Play Book Tag discussion

A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)
This topic is about A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas
Archive: Other Books > A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas by Maisey Yates -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas by Maisey Yates
4 stars (don't judge me for this high rating)

Where has Maisey Yates been all my life?!

Ugh, my sappy little heart loved this book. I cried. Like legit tears rolling down my cheeks. Over the sappiest, most contrived dialogue ever. While I finished this book while sitting next to my beautiful Christmas tree. I am even drinking Holiday Spice tea.

I almost cannot stand myself.

Grant Dodge lives on his family's tourist ranch—Get Out of Dodge (come on, that is adorbs. He works hard, cares for his family, but is alone. That is until he finds a women, apparently homeless, sleeping in one of the abandoned cabins on the property. His wonderful family offers McKenna Tate a job and a place to live, not realizing that it was not mere chance that brought her to Gold Valley. But while she searches for the family she never knew, she might just find love.

And by "might," I mean she does. She and Grant have steamy sex and fall in love. That is not a spoiler. I mean, look at the cover of this book. It does not end in a holiday tragedy.

But, I wasn't expecting to LIKE the book so much. Their storylines were not as straightforward as one might expect. I mean, they weren't complicated by any stretch of the imagination, but I actually felt like these characters had actual shit they were dealing with. It was a nice little added depth. A shallow depth. Like "no diving" depth, but it was there.

And, even so, I had to roll my eyes because, once again, we have a 30-something virgin. But this time, it was the guy! AND, the first time he and McKenna have sex she declares it the best of her life. Whoa. This completely unbelievable break from reality is apparently where I draw the line.

Despite the virgin lore this book propagates, I will be adding all of Maisey Yates's future holiday books for my TBR. And, I might even pick up some non-holiday ones during my mindless beach read season.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Another morning laugh from you "...the unbelievable break from reality.."👌😂

Hubby just returned from the Post Office-your Christmas Cowboy(and his horse)are on the way!

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6332 comments Sounds like the perfect Christmas read to me! And yes, it is on my tablet awaiting my attention...even before you reviewed it!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Theresa wrote: "Sounds like the perfect Christmas read to me! And yes, it is on my tablet awaiting my attention...even before you reviewed it!"

Theresa, you will have to ask Nicole to send you the two books I sent to her-and while you at it Nicole send the card(yes I did include an appropriate holiday card) with the books.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I am happy to pass them along when I am done Theresa if you PM me your mailing address!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The title made me snort laugh!

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Susie wrote: "The title made me snort laugh!"

Me to Susie-I would love to have this group brainstorm for these types titles-I am sure we would could come up with some real winners!

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6332 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am happy to pass them along when I am done Theresa if you PM me your mailing address!"

Will do!

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments I snarfed too - both at the title and the review. Classic Nicole!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Hahaha! There is now so much pressure to make these entertaining 😂

I am into my next book and I already think I know what my next rant will be on....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments But a loving rant. Annoying aspects that I get superficially worked up about in order to feel better about my book choices! Lol

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5642 comments I may have to pick this up when I get back home from this trip. I have a challenge in another group that requires a "WESTERN" ...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments BC, I have a slew of Christmas cowboy/western books for you 😂

Also, if you want non-Christmas there is a new release western that made some best-of lists this year! On my phone app now but will dig it up and send it to you!

But I would still recommend the cowboy Christmas ones 😉

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6332 comments And what Nicole misses, I probably have, BC!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments BC, the western that caught my eye recently is Wolves of Eden by Kevin McCarthy.

I hope to get to it at some point!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review. Nicole, you are killing me! You have made my Friday morning so much better! I'm happy you loved this book so much.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Rachel wrote: "Lovely review. Nicole, you are killing me! You have made my Friday morning so much better! I'm happy you loved this book so much."

Awww....thank you!

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5642 comments Nicole R wrote: "BC, the western that caught my eye recently is Wolves of Eden by Kevin McCarthy.

I hope to get to it at some point!"

Thanks ... this does sound good!