Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Sue's 2019 Blackout Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sue (last edited Aug 20, 2019 06:08PM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments BINGO

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic The Iliad Read May Five Stars *****
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover Snow Falling on Cedars read August 4 stars ****
B3: European Classic Howards End read Feb 3 stars ***
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List If on a Winter's Night a Traveler Read Jan 3.5 stars ***
B5: 20th Century Classic As I Lay Dying read Jan 4 stars ****

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 So Big 5 stars *****
I2: New-to-You Author True Grit by Charles Portis 4 stars ****
I3: Classic Play Much Ado About Nothing read May 5 stars *****
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country All the King's Men(Pulitzer) read Feb 4 stars ****
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year Plainsong read July 4 stars ****

N1: South American Classic Like Water for Chocolate read June 4 stars ****
N2: Short Story Collection The Grass Harp, Including A Tree of Night and Other Stories read June 4 stars ****
N3: FREE SPACE Eugene Onegin Read Feb 3 stars ***
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection - The Weight of Glory Read May 5 Stars *****
N5: Asian Classic The Good Earth read July 4 stars ****

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Leopard Premio Strega (Italy) for 1959 read June ****
G2: Classic By a Female Author The Color Purple read Jan 4 stars ****
G3: Classic Non-fiction Common Sense read Jan 4 stars ****
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate The Pastures of Heaven read May 4 stars ****
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf Mrs. Dalloway Read Jan 5 stars *****

O1: 19th Century Classic The Scarlet Letter Read April 3.5 stars *** 1/2
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy <= Kindred read May 3 stars ***
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire Candide read Jan 4 stars ****
O4: Classic Romance The Professor Read May 4 stars ****
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic Middlesex 4.5 stars ****

reply | flag *

message 2: by Sue (last edited Oct 28, 2019 09:27AM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments *

B1: The Iliad by Homer I1:_ Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson N1: Howards End by E.M. Forster G1: If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino O1: As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
B2: So Big by Edna Ferber I2: True Grit by Charles Portis N2: Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare G2: All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren O2 Plainsong (Plainsong, #1) by Kent Haruf
B3: The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder I3: The Grass Harp, including A Tree of Night and Other Stories by Truman Capote N3: Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin G3: The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis O3: The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1) by Pearl S. Buck
B4: The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa I4: The Color Purple by Alice Walker N4: Common Sense by Thomas Paine G4: The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck O4: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
B5: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne I5 Kindred by Octavia E. Butler N5:_ Candide by Voltaire G5 The Professor by Charlotte Brontë O5: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments saved for planning

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019, Sue.

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5460 comments Mod
Here we go again, Sue. Happy reading.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I have something for every category now. Of course, as always some of these will change, but it's good to have ideas started.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments Great list Sue! I especially like your “I” choices. I need to re-read The Turn of the Screw soon. I look forward to following your progress!

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2610 comments I was having trouble picking one for O5, but I think I'll take your cue and read Middlesex. It's been on my TBR list for so long and this will encourage me if I can get a Bingo!

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments Great list..good luck!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments You have assigned Mrs Dalloway in two places in case you do not know.

message 11: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Great choices, I hope you enjoy reading them. Good luck on this challenge!

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thank you Matt, Terris, Susie, Kelly and Lotte. I hadn't been back to this in a while.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list! Hope you enjoy them all, and happy reading :)

message 14: by See Min (new)

See Min Lim | 9 comments Mrs Dalloway is a 20th century classic, right?

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments You are right, See Min. It is a 20th century classic.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I updated for my first two reads The Color Purple and As I Lay Dying and

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I liked The Color Purple and I'm to chicken to try As I Lay Dying.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Bob wrote: "I liked The Color Purple and I'm to chicken to try As I Lay Dying."

you have to be in the right mood to try As I Lay Dying

message 19: by Sue (last edited Apr 22, 2019 09:34AM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I haven't updated this in a while. I'm plodding around avoiding a BINGO apparently. : /

My last read was The Scarlet Letter. I liked the story and its the message a lot but the writing was a bit too stodgy for me. I'm glad I read something about skipping the introductory chapter. I think I may not have made it through if I read that. I rated it 4 stars which was 3.5 rounded up.

message 20: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Sue, I had similar thoughts, the story is great and I admired Hester’s strength of character, but the reading wasn’t easy. Worth it, but not easy.

