Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > 2019 Old & New Classic Challenge Questions & Discussions

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 03, 2018 09:09AM) (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
Rules, Instructions, and Discussion:

This challenge is designed to help increase our reading of the classics and reduce our TBR's. This challenge commits you to reading 12 books next year. Choose 12 books you want to read and list two alternates, to use as substitutes, should one of your choices need to be replaced. This 12 + 2 challenge will last all year and you can read at your own pace. Once you create your reading thread, you and other members can comment on your progress.

Only six of the 12 books selected are required be Classics based on the Groups definitions. At least 3 books from the Old School category (published before 1900) and 3 books from the New School category (published between 1900 & 1999). The other six and your two alternates can be any genre or age you wish to read.

To Create your challenge thread simply go to the top of this folder click on the title (2019 Old & New Classics Challenge). Then look to the right for the words (new topic), click that, a new screen will open. In the box (topic) type the name you wish to give your challenge. In the (comment) box list your books chosen for the challenge. Use the (add book/author) link so that others can link to your choices and learn more about the book you have selected.

Starting today you can begin creating your challenge thread. The whole month of December is dedicated to planning your challenge. You can add your books and make edit adjustments till December 31st. No challenge reading can start till January 1, 2019.

If you're a current Group Member, you have until midnight on 12/31/2018 to finalize your list. You can post your list and make all the changes you want until then, but no changes after midnight 12/31/2018. If you join our Classics Group after that date, you may still participate by posting and editing your list within two weeks of joining the group, but you can't make changes after you post your list.

For New Members joining in 2019, in addition to the above rules, feel free to adjust your challenge according to the number of months left in the year. Example: If you join in March 2019 and wish to participate, list 9 books and 2 alternates. If your joined after June 2019 list the appropriate number of books according to the number of months left, but only pick one alternate.

Challenge ideas:
The biggest rule is create a challenge that will be entertaining and fun. Some possibilities are:
1. 12 Decades-pick one book from each of 12 consecutive decades, perhaps 1870-1980.
2. 12 New Authors-pick books from authors you haven't previously read.
3. Group Bookshelf Catch Up-pick books you haven't read or want to reread from the groups bookshelf.
4. Books Sitting On MY Shelf For At Least One Year-pick 12 books that you have been putting off for a year or more.

Remember to add your two alternates to any challenge you set up.

Example of a Challenge:

Bob's 12 + 2 Classic Challenge

1899 and earlier
1. Les Misérables
2. Great Expectations
3. The Woman in White
1900-1999
4. The Great Gatsby
5. The Red Pony
6. Of Human Bondage
My Wild Card Six
7. The Return of the Soldier
8. The Pillars of the Earth
9. Ender's Shadow
10. 2001: A Space Odyssey
11. The Law
12. Sin Killer

Alternates
A-1. War and Peace
A-2. Gone with the Wind

Feel free to mark your finished books anyway you wish. After you have finished a book your can strike it off your list. Directions are listed at the top of the comment box (some html is ok). You can list the date you finished or add the number of stars you though the book deserved.

Examples of marking books completed:
1899 and earlier
✓1. Les Misérables
2. Great Expectations 11/20/19
3. The Woman in White
1900-1999
4. The Great Gatsby Finished 1/25/19
5. The Red Pony 5 Stars, Finished 5/5/19

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2445 comments Yay! I'm glad I'm here when this challenge begins for once. I know I could've played catch up last year, but I had committed to too many other challenges by then.

message 3: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Thanks,Bob.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 632 comments Yay, finally time to plan my 2019 challenges

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments I'm going to look at my "Wall of Shame" and see if I can shape it up into a twelve book challenge.

message 6: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Christopher wrote: "I'm going to look at my "Wall of Shame" and see if I can shape it up into a twelve book challenge."

ROFL !! :D

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Glad to see this challenge again too! 😃

By books that are classics by the group’s definition, does that mean it is on the group’s bookshelf or only that it would be eligible to be so nominated? If the latter, I think I’ll make mine an Asian classics Old and New challenge. 😁

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9279 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "Glad to see this challenge again too! 😃

By books that are classics by the group’s definition, does that mean it is on the group’s bookshelf or only that it would be eligible to be so nominated? If..."

eligible to be so nominated
Have fun with your challenge

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Katy wrote: "Erin wrote: "Glad to see this challenge again too! 😃

By books that are classics by the group’s definition, does that mean it is on the group’s bookshelf or only that it would be eligible to be so ..."

