Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > Nominations for February 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1132 comments Mod
It's time for February's nominations. Guess what! It is a special theme month. This is No Novel Nominations month. This means that we will accept nominations for non-fiction, essays, poetry, drama or anything else as long as it is NOT a novel. You can nominate up to two works that are at least 50 years old and written by a woman. Please state whether or not you can lead the discussion.

Nominations will end the 15th. Please select works that have not been read by this group. Here is the bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books....

Thank you!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Dec 08, 2018 06:44PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments I nominate:

War in Val d'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944 by Iris Origo, an Englishwoman who married an Italian man; and

The Sorceress of the Strand and Other Stories by L.T. Meade, medical mysteries and tales of dangerous criminal women, written between 1893 and 1901.

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Dec 03, 2018 06:21AM) (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I nominate Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly

Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly

Nellie Bly's journal of being institutionalized for 10 days. An expose of how the "insane" were treated.

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Carol and Jamie, thanks for the nominations. It is always interesting when I see the nominations and learn about books I have never heard of.

Are both of you willing to lead the discussion?

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria ☯Emily wrote: "Carol and Jamie, thanks for the nominations. It is always interesting when I see the nominations and learn about books I have never heard of.

Are both of you willing to lead the discussion?"

Yup!

message 6: by Carol (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments Yes

message 7: by Suki (last edited Dec 04, 2018 07:02PM) (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 60 comments I would like to nominate Complete Stories by Dorothy Parker. I would be willing to lead the discussion.

message 8: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Dec 11, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

My second book has two titles, depending on when and where it was published. Hons and Rebels and Daughters and Rebels by Jessica Mitford.

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1127 comments Mod
I picked up a copy of Mary Wollstonecraft's works. My copy has listed A Vindication of the Rights of Men and A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. Are the two separate works?

The listing of contents for my copy.
https://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/m...

message 11: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Charlene, those are two separate works. We are to read A Vindication of the Rights of Woman only. The Vindication of the Rights of Men was a political pamphlet. You can find more info here: http://mary-shelley.wikia.com/wiki/Ma...

message 12: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Of course if anyone wants to read both that is fine.