Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
This topic is about Dragonflight
Book Of the Month Discussion > Dragonflight -- December 2018 -- spoilers allow

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2144 comments Mod
Free discussion of any element.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 132 comments These were books everyone who read science fiction and/or fantasy read "back in the day". The plot wasn't really practical but it made such a good story.

message 3: by D (new)

D | 3 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "These were books everyone who read science fiction and/or fantasy read "back in the day". The plot wasn't really practical but it made such a good story."

I really don't take Fantasy or SF, which the Dragon Flight series falls into both categories, as being impractical. Essentially you presume that they've conquered genetic manipulation beyond basics (given when these were written, really foreshadowing future of an embryonic speculation science), time travel, heck long distance generational (without cold sleep) space travel, smart computers (again, given when written, foreshadowing), orbital mechanics manipulation of foreign bodies, etc., weaved into interpersonal relationships & politics. For some of us suspension of belief is easier than others.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 132 comments I settled on a science-fantasy tag for them as they do overlap a bit (as we find out later in the series). The dragons do give a fantasy flavor and the idea of flying around shooting "thread" out of the air with dragon fire is very fantasy like. The sci/fi aspects come later as the people begin to uncover their past history.

As noted I read them long ago and they hold up well.

message 5: by D (new)

D | 3 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I settled on a science-fantasy tag for them as they do overlap a bit (as we find out later in the series). The dragons do give a fantasy flavor and the idea of flying around shooting "thread" out o..."

Yes. I agree. Been awhile since I first read or even reread any of them. But have reread them enough I remember the story lines.