Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Aubrey's 2019 Bingo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Jun 13, 2019 01:28PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments BLACKOUT COMPLETE

I'm thinking plan out the Quest for Women Authors, then my other reading women challenge, and then use the results to simultaneously do this one and the Old and New. Seems to be the most efficient way of doing things.

B I N G O
X X O X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - Charlotte Temple - Susanna Rowson (completed 5/10/19)
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover - Little Reunions - Eileen Chang* (completed 3/11/19)
B3: European Classic - Romola - Mary Ann Evans* (completed 1/11/19)
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - The Story of the Stone by Cao Xueqin (completed 4/24/19)
B5: 20th Century Classic - The Death of the Heart - Elizabeth Bowen (completed 3/25/19)

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 - The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton* (completed 4/11/19)
I2: New-to-You Author - Our Nig - Harriet E. Wilson (completed 2/18/19)
I3: Classic Play - for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf by Ntozake Shange (completed 1/14/19)
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country - Bastard Out of Carolina - Dorothy Allison (Ferro–Grumley Award) (completed 1/23/19)
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year - Indiana - Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin (completed 3/15/19)

N1: South American Classic - The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey - Ernesto Che Guevara
N2: Short Story Collection - Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri* (completed 2/5/19)
N3: FREE SPACE - Black Rain - Masuji Ibuse (completed 5/14/19)
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection - The Land of Little Rain - Mary Austin (completed 1/31/19
N5: Asian Classic - Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong - Hồ Xuân Hương (completed 1/6/19)

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - The Woman in the Dunes - Kōbō Abe (Prix du Meilleur Livre Étranger for Roman, Yomiuri Prize for Fiction) (completed 3/8/19)
G2: Classic By a Female Author - I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith (completed 2/12/19)
G3: Classic Non-fiction - West with the Night - Beryl Markham (completed 1/8/19)
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate - Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata* (completed 2/12/19)
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf - Foundation - Isaac Asimov (completed 4/5/19)

O1: 19th Century Classic - Hope Leslie: or, Early Times in the Massachusetts - Catharine Maria Sedgwick (completed 4/30/19)
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - On Strike Against God - Joanna Russ* (completed 4/19/19)
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire - Belinda - Maria Edgeworth (completed 5/15/19)
O4: Classic Romance - By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept - Elizabeth Smart (completed 1/16/19)
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic - Pachinko - Min Jin Lee
(completed 4/3/19)

* = Authors previously read

Completed: 24/25

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9263 comments Mod
Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019 Aubrey.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Katy wrote: "Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019 Aubrey."

Thanks, Katy. I'm being smarter about it this year and have also stocked up on plenty of exciting looking works, so it'll be cool to see what ends up working where.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

It is nice when a book meets the requirements for several challenges.

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Katy wrote: "It is nice when a book meets the requirements for several challenges."

It is indeed. I'm currently rapidly amassing tags on applicable books in order to see what ends up with the potential for fulfilling the most categories. I should have a very efficient list once the dust has settled and I've gotten rid of duplicate author names.

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Did some cleaning up based on how the other reading challenges are working out. I'm going to leave some of these open ended depending on how 2019 turns out.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Way ahead of me, but then I get to see what others are reading for ideas!

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 538 comments Lots of interesting looking books here. You always pick a few I've never heard of, so I like looking at your lists.

message 9: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 06, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Susie wrote: "Way ahead of me, but then I get to see what others are reading for ideas!"

A fair strategy, Susie.

message 10: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 06, 2018 09:26AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Angie wrote: "Lots of interesting looking books here. You always pick a few I've never heard of, so I like looking at your lists."

I have a penchant for ferreting out the underread, so I'm glad it's proved interesting, Angie.

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I've got The House of Mirth all set up for the Bingo Challenge and Foundation and I Capture the Castle lined up on other challenges. Have you read Doris Lessing before or is Briefing for a Descent into Hell your first? I have The Grass is Singing on another list and I really don't know what to expect.

Your lists always look eclectic and fun. Wishing you a wonderful year of reading.

message 12: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Angie wrote: "Lots of interesting looking books here. You always pick a few I've never heard of, so I like looking at your lists."

Me too.

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Tammy wrote: "I've got The House of Mirth all set up for the Bingo Challenge and Foundation and I Capture the Castle lined up on other challenges. Have you read Doris Lessing before or is Briefing for a Descent ..."

I wish you the same, Tammy. As for Lessing, it would be my fourth of hers if I decided to read it. I've both loved and hated her works in the past, so to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect from this one as well. However, I'm actually going to swap it out for Thousand Cranes by Kawabata, as I have this work marked down for another challenge, and I like to minimize where I can.

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments siriusedward wrote: "Angie wrote: "Lots of interesting looking books here. You always pick a few I've never heard of, so I like looking at your lists."

Me too."

Cheers Elena :)

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Great list! 😃 Several books I’ve been wanting to read and all varied and interesting choices! Hope you enjoy and I look forward to your reviews! 😁

message 16: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 07, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Thanks, Erin. I'm hoping the relative stability of these challenge choices rubs off on my Quest for Women ones. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do some highly specific book browsing at my library sales in the months to come.

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3660 comments Oh, I'm definitely copying. By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept for romance--yes!

