Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Aubrey's 2019 Quest for Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Nov 21, 2019 02:40PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments CHALLENGE COMPLETE

*dances in excitement*

I'm going to try for both Decade and Century again. Let's see how it goes.

My Century Challenge, Authors - Some Old, Some New

1790s - Charlotte Temple - Susanna Rowson (completed 5/10/19)
1800s - Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong - Hồ Xuân Hương (completed 1/6/19)
1810s - Original Letters from India - Eliza Fay (completed 9/9/19)
1820s - Hope Leslie: or, Early Times in the Massachusetts - Catharine Maria Sedgwick (completed 4/30/19)
1830s - Indiana - Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin (completed 3/15/19)
1840s - Woman in the Nineteenth Century - Margaret Fuller (completed 2/22/19)
1850s - Our Nig - Harriet E. Wilson (completed 2/18/19)
1860s - Romola by Mary Ann Evans* (completed 1/11/19)
1870s - The Woman in Battle: The Civil War Narrative of Loreta Janeta Velazquez, Cuban Woman and Confederate Soldier by Loreta Janeta Velázquez (completed 6/26/19)
1880s - Doctor Zay by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps (completed 5/21/19)

My Decade Challenge, Authors - Some Old, Some New

1936 - Summer Will Show - Sylvia Townsend Warner* (completed 2/25/19)
1937 - The Collected Poems - Sara Teasdale (completed 5/25/19)
1938 - The Death of the Heart - Elizabeth Bowen (completed 3/25/19)
1939 - Fighting for Life - S. Josephine Baker (completed 9/20/19)
1940 - The Man Who Loved Children - Christina Stead (completed 6/18/19)
1941 - Between the Acts - Virginia Woolf* (completed 3/4/19)
1942 - West with the Night - Beryl Markham (completed 1/8/19)
1943 - Told on the King's Highway - Eleanore M. Jewett (completed 5/3/19)
1944 - Strange Fruit - Lillian E. Smith (completed 5/29/19)
1945 - By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept - Elizabeth Smart (completed 1/16/19)

*Read Authors

Completed: 20/20

Quest for Women 2020 Plans
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3319 comments An impressive list so far Aubrey!

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Sue. I did some planning for this back on my 2018 Quest, so I'm rather prepared. The only issue is that I don't own two of the books, but I'm going to leave those slots open ended, in hopes that I'll acquire either these or other lit that fits the bill (I acquired my 1790s and my 1880s works through such whimsical purchases).

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Well, I have holes in all my plans drawn up thus far, but I'm loathe to resort to more contemporary reads so early on. I'll just have to keep an active lookout for certain years, especially the ones that I have absolutely nothing added for.

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Your lists look great. So many books I haven't heard of too! I've only read one, Indiana, which I liked. I have Belinda pencilled in for my 1800s choice and have high hopes for that one. I just need to remember to find one of the original editions and not the 1810 version which was changed.

message 6: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:06AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Pink wrote: "Your lists look great. So many books I haven't heard of too! I've only read one, Indiana, which I liked. I have Belinda pencilled in for my 1800s choice and have high hopes for that one. I just nee..."

Thanks, Pink. I hadn't heard of the issue with 'Belinda', but I'll probably be reading the poetry for the 1800s and have 'Belinda' for the Bingo Comedy spot, so it won't impact me as much. I'm hoping to fill in some blanks at the book sale I'm at right now, so stay tuned.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Ah yes, I hadn’t thought of the date implications so much, more the fact that the story was changed and tamed, so I want to avoid that later version.

Good luck at your book sale!

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4997 comments Mod
I have read works by several of your chosen authors, but I’m unfamiliar with any books on your list. Happy reading.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Bob. I should be able to consolidate my choices soon, as I can fill in gaps with one library or another.

message 10: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Great list,Aubrey.
Happy Reading!

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks Elena :) The same to you!

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I believe I've consolidated my decade list, although I still have scoping out to do with regards to the 1810s. Of all the books I've added in, I've either liked the author of them or heard good things about them.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Interesting selections as always! I hope you enjoy them and I look forward to reading your reviews! 😃

message 14: by Aubrey (last edited Mar 24, 2019 12:18PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Erin. I look forward to reading them. (Apologies for the belatedness. I believe I meant to get around to responding and then never did.)

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "Thanks, Erin. I look forward to reading them. (Apologies for the belatedness. I believe I meant to get around to reaponding and then never did.)"

No need to apologize! I think I always take a long time to reply, or edit and delete a few times! 😅

I will be especially curious to know what you think of The Woman in Battle: The Civil War Narrative of Loreta Janeta Velazquez, Cuban Woman and Confederate Soldier; I only recently heard of it and it sounds like it could be quite interesting!