Thank you, Katy! 😊

message 10: by MK (last edited Dec 04, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Hmmmm, this list making is tough.

Someone mentioned the possibility of more alternates. Have you considered this option? :D

How about 4 alternates:
1 for Old School
1 for New School
2 for Wild Cards

Then you have 3 out of every 4 book choices as possibilities ...

edit - and then you'd have to complete only 75% (instead of 85%) of your choices to succeed!

or .... even .... 5 alternates, for 70% completion rate ... or better! 6 alternates, for 66% completion!

65% is traditionally considered a passing grade ;-)

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
This is an interesting idea. If we were mandating that old and new book selections must come from the groups bookshelf I would be more inclined to think more alternates would be helpful.

But, since we only require that old and new school selections follow only our group time constraints and all book selections are made based on what a member is inclined to want to read, challenge or not. Two alternates are OK for now.

message 12: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments ahhhh, it's so hard to commit in advance !

message 13: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'm going to join as well.

Is it ok to combine this with the BINGO challenge, i.e. use the books of my list of 12+2 also for my BINGO challenge?

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do a full BINGO blackout, but I think I can manage 12 books. So, I would like run the BINGO challenge in parallel, because I used it as inspiration, but without committing to reading all 25 books, just the 12 I post here.

message 14: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Dec 28, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
Petrichor wrote: "I'm going to join as well.

Is it ok to combine this with the BINGO challenge, i.e. use the books of my list of 12+2 also for my BINGO challenge?

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do a full BINGO..."

Yes, all of your book choices can work in all challenges. The same book can fill a Bingo square, one of your 12+2, one on your woman authors, as well as one or both of the A-Z challenge

message 15: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Great!
Thanks, Bob!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 159 comments May I join this challenge?

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "May I join this challenge?"

Absolutely, just start your thread and list your book choices.

message 18: by ProfBen10 (last edited Jan 10, 2019 09:02AM) (new)

ProfBen10 | 28 comments Quick question: I'm new to this group (and Goodreads as a whole). Do we need to read books from the group shelf? Or is acceptable to read an author from the shelf for this challenge?

I ask because for new-school classics, I'm considering some books by Toni Morrison and Alice Walker. One problem: Both books were written in the 21st Century!

Sorry this is so late, I'm still new here and figuring out how Goodreads works.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4817 comments Mod
ProfBen10 wrote: "Quick question: I'm new to this group (and Goodreads as a whole). Do we need to read books from the group shelf? Or is acceptable to read an author from the shelf for this challenge?

I ask because..."

No, while many members use the old and new sections to clear unread group books off the group bookshelf, it is not a requirement. The first three old selections should be 19th century or earlier, which helps clear Old School reads. The same is true for the new reads, to help clear off unread 20th century New School books.

The second six are for reading anything you want, no matter when published. Again, this is to help members clear off their personal unread bookshelf. The alternates are just in case one of the first 12 books selected needs to be replaced. The goal is to read 12 books, even though 14 have been selected.

All that said, the challenge is yours pick what you want to read. I would ask that the first six follow the published dates as defined by our old school and new school categories, but they don't have to be group books.

message 20: by ProfBen10 (new)

ProfBen10 | 28 comments Thanks! That helped! Just posted my list.

message 21: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Shaver | 172 comments done
Old/New Challenge 2019
starred books are done(*)

Old
Gulliver’s Travels- Jonathan Swift*
Letters And Discussions On The Formation of Colored Regiments- Alfred M Green*
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58398/...
Dracula- Bram Stoker*
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/345/34...
Henry the Fifth-Rev. AJ Church
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58405/...
The Turn of the Screw-Henry James*
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/209
The Confessions of St. Augustine- St. Augustine and Bishop of Hippo*
Audiobook by Recorded Books Classics Library trans. by Henry Chadwick

New
The Secret Garden- Frances Hodgson Burnett*
Anne of Green Gables- LM Montgomery*
Library of World Poetry- William Cullen Bryant, editor
Dragonflight- Anne McCaffrey*
The Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux*
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz- L Frank Baum *

Alternates
My Enemy The Queen- Victoria Holt*
Royal Sisters- Anne Edwards*

message 22: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2891 comments Mod
Hayley wrote: "done
Old/New Challenge 2019
starred books are done(*)

Old
Gulliver’s Travels- Jonathan Swift*
Letters And Discussions On The Formation of Colored Regiments- Alfred M Green*
http://www.gutenberg.o..."

Congratulations on completing your challenge Hayley!

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra Congratulations, Hayley! That's terrific planning and follow through.