Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Pink's 2019 Old and New Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (last edited Aug 03, 2019 02:24PM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments After a year off, I'm looking forward to joining in with this challenge again!

Old
✔︎1. The Iliad 3 stars
✔︎2. Inferno 3 stars
3. Paradise Lost

New
✔︎4. Vile Bodies 3 stars
✔︎5. The Rainbow 2.5 stars
6. The Longest Journey

My Wild Card Six
7. The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
8. The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
✔︎9. Les Liaisons dangereuses 5 stars
10. Native Son
11. The Grapes of Wrath
12. The Master and Margarita

Alternates
A-1. The World According to Garp
A-2. Wolf Hall

message 2: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments Tom Jones might appear on my list for next year. I've been meaning to read it for ages.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9433 comments Mod
Looking good. I would be interested in reading several of these with you or as a group read.

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I’ll be happy to buddy read any of these :)

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My God Pink, you do take the word challenge seriously. If I tried read The Iliad, Inferno, and Paradise Lost, as well as some of the bricks on your list in the same year, I end up in the hospital. Enjoy!!

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I love the way you added a variety of comedy in with some heavy stuff. I love Evelyn Waugh but haven't read Vile Bodies yet. I'm hoping to get to the Illiad and Paradise lost next year too.

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments I'm working my way through Waugh, but Brideshead will be next for me
I have Liaisons Dangereuses penciled in for February...
and Master&Margarita is on my need-to-reread shelf...

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Bob, those are some mighty choices for me, but I've included some books by my favourite authors too, to try and get me through!

I meant to read The Iliad and a few of my choices this year, but never got around to it, so I'm hoping including them on a challenge gives me the motivation I need.

Sue and Darren, I'm a fan of Waugh, but I've only read Brideshead Revisited and Decline and Fall, both of which I really enjoyed.

message 9: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Good luck,Pink.
Great list.
I loved Grapes of wrath this year.

message 10: by Erin (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Bob wrote: "My God Pink, you do take the word challenge seriously. If I tried read The Iliad, Inferno, and Paradise Lost, as well as some of the bricks on your list in the same year, I end up in the hospital. ..."

Hehe, I was thinking the same! 😅

Paradise Lost is one of those books I feel I ought to read but... Hopefully it is better than I fear and I look forward to reading your thoughts on it!

Pink wrote: "Bob, those are some mighty choices for me, but I've included some books by my favourite authors too, to try and get me through! "

That is a good strategy! I wish you success and happy reading with your challenge! 😁

message 11: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
I really do want to read the Illiad someday. I even got the book off the shelf and then didn't start last month. I would be afraid to put it in a challenge though. That's brave! It is hefty.

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments I am hoping Santa will bring me Fagles' Iliad for crimbo - the main text is just over 500 pages, so hefty but not scary ;o)

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I also have Fagles translation of The Iliad. I read his version of The Odyssey and loved it, so I'm hoping for more of the same with this.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Pink wrote: "I also have Fagles translation of The Iliad. I read his version of The Odyssey and loved it, so I'm hoping for more of the same with this."

Good to know! For some reason I was thinking that you had recommended the Richmond Lattimore translation (The Odyssey of Homer). 🤔 Now I don’t know on what endorsement I got it or if I got editions mixed up! 😂 It’s a fine-looking book at least, but if the translation does not feel right, I shall remember to check out Robert Fagles’ translation!

I hope you enjoy the Iliad! I read a greatly abridged version long long ago with lovely illustrations (Black Ships Before Troy)! 😅

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I’ve heard good things about Lattimore too, so hopefully the translation works for you.

message 16: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments That's an intimidating list! I'll be following your progress, but only peeking through my fingers.

message 17: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2762 comments Hi Pink. I did my re-read of Illiad just a few months ago. That has been my most challenging book ever. Everyone is different. Sime people read and reread it for comfort. So more power to you.

Some day I hope to read The Inferno. But so much more Inhave committed to on the long list in the head. Enjoy!

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments January is over and I'm sort of on track. I finished one book for my wild cards, Les Liaisons dangereuses which I've been meaning to read for years and was worth the wait.

I'm currently reading Inferno for Old School and I'm starting Vile Bodies soon, for a New School read.

message 19: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments I loved Liaisons dangereuses and Inferno, hope you had/have a great time reading them too. Are you planning on reading Purgatorio and Paradiso as well this year?

