The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > Ripped From the Headlines - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13363 comments Mod
description

Each month a weird, unusual, or odd news story will be featured. Your task will be to read a book associated with words pulled from the account. You choose how the book connects with the word.

No page limit. Re-reads and audio books are okay.
You can read as many or as few as you want.
You can read one of each or focus on two or three words.

Duration : December 1 - 31, 2018

Pet Peacock Runs Away From Home And Takes Up With Wild Turkeys
WEIRD NEWS 11/24/2018 02:45 pm ET
By Hilary Hanson

A Vermont couple says that their peacock has been on the loose for six weeks, and has apparently started hanging out with a flock of wild turkeys.

The case of the fugitive bird went viral earlier this week, when the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department shared an email on its Facebook page that it had received from one of the peacock’s distraught owners.

“My peacock has run off with the turkeys,” the email read. “Do you have any suggestions on how to catch the little twerp?? I do not believe they can breed……concerned. I know where he is most days. Any information would be appreciated!”

Local news station WCAX 3 tracked down the owners, Rene and Brian Johnson of Springfield, and got the full story. The couple believes that the peacock ― who goes by Pea, Forest or Walter ― took up with the turkeys because he was lonely after his companion, a sibling peacock, died.

words from the article:
Vermont
couple
peacock
loose
six
weeks
hanging out
wild
case
fugitive
email
Facebook
distraught
run off
turkeys
suggestions
twerp
lonely
Pea
Forest
Walter

message 2: by Meg (last edited Dec 18, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 711 comments I'll work on my list as I can this month...

Vermont

✔ couple - Too Many Crooks Spoil the Plot (A Ditie Brown Mystery #1) by Sarah Osborne Too Many Crooks Spoil the Plot ("Ryan and Harper made a handsome couple, both tall and fit.") 12/6

✔ peacock - All Fudged Up (Candy-Coated, #1) by Nancy CoCo All Fudged Up ("Today she wore a peacock-blue velour tracksuit.") 12/4

✔ loose - Cut Loose (Dusty Deals Mystery #2) by Rae Davies Cut Loose 12/8

six
weeks
hanging out

wild - How the Finch Stole Christmas! (Meg Langslow #22) by Donna Andrews How the Finch Stole Christmas! (main characters helped to break up a criminal ring that was smuggling wild animals) 12/10

case - Alaskan Alliance (Zoe Donovan Mystery #12) by Kathi Daley Alaskan Alliance (mc and her friends investigate a case of murder and espionage while on a trip to Alaska) 12/11

fugitive
email

Facebook - Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6) by Heather Webber Trouble Under the Tree (mc looks through a memorial Facebook page for a young accident victim) 12/12

distraught - A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery #3) by Ellen Byron A Cajun Christmas Killing (mc and her grandmother are distraught over bad online ratings for their B&B) 12/17

run off
turkeys
suggestions
twerp
lonely
Pea
Forest
Walter

message 3: by Pam (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Pam | 73 comments I’m joining late but I’ll do my best.

(view spoiler)

Words: 9/21

email - The Siren Nora and her editor communicated by email.
couple - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown Tana and Adien were a couple before he dumped her by text.
Facebook - The Other Woman Pammie used Facebook to invite Emily’s former best friend to her bridal shower.
peacock - The Forbidden Wish the jinni turned herself into a peacock.
wild - Loyalty Some people thought John was wild and others thought he was crazy.
distraught - Knotted Conor became distraught if anyone restrained her hands.
case - Hotshot Doc “What about your cases?” I ask incredulously. loc 298
weeks - Knight Anya tells Knight she is 10 weeks pregnant
Forest - Article 5 Chase and Ember slept in the forest while trying to escape from the BRC.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 711 comments Meg wrote: "I'll work on my list as I can this month...

."

Didn't get a chance to add more but it was fun, as always. Thanks!