Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Lynn 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Sep 20, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

message 2: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Sep 20, 2019 01:55PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3058 comments Mod
📚Book📚Book📚Book📚Book📚Book

✅ B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic Candide by Voltaire (1759) 3/11/2019
✅ B2: Book Chosen by the Cover A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (1959) 2/2/2019
✅ B3: European Classic Heidi (1880) 3/29/2019
✅ B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List The Hound of the Baskervilles (1901) 3/25/2019
✅ B5: 20th Century Classic Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938) 2/18/2019

✅ I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (1930) 2/10/2019
✅ I2: New-to-You Author Chess Story by Stefan Zweig (1941) 1/26/2019
✅ I3: Classic Play An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde 6/7/2019
✅ I4: Literary Prize of Your Country Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington (1921) Pulitzer Prize 1922 4/7/2019
✅ I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (1964) Lewis Carroll Shelf Award 1965 3/30/2019

✅ N1: South American Classic Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1981) 6/19/2019
✅ N2: Short Story Collection Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (1902) 1/12/2019
✅ N3: The Jilting of Granny Weatherall by Katherine Anne Porter (1930) 1/11/2019
✅ N4: Poetry or Essay Collection New Hampshire Robert Frost 3/16/2019
✅ N5: Asian Classic Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922) 5/8/2019

✅ G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize Moon Tiger (1987) 3/24/2019
✅ G2: Classic By a Female Author Ethan Frome Edith Wharton (1911) 2/6/2019
✅ G3: Classic Non-fiction Orthodoxy G. K. Chesterton (1908) 1/27/2019
✅ G4: Written by Nobel Laureate Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck (1937) 7/08/2019
✅ G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain (1934) 1/13/2019

✅ O1: 19th Century Classic The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) 3/26/2019
✅ O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne (1865) 1/19/2019
✅ O3: Classic Comedy or Satire Cheaper by the Dozen (1948) by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey 3/10/2019
✅ O4: Classic Romance Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1390) translator Simon Armitage 4/13/2019
✅ O5: 21st Century Potential Classic The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Other challenge links:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

reply | flag *

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9433 comments Mod
Hope you have fun with this challenge for 2019 Helen, and nice plans so far.

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good suggestions :)

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5029 comments Mod
I'm like Terris, I don't have a plan for all the categories yet. You are off to a good start!

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ | 184 comments A really good list so far! Jane Eyre is the book that got me reading classics. I figured that since I liked the movie, I should be able to get through the book!

I loved Heidi as a kid, and really enjoyed Snow Falling On Cedars this year. Good luck!

message 7: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 03, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

MJ wrote: "A really good list so far! Jane Eyre is the book that got me reading classics. I figured that since I liked the movie, I should be able to get through the book!

I loved Heidi as a kid, and really..."

Thanks. Three of these books are rereads for me. I loved Heidi as a child, in the 1960s!! It's time to read it again. I read The Scarlet Letter and Jane Eyre in High School. Honestly, I do not think I got much out of them - my fault, not the fault of the books. I really do not remember much about them. The Scarlet Letter made me paranoid because I wondered if the teacher knew something about us and it was some sort of hint about appropriate behavior. Perhaps the teacher just saw it as a perfect opportunity to give us some "just say no" speeches. I am quite sure that was not the main point of the book.

message 8: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 03, 2018 04:42PM) (new)

Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good suggestions :)"

I got my good idea from you. I was thinking a nice Asian book would be The Housekeeper and the Professor that I got from your lists. It is a recent book, with prestigious prizes, but perhaps I will be stretching the name "classic" a bit.

I have owned Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America for about 20 years and still have not read it. This would be a perfect classic nonfiction.

Comedy is so subjective, I would be afraid to mention anything for that!!

Good luck

Shirley (stampartiste) | 719 comments Great books so far, Helen! Your recollection of reading The Scarlet Letter in high school cracked me up. 😄

message 10: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "Great books so far, Helen! Your recollection of reading The Scarlet Letter in high school cracked me up. 😄"

;)

message 11: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good suggestions :)"

I got my good idea from yo..."