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I’m planning on reading them at some point, but probably next year rather than this one. I’d probably like to seek out the same translator that I’ve read for Inferno, but I don’t know if he’s done the other books or not.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Finished a new school pick, Vile Bodies which was an enjoyable 3 star read of me, although the humour was a bit ridiculous in places.

Still reading Inferno, on Canto 28/34 and still enjoying it.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Glad you're enjoying Inferno. I liked his poetry as well.

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Finished Inferno for my first old school choice. 3.5 stars for me, knocked down from 4 because I simply didn’t understand everything that was happening, so that hampered my enjoyment. However, it was much easier than I expected! The cantos were only 3-4 pages each, which meant I could read a little each day without feeling overwhelmed and the notes helped a lot! Glad to have finally read this and I’ll be continuing with the rest of The Divine Comedy sometime in the future.

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I haven’t updated since February and this one’s been a long time coming, but I finally finished The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence. Whoop whoop 🙌 I think I deserve a medal for slogging through it the past 2 months 🏅 Now, I am a fan of Lawrence, but this book was so wrought and at times downright boring. It had some passages/chapters that I really enjoyed and I liked getting to know three generations of a family, but it wasn’t enough. I just read Ali smith’s latest book which mentioned how Lawrence used stories from his friend Katherine Mansfield’s life and she wasn’t happy when she found out! I’m assuming they were the juicer bits, in which case it’s more of an encouragement to try her work again and not his. Although I will be continuing with Women in Love so wish me luck everyone. 2.5 stars.

message 25: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Muahaha, yeah good luck. Once you've finished that too you deserve a diploma and a trophy. And now I really don't feel like reading the Rainbow. :P

message 26: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Great job! I love coming to see what you are reading because I invariably learn something new. I have not read much D. H. Lawrence. Perhaps for the future.

message 27: by Pink (last edited May 28, 2019 02:05PM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Leni wrote: "Muahaha, yeah good luck. Once you've finished that too you deserve a diploma and a trophy. And now I really don't feel like reading the Rainbow. :P"

Well, I do have two other Lawrence novels on my shelves and a biography, then I’ll really earn my Lawrence trophy 🏆

I can’t recommend it though!

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Lynn wrote: "Great job! I love coming to see what you are reading because I invariably learn something new. I have not read much D. H. Lawrence. Perhaps for the future."

Good luck if you do try something else by him. I’ll be reporting back about Women in Love when I feel up to tackling it!

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments Wow, Pink. You deserve lots of medals!

I've been staring at my copy of Sons and Lovers for some time. Not sure if I'm encouraged that you like Lawrence, or afraid from your description. Which is your favorite of his?

message 30: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments I read Sons and Lovers and don't have any bad memories of trying to get through it -- BUT I tried for the longest time to finish Women in Love and just couldn't do it. Someone told me that I should read The Rainbow first, but Pink is not giving me much hope. I will probably go ahead and try to get through both books, but only to mark them off the list. I hate that :/

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kathleen wrote: "Wow, Pink. You deserve lots of medals!

I've been staring at my copy of Sons and Lovers for some time. Not sure if I'm encouraged that you like Lawrence, or afraid from your descriptio..."

Lady Chatterley’s Lover is still my favourite, but I really liked Sons and Lovers too :)

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Terris wrote: "I read Sons and Lovers and don't have any bad memories of trying to get through it -- BUT I tried for the longest time to finish Women in Love and just couldn't do it. Some..."

Good luck! I can’t imagine trying Women in Love now, without knowing the story from The Rainbow. I wonder if it will help me at all!

message 33: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Kathleen, I loved "Sons and Lovers". I found it different from the other things I've read by him. It had a hint of Thomas Hardy without being quite as depressive.

message 34: by Kathleen (last edited May 29, 2019 06:29AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments Oh boy! Thank you Pink and Leni. [phew!]

message 35: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'm still plugging along with The Iliad which I hope to finish in July.