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Bob wrote: "Sue, I had similar thoughts, the story is great and I admired Hester’s strength of character, but the reading wasn’t easy. Worth it, but not easy."

Yes, definitely worth it. I agree Bob.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I filled in spots with things I've read that weren't necessarily in the original plan. Despite filling more than half the spots, I managed to not get a single BINGO! I even checked the diagonals ; )

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
There ought to be a prize for the most squares checked off and not having a bingo. I wonder how many?

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I just realized I do have a BINGO! The B5,I4, N3, G2 and O1 one.
When I did the diagonals I did the second one wrong.

I need to do a picture one like some people do

message 25: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2610 comments A surprise Bingo!! That's even better!! ;)

message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Congrats on your surprise bingo!

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments thanks, Terri and Pink. I'm thankful for that free spot ; )

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments Yes, I like surprises, and I like your board! Congrats, Sue.

message 29: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments The sneaky Bingo... I like that!

message 30: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments ^5!! :)

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thanks Kathleen, Susie and MK!

I finally got another BINGO. Steinbeck's Pastures of Heaven completed my 4's. It was a cool range of short vignettes that were loosely connected. I loved it.

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Congrats, Sue!

message 33: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments That Steinbeck looks good, Sue. I hadn't heard of it--thanks! And congrats on another Bingo. :-)

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sue wrote: "Thanks Kathleen, Susie and MK!

I finally got another BINGO. Steinbeck's Pastures of Heaven completed my 4's. It was a cool range of short vignettes that were loosely connected. I loved it."

Hooray for you.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thank you Rosemarie, Kathleen and Katy! It was almost as if I was trying to avoid BINGO's .

Kathleen - I had heard of Pastures of Heaven but didn't know it was as series of loosely related stories. I love Steinbeck's writing.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Congrats on another bingo, I also plan on using Steinbeck for my G4 square.

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

That's a new Steinbeck for me, as well! I'll just pop right over and put it on my TBR. Congratulations on your marvelous progress!

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thanks Bob and Sara! I love Steinbeck.

message 39: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I'm up to 3 BINGO's now with Much Ado About Nothing.

I'm reading a B1 right now which will give me 2. They're finally starting to come in!

message 40: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments That's great, Sue!

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

The cascade begins and the dominoes fall. :)

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sue wrote: "I'm up to 3 BINGO's now with Much Ado About Nothing.

I'm reading a B1 right now which will give me 2. They're finally starting to come in!"

Good for you; congrats on all your Bingos.

message 43: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3290 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "That Steinbeck looks good, Sue. I hadn't heard of it--thanks! And congrats on another Bingo. :-)"

I am with you Kathleen. Sue, Pastures of Heaven does look good. I have read several Steinbeck but I had not heard of this one either. Thanks for introducing us to it.

Congratulations on the Bingos.

message 44: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thanks you guys!

The thing about Steinbeck is even though I love him, I don't always know about recommending some of his more character-driven books like Pastures of Heaven and Cannery Row.

Pastures of Heaven is similar to Cannery Row with its oddball characters, but Pastures of Heaven focuses on different family units individually whereas Cannery Row was more about neighbor/friendship interactions. In both, the landscape is a character. CR is the coast and POH is the valley. I loved this one slightly more than CR, but I think if you didn't like one, you wouldn't like the other.

I found both of these books to be beautiful and relaxing, but I know that would translate to dull for some.

message 45: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Congratulations! You are almost done!

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thank you Jehona!

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I finished The Iliad and got my 2 additional BINGOs. Yay!

I loved the book. I went between the Alexander Pope translation on Kindle and the W. H. D. Rouse one on audio. I don't think the Rouse one gets much critical acclaim, but I thought it was a great fast-paced read and made the story easily understandable. Between the translation and the narrator on audio, it really came to life. Pope's was certainly more elegant. I enjoyed going between the two

message 48: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments Yay! Congrats on bingos, and on finishing this great classic, Sue. I'm tucking away your comments on the Pope translation for when I do a re-read--thanks!

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Thanks Kathleen!

message 50: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I got another BINGO with Kindred. It was an enjoyable quick read but I couldn't rate it more than 3 stars. It felt like a Young Adult book in that it didn't delve too deep. Maybe it was supposed to be YA? If so maybe I'd up it a star

« previous 1