Thanks! I like the Lincoln idea -- I'll keep that one in mind.
And I agree about Comedy, I'm just going to have to search around a little bit to satisfy that category!
I hope you enjoy The Housekeeper and The Professor!

message 12: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good suggestions :)"

I got my goo..."

I think I have come up with a Comedy/Satire idea. In fact, I would have started it today, if we were already in 2019. I might read
Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain. I own this book The Unabridged Mark Twain and about once a year I read another selection from it. The American Claimant / Pudd'nhead Wilson I also own this one, so two possible sources for Pudd'nhead Wilson. I like Twain in small doses.

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good suggestions :)"..."

I read Pudd'nhead Wilson last January! I think you'll like it.
For comedy I also thought of P.G. Wodehouse. His Jeeves & Wooster books are so funny! But I ended up choosing The Diary of a Nobody. I'll see what it's like :)

message 14: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you have any good s..."

I read one or two of the Jeeves books a few years. They were very light and fun. The Diary of a Nobody looks like it would be very interesting. It would be fun to compare everyday life from the late 1800s to today. It makes me think in some ways of Please Don't Eat the Daisies

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "Terris wrote: "Nice start, Helen! I'm still planning mine, just getting ideas. Need ideas for nonfiction, comedy/satire, and Asian, if you ..."

Oh yes, that one sounds like fun!

message 16: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 12, 2019 04:19PM) (new)

Woo hoo! First entry Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling.

In case it is confusing. I changed my user name from Helen to Lynn to avoid being linked with a book discussion that was veering too close to politics for my comfort. My real life name is Helen Lynn. My family always called me that when I was little.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments I'm glad to know that Helen -- I mean Lynn! I kept seeing this new name popping up and couldn't figure out if I knew you. The answer is "Yes!" Congratulations on finishing your first read! :)

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "I'm glad to know that Helen -- I mean Lynn! I kept seeing this new name popping up and couldn't figure out if I knew you. The answer is "Yes!" Congratulations on finishing your first read! :)"

Thanks Terris

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Lynn wrote: "Woo hoo! First entry Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling..."

Congrats; was it good.

message 20: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 12, 2019 07:49PM) (new)

Katy wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Woo hoo! First entry Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling..."

Congrats; was it good."

I would love to say, "It was fabulous; what a great way to start the year! " Actually, I gave it a three-star. The Just So Stories are a short story collection. Some were wonderful and others not so.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Good to know, I've been wanting to read them for a while.

message 22: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "Katy wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I would love to say, "It was fabulous; what a great way to start the year! " Actually, I gave it a three-star. The Just So Stories are a short story collection. Some were wonderful and others not so.
..."

That seems to happen a lot with short story collections, a roller coaster ride, good, great, bad, and you've got to be kidding they published that. Still your are off to a good start.

message 23: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Bob wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Katy wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I would love to say, "It was fabulous; what a great way to start the year! " Actually, I gave it a three-star. The Just So Stories are a short story collectio..."

LOL Bob. Like many other story collections for children it started as the bedtime stories that Kipling told to his children. He had to tell the stories "Just So", thus the name. The publication year was 1902, so some things he said, just wouldn't be said today.

message 24: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 02, 2019 07:46AM) (new)

6/25 I just added Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton for my nonfiction classic G3. I had considered Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America but Chesterton won out. I listened to Walden in the car for several months and I wanted a similar type of book. So I partially listened to and partially actually read this one. I like Chesterton.

I2 New to me author was Stefan Zweig Chess Story.

I often read several books at the same time. Right now I'm only reading a children's book from the library at school. It stays on the desk in the classroom. I have actually picked up five different books in the last hour to start and can't decide. Sigh.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments You are cruising right along Lynn, only one more for a BINCO. Congrats! I loved Chess Story and The Postman Always rings twice and want to read Orthodoxy.

message 26: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Thanks Sue.

message 27: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 03, 2019 05:28AM) (new)

Last night I finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. This is now one of my all-time favorite books. Review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

For now I have placed it in "Chosen for the cover" B2, but it would also work for B5, I2, I4, G1 or O2.

Also, here is a nice list to pull possible books from : 100 Penguin Classics

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/th...

message 28: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments What a great (and beautiful) list! I've never heard about A Canticle for Leibowitz, but your review definitely sparked my interest.

message 29: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

I have my first BINGO. It is all the 2s across!