To keep on track with this challenge I should finish another two books this month, but that seems optimistic at this point! I really want an easy and engrossing summer read, but I'm not sure any of my planned books fit the bill. Any recommendations from my list that I haven't gotten to yet?

message 36: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments I'm in the same boat: so many books, so little time. I hope you enjoy the last pages/chapters of the Iliad. I haven't read any books of the rest of your list, but I hope you get some recommendations.

message 37: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments Pink - given our 79% compare books rating, I predict you will like Tom Jones and M&M, but maybe not so much Grapes of Wrath ;o)

message 38: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Pink wrote: "I'm still plugging along with The Iliad which I hope to finish in July.

To keep on track with this challenge I should finish another two books this month, but that seems optimistic at..."

'Native Son' is a favorite, M&M is a lot of fun, WH is a special treat, but none of them are easy. So, take your pick.

message 39: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Thanks Lotte, I’m off work this week so can read more than usual, if only this was the case all year round. Never enough time for all the books I want to consume!

Darren, I’ll be interested to see if you’re right! I’ll be shocked if I don’t like Tom Jones and I’m excited about M&M. Grapes of Wrath seems like a book I should read and lots of people love it, so I’ll see.

Aubrey, i know I didn’t pick easy reads for this! I suppose that’s why it’s a challenge. I read the first couple of pages of Native Son and found it intriguing, but think it’s going to be a dense read. I guess I’ll have to mix it up with some other lighter books to read alongside.

message 40: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 276 comments That's quite a list Pink. Inferno, that's a sometime off-future read for me :)

I read Iliad las year, a free one from gutenberg I think when I was completely new to Homer, I had no idea ho many translations there were and it was a daunting read.

But I'm planning to read The Illiad again next year and came across this one The Iliad (translator Caroline Alexander, published by Vintage classics) but I haven't decided and am interested to know how you find Fragles translation.

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I like the Fagles translation. When I was looking for translators of The Odyssey I previewed a few different ones and remember narrowing it down to Fagles, Fitzgerald or Lattimore. Then for one of my birthdays my daughter bought me a lovely edition that we’d seen in a bookshop The Odyssey by Homer and I later bought the matching version of The Iliad. The Iliad by Homer

message 42: by Inkspill (last edited Jul 10, 2019 03:02AM) (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 276 comments Pink wrote: "I like the Fagles translation. When I was looking for translators of The Odyssey I previewed a few different ones and remember narrowing it down to Fagles, Fitzgerald or Lattimore. Then for one of ..."

I've seen these ed, oh yeah, they are lovely and dare I say it tempting. Thanks Pink, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

update
Impulsively purchased Fagle's Odyssey for kindle. I'm looking forward to reading this later in the year.

message 43: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Whoop whoop, I finished The Iliad after 3 months of reading. I expected to enjoy this more than I actually did. I know and love the story, but I didn’t feel compelled to pick up the book and ended up switching to audio, just to get through it. 3 stars.

message 44: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Pink wrote: "Whoop whoop, I finished The Iliad after 3 months of reading. I expected to enjoy this more than I actually did. I know and love the story, but I didn’t feel compelled to pick up the book and ended ..."

Congratulations! Three months. That is an accomplishment.

message 45: by Pink (new)

message 46: by Ila (new)

Ila | 379 comments Hope you like Paradise Lost more than I did. It was too much poetry at a time for me.

message 47: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yes, I’ll see how I go, but at least aim to start in August! I have it on audio as well as physical copy, so I’m not sure which format I’ll use yet.

message 48: by Petra (new)

Petra When I read The Odyssey a few years back, I did a "look inside" comparison on Amazon of the different translations. I compared a number of verses to see how they differed. And they differed a lot. The translations gave different tones to the actions and people, sometimes making a big difference in how the story was interpreted, even in those few verses. It was surprising.
I recommend doing something like this to find the edition that resonates.

Pink, I look forward to your thoughts on Paradise Lost. It's on my TBR list for years.

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I also did this for The Odyssey and went with the same translator for The Iliad. I think the problem is that I’m slightly burnt out from Iliad retellings at the moment and it didn’t live up to The Odyssey for me. Though I suspect I’ll up my star rating to 4.

I’m nervous about Paradise Lost, but now’s as good as any time to start.

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Pink wrote: "I also did this for The Odyssey and went with the same translator for The Iliad. I think the problem is that I’m slightly burnt out from Iliad retellings at the moment and it didn’t live up to The ..."

I took an entire university class on Paradise Lost and ended up really liking it afterward, so feel free to pick my brain if you hit any slogs through, Pink.

« previous 1