Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta for YA, SciFi/Fantasy, and LGBTQ--CLOSED

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Lee O'Brien | 28 comments I do some work as an editor (I have a separate post on the paid board) but I have some openings for free beta reading right now.

I prefer contemporary YA, YA fantasy, and adult SFF (with an emphasis on fantasy), though I've also done some work with romance (contemporary and paranormal). As a rule, I'm also up for most queer fiction, or stories about LGBTQ characters.

Generally when I read, I keep an eye on plot structure and character development above all else--so I'm a good reader for big picture concerns, but unlikely to nitpick grammar and word-choice.

If you're interested, I recommend checking out my beta reading page at https://writingradically.wordpress.co... and clicking around the blog a bit, since it's pretty indicative of what kind of feedback I give and what I tend to focus on.

Feel free to comment, DM, or send me an email at writing.radically.blog@gmail.com with some information on your project, and I'd be happy to talk.

EDIT: Thanks for the interest. I've gotten a lot of responses to this, and at the moment my hands are full, but I'll make a note when availability opens up again.

message 2: by mrharville (new)

mrharville | 16 comments * I have a completed military retro-scifi book that I am in the process of rewriting, I also have short stories that will tie into the novel if/when I complete it . . .again.

message 3: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Jean-Baptiste | 3 comments Hey Leana, I'm looking for a beta reader for the following:
Synopsis-16 year-old Tristan Davids makes an unexpected discovery on his birthday, when he learns that he’s from a prominent family of super-heroes known as Metamorphs. Now he’s been sent to the Academy, despite not having any powers of his own. Viewed as an outcast amongst his peers and newfound rivals, Tristan will need to rely upon the uneasy alliance between his new teammates if he wishes to succeed at the school. As if managing to navigate through the obstacles of his new life wasn’t enough, Tristan soon discovers a plot to overthrow his new home by a mysterious group of supervillains, known as The Legion. Can Tristan rallying his teammates behind him, unlock his abilities, and discover what it means to be truly special before it’s too late?

Do you have a word count limit?

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee O'Brien | 28 comments Yuri, that sounds like something I'd read, and I would definitely be interested in checking it out. I don't have a strict word count limit, though I'm less likely to take on the whole MS if its upwards of 130k.

And mrharville, I generally only beta for finished drafts because I prefer to have the whole story in front of me, but feel free to DM me a synopsis when you complete your rewrite.

message 5: by Yuri (last edited Dec 05, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Yuri Jean-Baptiste | 3 comments Leana,
If you’d like, I can send half the MS and if it’s something you like, I can send the rest! I plan on publishing in the beginning of January.

message 6: by Kristene (new)

Kristene Collins (kristenecollins) | 5 comments Hi Leanna,

My story is about a 16 year boy old who finds out that his father is a faerie king, and simultaneously falls for another faerie who happens to be a boy. He also has to deal with a cousin who wants him dead so he can inherit the throne. It's YA Urban Fantasy with an M/M romance sub-plot, just over 60k words. Let me know if you are interested.

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee O'Brien | 28 comments I was going to say that I'm just about at capacity, but I would absolutely love to see pages from a story about queer Urban Fantasy fairy intrigue.

So, I'm going to say yes, and then close to any other requests until I've managed the ones that I have.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula | 16 comments Hi, I'd messaged you, but am not sure you'd seen it. :D

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee O'Brien | 28 comments Thanks for the heads up! There are a few messages that I'm still answering, so I'll make sure that yours didn't get lost in my inbox (running off to work now, but I'll try to send a response later in the day.)

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt Martinez (mattmrtnz) | 11 comments Hey Leanna, how you doing?

I have this urban-fantasy story thats happens in a small town surrounded by mystery that features a young girl who discovers the secrets of an ancient folk living inside the woods. The story has tons of elemental magic, queer characters and a moody tone. Let me know if this interests you so I can give you a proper summary of what this story is about.

Thank you!

message 11: by Gerard (new)

Gerard O'Neill | 74 comments Hi Leanna,

I have sent you an email. Thank you!!

message 12: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 126 comments Hi Leanna (and everyone else).

I’m currently looking for beta readers for my completed manuscript and I came across your post. My story is a sci-fi thriller with a noir edge, currently sitting at around 100,000 words. Here is a (very) rough blurb:

In the not-to-distant future, privacy is a thing of the past. Our lives are monitored and recorded by implants and watched by an all-seeing eye—a government agency called NEXUS.
While some fear the Network, others have found a way to use it to their advantage; one of these people is Nasir Khan. Khan is a private investigator and hacker, and he’ll break into the Network and the feeds direct from people’s implants, for a price.
He’s used to trouble. Everyday he deals with clients looking for missing wives, stolen money, a cheating husband. But when a client calling themselves only “Anonymous” contacts him, things get interesting.
What starts off as just another job soon becomes a murder coverup involving a former government bigwig, mysterious hit men, and a former politician who could be a damsel in distress and could be a femme fatale. And the worst part is, they all have some unknown link to NEXUS.
The question isn’t can Khan use his wits to solve the case, but does he have what it takes to survive.

If that sounds interesting to you, please get in touch with a direct message.

For anyone else reading this, I'm also available to be a critique partner or beta swapper. So if anyone else sees this and is interested then feel free to get in touch. I’m interested in most genres. My favourites are sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. The only genres I don’t feel I can give accurate feedback on are romance stories, erotica, and historical fiction, as I’m not a big reader of any of these. Although fiction with a historical backdrop where historical accuracy isn’t paramount, I can provide feedback on, no problem.

Thanks everyone. I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Kirk.

message 13: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (alexis_queen) | 31 comments Hi,

I'm looking for beta readers for a poetry chapbook that has ~27 pages with 22 (relatively short) poems. Some of the themes I've written about are immortality, space, youth, love, and nostalgia.

I'm looking for some feedback on the individual poems, but mainly want to focus on whether all of the poems go well together in the way I've ordered them and split them into sections.

If this interests you, please contact me at acciolunas@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Alexis