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I am as well. It makes me thankful I'm doing this challenge during school, as I'm able to access a copy through my university's deal with JSTOR. If anyone's interested in this title and has JSTOR access, they have the entire book uploaded online.

message 17: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed the 1800's of the Century challenge and posted my review above.

message 18: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed 1860's of the Century Challenge and 1942 of the Decade Challenge and posted my reviews above.

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4056 comments Excellent books and reviews, Aubrey. I'm looking forward to both of them!

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Kathleen. I hope you enjoy both of them.

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I finished 1945 for the Decade Challenge and posted my review above.

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've finished the 1840s and 1850s for my century challenge and linked to my reviews above.

message 23: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed 1936 for my decade challenge and linked to my review above.

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed 1941 for my decade challenge and linked to my review above.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've finished the 1830s for my century challenge and linked to my review above.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed 1938 for my Decade challenge and linked to my review above.

message 27: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed the 1820s for my century challenge and linked to my review above.

message 28: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1233 comments Aubrey wrote: "Pink wrote: "Your lists look great. So many books I haven't heard of too! I've only read one, Indiana, which I liked. I have Belinda pencilled in for my 1800s choice and have high hopes for that on..."

I wouldn't call Belinda a comedy. And I don't think the first edition version is available, unfortunately. All new editions are based on the revised (censored) third edition. It's easy enough to look up the changes though, and quite interesting. They don't really impact the story to a great degree, it's just that the original version is both more progressive and makes more sense!

message 29: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Leni wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "Pink wrote: "Your lists look great. So many books I haven't heard of too! I've only read one, Indiana, which I liked. I have Belinda pencilled in for my 1800s choice and have high ho..."

Perhaps, but from what little I've read so far, it's definitely a satire, so it still works. I'll look into the changes when I can.

message 30: by Pink (last edited May 03, 2019 02:58AM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Oxford World Classics published the second edition of Belinda, from 1802, which is much the same as the 1801 version. I think they were the first to do this, as most publishers (maybe all others?) use the revised third edition from 1810, which has changes that seem to censor the story.

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've finished 1943 for my decade challenge and linked to my review above.

message 32: by Aubrey (last edited May 22, 2019 02:32PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've finished the 1790s for my century challenge and linked to my review above.

message 33: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed the 1880s for my century challenge and linked to my review above.

message 34: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 786 comments When I clicked over to Amazon to get Doctor Zay, I was very surprised by the default cover for the Kindle edition.

message 35: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments If you're talking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0071A... it's rather asinine looking, isn't it.

message 36: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 786 comments Aubrey wrote: "If you're talking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0071A... it's rather asinine looking, isn't it."

That's it!

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've finally thrashed out my final quest list, and I only had resort to one eBook. Now all that's left to do is to read.

message 38: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Well done and good luck with your non challenge reading for the rest of the year :)

message 39: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Pink. I'm actually going to take a break before finishing this particular challenge up, as one of the books I need might be checked out till September (ridiculous academic loan policies). Once that's free though, I'll be checking it and another book out of my university library in order to cut down on driving (it's a friggin pain to drive around the university city). I just have to remember to stalk the book page in case the patron turns the book in early.

message 40: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I know that feeling, waiting months for particular books to become available at the library. I’m sure you’ll fill that time with some interesting reads, you always have books that inspire me. I love my library, but sometimes all the books arrive at once and I can’t get through them quick enough. Still, it’s a good problem to have.

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Ha ha, I'm actually set short term wise on reading things that I can't imagine fulfilling a task for any of this group's reading challenges, so hopefully you're inspired by more contemporary things than usual.

message 42: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed 1944 for my decade challenge and posted my review above. I'm currently reading the last two I have on hand, and then it's the long wait till one of my books is checked back into the library and I can pick it and the other one up.

message 43: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I've completed the 1870s for my century challenge and 1940 for my decade, and until a certain 1939 book returns to my library, here I shall be for a bit.

message 44: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3417 comments Mod
Excellent progress! You are almost finished.

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4056 comments You an afford to sit for a bit, Aubrey. :-)

I think your 1940's link is off? I really appreciated your review of The Woman in Battle, since it is unlikely I will ever be able to access it. Fascinating!

message 46: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Lynn.

Kathleen, thanks for letting me know about the link. As for the work, I'm sure there are some copies floating around the salewaves. Perhaps my hoped for biography will spur a wider distribution eventually.

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments I somehow managed to come across one of the books I had been planning on checking out from my university library at a sale, so that's going right now. Fingers crossed my final one actually gets turned in within a week, else I'm going to have to do some finagling.

message 48: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments At long last, I've moved towards fulfilling this quest by completing my 1810's for my Century challenge. I'm looking to finally pick up the work for my 1939 task tomorrow, so fingers crossed that it's still available.

message 49: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9655 comments Mod
Wishing you luck on picking up your book.

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2629 comments Thanks, Katy.

Also, with the finishing of my 1939 book for my decade challenge, I have finally finished my 2019 Quest for Women. Time to start planning for next year's.

« previous 1