Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Bingo 2019: Rules, Questions, Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Classics Bingo 2019

The goal is to focus your reading on literary classics.

Read a book that fits the description of a square. You may NOT count the same book twice for different categories in this challenge. Each book can be applied to only one square, even if it fulfills the requirements of multiple squares. All books read to mark off squares must be finished in 2019.

Level One Bingo
Four Corners: Mark off the four outside corners of the Bingo board.
Five-in-a-Row: Mark off five squares in a row. This can be done horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Level Two Bingo
Small Box: Mark off all the 9 inner squares of the board (including the free square), leaving blank the 16 outside border squares.

Level Three Bingo
Outside Box: Mark off all 16 of the outer squares, leaving blank the 9 inner squares.

Level Four Bingo
Blackout! Mark off all the squares of the board.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Classic Bingo 2019
Clarifications & Suggestions:

★B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic
Read a book published (written) before 1801.
★B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
Choose a book whose cover appeals to you
★B3: European Classic
Read a classic that is either set in the given geographical area, or is written by an author native to that geographical area. Goodreads Places: Books categorized by setting or Wikipedia: List of Novelists by Nationality
★B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List
Read a book form Telegraph's 100 Novels List, On Goodreads, On List Challenges
★B5: 20th Century Classic
Read a book published (written) from January 1, 1901 – December 31, 2000)

★I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
Read a book which has been on the group shelf before this year.
★I2: New-to-You Author
Read a book by an author whose works you have never read.
★I3: Classic Play
Read a classic play.
★I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
Read a book that was awarded a literary prize of the country or region where you live. Goodreads List of Literary Prizes or Wikipedia List of Literary Prizes
★I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year
Read a classic that has been on your bookshelf for a year or more, or one that has been on the shelf longer than the average book.

★N1: South American Classic
Read a classic that is either set in the given geographical area, or is written by an author native to that geographical area. Goodreads Places: Books categorized by setting or Wikipedia: List of Novelists by Nationality
★N2: Short Story Collection
Read a short story or a collection of short stories.
★N3: FREE SPACE
Read any book you like
★N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
Read a collection of poetry or essays.
★N5: Asian Classic

★G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
Read a book that was awarded a literary prize of a country/region other than where you live. Goodreads List of Literary Prizes or Wikipedia List of Literary Prizes
★G2: Classic By a Female Author
Read a classic written by a female author.
★G3: Classic Non-fiction
Read a classic that has been shelved on Goodreads with the specified genre. (Look on the right side of a book’s Goodreads page for its listed genres.)
★G4: Written by Nobel Laureate
Read a book that was written by a Nobel Prize-winning author. List of Nobel Laureates
★G5: Book from the Group’s 2019 Bookshelf
Read at least one group read in 2019

★O1: 19th Century Classic
Read a book published (written) from January 1, 1801 – December 31, 1900)
★O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy
Read a classic that has been shelved on Goodreads with the specified genre. (Look on the right side of a book’s Goodreads page for its listed genres.)
★O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
★O4: Classic Romance
★O5: 21st Century Potential Classic
Read a book published from January 1, 2001 – Present that you think will become a classic.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

This Challenge Starts January 1 2019, but the folder & discussion thread are open so that you can begin to plan your year. Bingo can be planned ahead or you can just collect squares as you read throughout the year.

This challenge can be used with your other challenges. Books and authors selected here can be used to fill other challenge needs.

NOTE: Start your own thread for your challenge in this folder.

Happy Reading!

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Here is the challenge in list form. You can copy this list to use in your personal Bingo thread.

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
B3: European Classic
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List
B5: 20th Century Classic

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
I2: New-to-You Author
I3: Classic Play
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year

N1: South American Classic
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
N5: Asian Classic

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
G2: Classic By a Female Author
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf

O1: 19th Century Classic
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
O4: Classic Romance
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Start your own thread in this folder and begin planning.

Happy reading in 2019.

message 7: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments A nice variety of layouts. I especially appreciate N5 and G2 :) (as expected).

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Aubrey wrote: "A nice variety of layouts. I especially appreciate N5 and G2 :) (as expected)."

Not too many surprises here (as expected) ;)

message 9: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
62 views in the first 18 minutes it was posted. This was an anxiously awaited post!! I am excited.

message 10: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Thanks,Katy.
Awesome challenge.

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina This is great Kathy. Like this year I won’t sign up until mid year. I’m focusing on my tbr and if the books fit the challenge I will fill them in. The choices do look like a lot of fun.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3218 comments Great board Katy! I love the new additions!

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments Another great bingo board Katy! I like the addition of the group shelf books, and that we have multiple opportunities to "travel." :-)

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Hoping you all have fun with it this coming year.

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments I have never done a challenge before (joined the group mid-2018), but this looks doable.

Already working on my card. : )

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Glad to have you join us Christopher.

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments A brilliant board!!!-I'm certainly going to join in with this one! :)

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Thank you, and glad to have you.

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Would Gothic lit fit in at all with Fantasy/Sci Fi if the work had overt supernatural elements?

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Aubrey wrote: "Would Gothic lit fit in at all with Fantasy/Sci Fi if the work had overt supernatural elements?"

I would think so.

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Excellent. Thanks.

message 22: by MJ (new)

MJ | 186 comments I've been lurking and waiting! I did terribly this year reading-wise. I think I managed 3 from my 2018 Bingo (But one of them was The Stand - the long version!)

I am excited to start anew and do better in 2019. Thank-you for this!!

message 23: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2616 comments Great board, Katy! I love all the categories :)

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you. and I'm excited to see how all of you fill up your boards during the year.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Great categories! Thank you for coming up with these fun challenges! 😃

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you all for the encouragement on continuing to try a few new categories each year. Enjoy your challenges & books.

