The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin for B1, but now that I see Plutarch's Lives I had to go download a kindle copy. Now I have many good choices.

message 19: by Hélène (last edited Jan 25, 2019 06:21AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Hi Lynn! Plutarch was not my first choice either, but I had this idea when I had to read a book set in Macedonia for another of my challenges (Around the world in 80 books, "random travels challenge"). So I was able to kill two birds with one stone. And it was an easier read I thought it would be.
I've seen your list too, you have several of my all-time favorites on it, like The Scarlet Letter, Heidi or To Kill a Mockingbird!

message 20: by Hélène (last edited Feb 03, 2019 12:03AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 : Lady Susan by Jane Austen
I4 :Literary Prize of Your Country : À son image by Jérôme Ferrari (Prix Littéraire Le Monde 2018).

message 21: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez. I don't usually like short stories so much, but I really enjoyed this book!

message 22: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Hélène wrote: "N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez. I don't usually like short stories so much, but I really enjoyed this book!"

I haven't read this one, but I am glad you enjoyed it. I also see Lady Susan on your books list. I really liked Lady Susan. There was a fun movie "Love and Friendship" that came out a few years ago based upon it.

message 23: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Lynn wrote: "Hélène wrote: "N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez. I don't usually like short stories so much, but I really enjoyed this book!"

I ..."

I really liked Lady Susan too, but had never heard of the movie. Now I have to see it! :-)

message 24: by Hélène (last edited Mar 29, 2019 10:46PM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy : The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Ah, now I want to see the movie as well. Had no idea there was one.

Hope you enjoyed the Le Guin. I gave her a try, but not my style.

message 26: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Sara wrote: "Ah, now I want to see the movie as well. Had no idea there was one.

Hope you enjoyed the Le Guin. I gave her a try, but not my style."

A friend of mine had highly recommended The Left Hand of Darkness to me, but I had a hard time getting into it. Not my style either!

message 27: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments O1: 19th Century Classic : The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

message 28: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year : Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk.

message 29: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Hélène wrote: "I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year : Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk."

That sounds like a good book.

message 30: by Hélène (last edited May 02, 2019 01:55AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Katy wrote: "Hélène wrote: "I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year : Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk."

That sounds like a good book."

To be honest I had a hard time getting into it. I usually enjoy books that take place in countries I've never visited, but here the author goes in so much detail about the places he's talking about that I had the feeling you have to see these places to really enjoy the book. Strangely enough I could much better relate to the following book I read for the challenge, Iphigeneia at Aulis, even if it took place at a time much more distant from our own!

message 31: by Hélène (last edited May 02, 2019 02:00AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments I3: Classic Play : Iphigeneia at Aulis by Euripides. I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to. It was an easier read than I thought it would be, probably because I read it in a relatively recent translation (I read it in French, my mother tongue: Iphigénie à Aulis).

message 32: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I often find a historical perspective more interesting than a modern one, Helene.

Great progress on the challenge!

message 33: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Thank you, Sara!

message 34: by Hélène (last edited May 03, 2019 11:37PM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments ✔ G4: Written by Nobel Laureate : Die Stimmen von Marrakesch by Elias Canetti. Not very keen on this one either. it took me ages to finish it. Maybe I just shouldn't read memoirs about cities...

message 35: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Hate when that happens, Helene. Seems like they come in groups! Hope the next one is a winner.

message 36: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments ✔ B5: 20th Century Classic : L'Œuvre au noir (The Abyss) by Marguerite Yourcenar.

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Hélène wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Hélène wrote: "N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez. I don't usually like short stories so much, but I really enjoyed th..."

In the case of Lady Susan, I think that the movie (called "Love and Friendship") was even better than the book. It's rare when that happens but I absolutely loved the film. When I saw it in the theater there was lots of laughter.

Congratulations on another one completed Helene!

message 38: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Sue wrote: "Hélène wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Hélène wrote: "N2 : Short Story Collection : Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez. I don't usually like short stories so much, but I re..."

Yes it was "Love and Friendship". I thought it was hilarious. Congratulations Helene!

message 39: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Thank you, Sue and Lynn! Now I really have to see this movie! :-).
I just have finished another book, for G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf : Wide Sargasso Sea.

message 40: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments ✔ O4: Classic Romance : Chéri by Colette.

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You are making super progress on this challenge. I have not ever read anything by Colette. I need to put her on my challenge next year!

message 42: by Hélène (last edited Jun 15, 2019 11:00PM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments Sara wrote: "You are making super progress on this challenge. I have not ever read anything by Colette. I need to put her on my challenge next year!"

Sara, as I was reading Chéri in French, I wondered if it was "readable" in translation, because while the description of the character's feelings felt very subtle and accurate, I found the language old-fashioned, to the point that I didn't even understand some of the words. But in the meantime I read a very positive comment by a Goodreads member who had read the book in English, so it's probably one of the few cases where the translation is better than the original!

message 43: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I good translation makes all the difference. I ran into that with Bel-Ami. I hated it but then a discussion in the group led me to believe that the main problem was I had a terrible translation. Someone posted quotes from theirs and it was night and day. I will do some research before I try Cheri.

message 44: by Hélène (last edited Jun 23, 2019 04:35PM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments ✔ B2: Book Chosen by the Cover : The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende. I've read it in translation into French, with this bookcover : L'amant japonais by Isabel Allende

message 45: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Beautiful, Helene.

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments That is a gorgeous cover, Helene, and a book that I loved. Did you enjoy it?

message 47: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 63 comments I liked it a lot, Allende is a wonderful storyteller. I like the way she can intertwine several narrative threads and various time periods without it ever seeming artificial or difficult to follow.

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments I agree--that ability really gives depth to her novels. Glad you liked it!

message 49: by Hélène (last edited Jun 27, 2019 07:53AM) (new)

Hélène | 63 comments ✔ N5: Asian Classic : Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Did you like Snow Country, Helene. I have it on my TBR, but had not thought of it for this prompt--which I still need to fill.

BTW, congratulations on another slot checked off!

« previous 1