Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
This topic is about Dragonflight
Book Of the Month Discussion > Dragonflight -- December 2018 -- no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2206 comments Mod
For checking in to tell us you're reading, and spoiler-free discussion

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 132 comments I read this (these) many (many) years ago and engaged in many (many) (I love parenthetical statements) discussions on whether they (it ha,ha) is fantasy or science fiction.

If you follow the series you'll get more of what I mean there.

These are good books.

message 3: by Mary (new)

The first book was published in Analog. The engraving on metal that they read -- and took "doodling" for "dying" -- contains enough terms to show it's SF.

I'm kind of amazed that people got confused.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 132 comments And the debate begins!!!

message 5: by D (new)

D | 3 comments Don't remember where I read an excerpt of the first 2 or 3 chapters of the first book, of the first trilogy. Then I spent years actually finding the actual book. Found the book bundled in Dragon Flight.

I can see the Fantasy or SF debate. The Dragon Flight series only hint at the SF, in that the characters "history" is hidden & considered myth. Without spoilers, these books read as Fantasy, until the very end of the last book of Dragon Flight bundle. Then it veers/verges(?) clearly into SF. Second book gives a hint of SF, but the 3rd book definitely takes the series there. Kind of like how Ms. McCaffrey does this, really opened up the universe to many, many, paths.

Over time, I've read, most of Ms. McCaffrey's original Dragonflight books. Have not kept pace with her 's (Todd) newer books based on that universe.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 132 comments It might be best to move this discussion over to the spoiler thread lest we ruin something for new readers.

Just a thought.

Clyde (wishamc) | 307 comments Started. It has been literally decades since I last read it. Not like a new read, but the details have certainly gone fuzzy.
And, it is obviously SF, but with dragons!

Sheryl Tribble | 76 comments It starts out as fantasy, but I'd say it's s-f by the end. I quite enjoyed it when I read it (not a first edition, but many moons ago), however the series didn't hold up for me long term (although I did read the entire original trilogy and some of the others, back in the day).

I mostly remember my shock the first time I re-read it that Lessa had dark hair. I still paid attention to covers back then, and had picked it up in the first place because of the blonde on the golden dragon (was probably this cover: https://oracle.newpaltz.edu/the-last-...). Who actually does look like a secondary character, both in appearance and attitude (and she'd probably be fine with the outfit, too), but it definitely is not Lessa...

I sure thought I'd re-read this within the past decade or so, but, no. Within the last two decades, maybe. The library used to have the Dragonriders triology, but now it's only available as an e-book, and I'm already ignoring one of those while reading paper ones. Maybe I'll hit the only local second hand book store that cares much s-f, see if he's got it. Replaced some of my other McCaffrey there (I'm hoping To Ride Pegasas and The Ship Who Sang hold up better than the Dragon books did).

message 9: by Mary (new)

Great rule: Covers (Almost) Always Lie.

Clyde (wishamc) | 307 comments Mary wrote: "Great rule: Covers (Almost) Always Lie."

Chortle. So true.

Sheryl Tribble | 76 comments Good rule on covers that I generally follow. And yet, back in the day, there were more than a few books I picked up because of the cover that I ended up really enjoying. I was admittedly less critical back then, too, and had more time for casual reading.

Nowadays I have such a long list of books that I want to read for other reasons, I barely look at the covers. But there was a time when I was highly attuned to the visual. Still am, comes to some things. I have learned, however, to appreciate covers and cover artists independently of the books they adorn. Because heaven knows, the quality of the art and the quality of writing rarely match.

Although I do like the pairing of Patricia McKillip and Kinuko Craft -- the writing and the art are sometimes doing different things, but they're usually in harmony (I've heard Craft actually reads the novels she illustrated...).