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. Chess Story by Stefan Zweig Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Congratulations! I have read three of the five. Ethan Frome was my first book by Edith Wharton, been hooked ever since.

message 31: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments Congrats, Lynn!

message 32: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 07, 2019 07:00AM) (new)

Bob wrote: "Congratulations! I have read three of the five. Ethan Frome was my first book by Edith Wharton, been hooked ever since."

Thanks Bob and Rosemarie. I gave it a 3/5 just because it is so terribly sad. The writing is gorgeous and the story is gripping, but it leaves the harshest aftertaste at the end! I will read more of hers. I have now read two of her books and one short story.

message 33: by MK (last edited Feb 07, 2019 07:05AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lynn wrote: "I have my first BINGO. It is all the 2s across!

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.Chess Story by Stefan Zweig Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne"

Wooohooo! *running high five*

message 34: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

MK wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I have my first BINGO. It is all the 2s across!

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.Chess Story by Stefan Zweig Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling [bookcover:Ethan Frome|2974..."

Haha! Back at 'ya.

message 35: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lynn wrote: "Haha! Back at 'ya. "

:D ty!

Isn't silly how good it felt when that row lined up? :D

message 36: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 09, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

I just order Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata. I got a "Used but Never Read" copy from Amazon for $6. This book looks very good. Kawabata will be a new author for me and I have high hopes. Potentially this book could go in multiple squares: Asian Classic, Classic Romance, or 20th Century Author.

message 37: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Or a book by a Nobel laureate :)

It looks like a great book, Lynn. Hey, also a good "Y" author for A-Z :D

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
It's nice when a book can fill more than one square. I still need both the Asian and Romance square, I will look forward to anything you have to say about this one. You never know where the next good read is coming from.

message 39: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 12, 2019 09:58AM) (new)

Today is library day at school for my classes. I need to get a book and model reading during library, so I picked up Cheaper by the Dozen. It is really funny! I thought I might use it for O3 Classic comedy. My question is, does it really count as a classic? It did not win any awards, but has been published and republished in 87 editions since it first was printed in 1948. Plus there have been two major English language movies made from it.

message 40: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2421 comments I love that book!!
I just looked at the book listing here on Goodreads and 369 users list it as a classic. I'd count it! :)

message 41: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "I love that book!!
I just looked at the book listing here on Goodreads and 369 users list it as a classic. I'd count it! :)"

Good to know Terris!! I just started it today.

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Lynn wrote: "Today is library day at school for my classes. I need to get a book and model reading during library, so I picked up Cheaper by the Dozen. It is really funny! I thought I might use ..."

I'd count it!

message 43: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Feb 13, 2019 02:39AM) (new)

Thanks Katy and Terris. :)

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
This is a seventy year old book rated by 34200 readers with an average of 4 stars. I wonder how many other seventy year old books can make that claim. I’d put it on my shelf as a classic.

message 45: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lynn wrote: "Today is library day at school for my classes. I need to get a book and model reading during library, so I picked up Cheaper by the Dozen. It is really funny! I thought I might use ..."

I have that book on my kindle, Lynn. I remember buying it, it sounds like a great read :). I haven't gotten to it yet ... :p

I'll be interested to see your review!

message 46: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

MK wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Today is library day at school for my classes. I need to get a book and model reading during library, so I picked up Cheaper by the Dozen. It is really funny! I thought..."

Thanks Bob and MK for your input. So far I love it at only about 15% in.

message 47: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nice :)

message 48: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

I just finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier . It may really be the best novel ever written. I have not read every novel yet, so perhaps not, but probably it is.

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Lynn wrote: "I just finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It may really be the best novel ever written. I have not read every novel yet, so perhaps not, but probably it is."

Wow that’s quite a statement! I really enjoyed Rebecca as well. Have you read any of her other books? I think I liked My Cousin Rachel even more!

message 50: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lynn wrote: "I just finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It may really be the best novel ever written. I have not read every novel yet, so perhaps not, but probably it is."

!!!!!

I really have to read this book sometime, hopefully this year. It always sounds fabulous when I hear people talk about it, and then I never get around to reading it :/

« previous 1 3