So many on here I've been wanting to read. Hope you enjoy them, Aubrey.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "Thanks, Erin. I'm hoping the relative stability of these challenge choices rubs off on my Quest for Women ones. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do some highly specific book browsing at my lib..."

There were some very specific categories on that list as I recall! Hope you can find some more gems! 😁

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Kathleen wrote: "Oh, I'm definitely copying. By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept for romance--yes!

So many on here I've been wanting to read. Hope you enjoy them, Aubrey."

Ha ha, glad I could help, Kathleen. I hope you enoy it and the rest of your planned books as well

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Erin wrote: "There were some very specific categories on that list as I recall! Hope you can find some more gems! "

Yes, I came across some big names/titles in my search (Agatha Christie, Colette, Man Who Loves Children, Near to the Wild Heart, Strange Fruit), so I'm hoping one or more of them are available at today's book sale (I've seen many of them more than once and am kicking myself for not snapping up copies then).

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've completed N5 and posted my review above.

message 22: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

First square done; nice work.

message 23: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Thanks Katy :)

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've finished B3 and G3 and posted my reviews above.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've finished I3 and posted my review above (seem to be concentrating on row 3 of late. not sure why).

message 26: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Great starts :0)

message 27: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Thanks Veronique :)

message 28: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've finished I4 and O4 and posted my reviews above (and now I've shifted to row 4. Go figure).

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "I've finished I4 and O4 and posted my reviews above (and now I've shifted to row 4. Go figure)."

Way to go — you’re on a role! And you always choose such interesting books — I’ve added several to my TBR. :)

message 30: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Ha ha, thanks, Erin. I'm trying to stuff as much reading as I can into January before school really picks up, and I guess it's showing.

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've finished N4 (more row 4!) and posted my review above.

message 32: by Erin (last edited Feb 04, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "Ha ha, thanks, Erin. I'm trying to stuff as much reading as I can into January before school really picks up, and I guess it's showing."

Aubrey wrote: "I've finished N4 (more row 4!) and posted my review above."

Indeed! Quite a number and diversity of reading to start the year! =D And congrats on the row 4 bingo!

I have been following your reviews and recommendations and was thrilled to find West with the Night at my local used bookstore yesterday!

message 33: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I'm glad to hear about you acquiring that work, Erin. I actually have no bingos yet, but I'm getting quite close, especially with finishing off N2.

message 34: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "I'm glad to hear about you acquiring that work, Erin. I actually have no bingos yet, but I'm getting quite close, especially with finishing off N2."

Oh, I see! I misunderstood what you meant by “no more row four” and was premature!

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Ha ha, don't sweat it. I've too many challenges, and they're all probably mixing together for most.

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've completed G2 and G4 and linked to my reviews above.

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've completed I2 and linked to my review above.

message 38: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments I've completed G1 and linked to my review above. Now that 'Foundation' is on track for being a group read next month, I'll definitely get a bingo through G then if I haven't done so already.

message 39: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments That's great, any favorites so far, Aubrey?

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "I've completed G1 and linked to my review above. Now that 'Foundation' is on track for being a group read next month, I'll definitely get a bingo through G then if I haven't done so already."

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading Foundation in April! :) Your review of The Woman in the Dunes is interesting and I'm definitely going to read the book despite some misgivings and maybe I will enjoy it more because 1) I haven't yet read Kafka *shame* and 2) you've lowered my expectations so I will probably either agree or be pleasantly surprised, but at least less likely to be disappointed. :)

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments MK wrote: "That's great, any favorites so far, Aubrey?"

No five stars yet, but 'West with the Night' came very close, and 'Bastard Out of Carolina' and 'Thousand Cranes' are pretty high up there. I'm definitely glad I finally got around to all of them, as they had all been on my shelves for a while.

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Erin wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I've completed G1 and linked to my review above. Now that 'Foundation' is on track for being a group read next month, I'll definitely get a bingo through G then if I haven't done so ..."

Ha ha, glad to hear that I've lowered the intimidation factor, Erin. The novel's hype is rather excessive, and I have my usual suspicions for why that is. In terms of Kafka, that just means you have a lot to look forward to :)

message 43: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aubrey wrote: "MK wrote: "That's great, any favorites so far, Aubrey?"

No five stars yet, but 'West with the Night' came very close, and 'Bastard Out of Carolina' and 'Thousand Cranes' are pretty high up there. ..."

The first two have been on my 'to read' list for ages, I should try to get to them this year. I purchased West on kindle, way back in 2013, and Bastard in 2017 ... :/

Thousand Cranes sounds pretty interesting. Added it to my tbr :)

message 44: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Ha ha, I had both WwtN and BOoC on my shelves since 2014, and TC since 2011. One of the best parts of wrangling these challenges together is finally finding an excuse to shove neglected works to the forefront. I hope you like them all.

message 45: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Exactly! :D

ty :)

message 46: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Wow...you are making great progress on this challenge and sounds like some good books!

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Thanks, Susie, and yes, it's certainly been an interesting mix so far.

message 48: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Finally made myself a bingo card :) (it's at the bottom of the first post because I prefer text a tad more).

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Looking good!

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2424 comments Thanks Pink :)

Anyway, I've finished B2 and linked to my review above. I'll update the card when I'm able.

« previous 1