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 26 comments Definitely in! This is perfect since I'm trying to read more classics.

message 28: by Susie (last edited Dec 05, 2018 04:50AM) (new)

Susie | 754 comments Thanks Katy for continuing to lead this challenge and encouraging all of us!

This challenge has redefined a lot of what I read...for the better and is my steady 'companion' throughout the year.
Not to mention the great group of fellow travellers!

message 29: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments I am watching this from the sidelines and may jump in during the year - it looks a lot of fun and combines to of my favourite things: bingo (and board games) and reading :) But I have a question: Do they all have to be classics (in the groups definition)? I may for example read a book that has won a foreign literary prize after 2000 (and by foreign I guess you just mean from antoher country/region than your own?)

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Johanne wrote: "...Do they all have to be classics (in the groups definition)?..."

The goal is to focus your reading on literary classics. But you will notice that several squares do not indicate classic in the instructions, those can be newer books if you like.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Susie wrote: "Thanks Katy for continuing to lead this challenge and encouraging all of us!.."

Erica wrote: "Definitely in! This is perfect since I'm trying to read more classics."

Glad you are with us in the challenge.

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments Can someone remind me (again!) how to embed the bingo graphic in my post? Where does one find the 'code' for this?
Thank you in advance!

message 33: by Christopher (last edited Dec 05, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Susie wrote: "Can someone remind me (again!) how to embed the bingo graphic in my post? Where does one find the 'code' for this?
Thank you in advance!"

You mean like this?

I right-clicked on the image and chose "open image in new tab," then used the url for the new tab as the middle of the post-an-image sandwich, so to speak...

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 05, 2018 01:41PM) (new)

Susie wrote: "Can someone remind me (again!) how to embed the bingo graphic in my post? Where does one find the 'code' for this?
Thank you in advance!"

If Christopher's tip doesn't work for you, then just copy the code below and then paste it into your post
-- remove the space after the first <
-- remove the space before the last >
Then post

< img src="https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/comp... >

message 35: by Susie (last edited Dec 05, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

Susie | 754 comments Katy wrote: "Susie wrote: "Can someone remind me (again!) how to embed the bingo graphic in my post? Where does one find the 'code' for this?
Thank you in advance!"

If Christopher's tip doesn't work for you, t..."

I'll try both so I can learn...thanks!
And I'm screencapping this for next year!!

message 36: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments Thanks Katy

message 37: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

So sorry that my tip won't work because Goodreads cuts off the entire URL

message 38: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments Katy wrote: "So sorry that my tip won't work because Goodreads cuts off the entire URL"

I wondered if it was me! Thanks for clearing it up!

message 39: by MJ (last edited Dec 05, 2018 05:11PM) (new)

MJ | 186 comments Do people in the group actually strategize their reading for this challenge? As in, aiming for a Level 2, or a Level 3?

I considered aiming for the sixteen outer squares (Level 3) but some of the books I really want to read are in the inner. I ignored my Bingo 2018 challenge for most of the year, and I want to pay more attention to it in 2019. Will I feel stifled if I get too systematic about it? To make it worse, I've given myself multiple options for some of the prompts, and I want to read them all. Oy!

And yes, this is supposed to be fun! I am determined to read Middlemarch this year!

message 40: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments MJ wrote: "Do people in the group actually strategize their reading for this challenge? As in, aiming for a Level 2, or a Level 3?

I considered aiming for the six outer squares (Level 3) but some of the book..."

I always go for blackout, but I'm a completionist like that, so. Comes with a high risk of burn out, so I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to deal with that.

message 41: by MJ (new)

MJ | 186 comments Aubrey wrote: I always go for blackout, but I'm a completionist like that, so. Comes with a high risk of burn out, so I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to deal with that...."

Burnout. That's exactly right. Then sometime in November I get a little frantic because I never read as much as I'd like to. It's like having eyes bigger than one's stomach, but with books.

message 42: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Ru | 3 comments Would like to join the challenge)) what should I do for that? Thank you

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Svetlana wrote: "Would like to join the challenge)) what should I do for that? Thank you"

Start posting in this thread that I've set up for you.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 44: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 237 comments I think I might join, too. Sounds fun! :)

message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments It's always a fun one, because you get to decide how challenging you want it to be!

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Samanta wrote: "I think I might join, too. Sounds fun! :)"

Good for you.

message 47: by Stefania (new)

Stefania | 71 comments I think I'm in, it sound really good!

B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
B3: European Classic
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List
B5: 20th Century Classic

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
I2: New-to-You Author
I3: Classic Play
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year

N1: South American Classic
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
N5: Asian Classic

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
G2: Classic By a Female Author
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf

O1: 19th Century Classic
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
O4: Classic Romance
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Stefania wrote: "I think I'm in, it sound really good!

..."

Set up your own thread in this folder to track your progress.

message 49: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

It is almost 2019. You can join Bingo at any time during the year. Feel free to plan ahead or add the books as you read. Good luck and happy reading to all.

message 50: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimi_lady_manx) | 1 comments Katy wrote: "Start your own thread in this folder and begin planning.

Happy reading in 2019."
Well, I think I'll see if I can just hoover this, if I can't read 24 books in a year, I'll have lost my touch...actually in 2 mos but I'm sure covering the bases will be tricky. So here's a question. Is a classic by a woman author count Because she's a woman who writes classics or the book itself has to be a classic? I'm thinking of The Glass Blowers by du Maurier. She is certainly a classic woman writer BUT I'm not so sure about the book itself!

« previous 1 3