Booked2022: A Litsy Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

2019 January - March Prompts > 1. Female Detective

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 330 comments Mod
Questions? Suggestions? Resources? Please share.

message 3: by Maja (last edited Dec 04, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

nomadreader (Carrie D-L) (nomadreader) | 2 comments I'm planning to read either the second DI Helen Grace pick, Pop Goes the Weasel, or the first Det. Eloise Norton, Land of Shadows.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbara_b) | 13 comments I am planning to read an instalment in Karin Slaughter's Grand County series, as the MC in there, Sara Linton, is kind of a detective, alongside her boyfriend, the local chief of police.

message 8: by Daena (new)

Daena | 1 comments I am going to start the Dublin Murder Squad series: Into the Woods or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly72401) I've got some longer books in my list, so this one was a bit shorter and also fit in with a PopSugar challenge:
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

message 10: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Power (nastassja02) | 6 comments I’m either going to read book 10 of the women’s mixer club or Pop Goes the weasel. Or I might find something else.

message 11: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Any suggestions on a stand alone - trilogy?

I’ve been looking online and most female detective books are long series. I’m starting Outlander and Game of Thrones this year so I can’t afford to get invested in a long series! 🤣

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 29 comments Kelli wrote: "Any suggestions on a stand alone - trilogy?

I’ve been looking online and most female detective books are long series. I’m starting Outlander and Game of Thrones this year so I can’t afford to get..."

I really enjoyed The Dime by Kathleen Kent. While this COULD turn into a series, so far as I can see this is the only book by the author about this particular character so far!!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 29 comments Daena wrote: "I am going to start the Dublin Murder Squad series: Into the Woods or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie."

FLAVIA FLAVIA FLAVIA FLAVIA!!!!!!

message 14: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Jessica wrote: "Kelli wrote: "Any suggestions on a stand alone - trilogy?

I’ve been looking online and most female detective books are long series. I’m starting Outlander and Game of Thrones this year so I can’t..."

Thank you!!! I will check it out! 😊

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Does Stalking Jack the Ripper work for this?

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Laidman | 6 comments Daena wrote: "I am going to start the Dublin Murder Squad series: Into the Woods or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie."
I am thinking Dublin Murder Squad too. I have a couple on my shelf.

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments Daena wrote: "I am going to start the Dublin Murder Squad series: Into the Woods or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie."

I think I'm going to finally read Into the Woods for this one. It has been on my list forever!

message 18: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (ukyprincesskelli) Would this one count?

It’s about female agents that go missing and a lead female character that sets out to find them. Which could be detective-ish? 🤔

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 19: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) I'm thinking about reading Veronica Mars book 1 for this prompt! I loved the tv series, have never read the books...

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1) by Rob Thomas

message 20: by Margie (Bookzombie) (last edited Jan 01, 2019 03:41PM) (new)

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) | 52 comments I have a number of female detective series ongoing, but I think I'm going to read Land of Shadows as it is on my physical shelf.

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 330 comments Mod
Kelli wrote: "Would this one count?

It’s about female agents that go missing and a lead female character that sets out to find them. Which could be detective-ish? 🤔

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Yes, I think that one works. We are okay with women thrown into "detecting" as well as people with a more formal detective position.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (irishcontessa) I'm super torn between a few books that have been on my TBR for a while that would fit this prompt. The Kopp Sisters, Gaslight Mysteries, or the Lady Sherlock series - all look really good and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with for this challenge!

message 23: by Kris (new)

Kris (kriswood) | 1 comments Kelli wrote: "Would this one count?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Yes! If you get the audio, Kristen Bell narrates. It definitely adds to the enjoyment.

message 24: by Cindy H. (new)

Cindy H. | 35 comments Mod
Kelli wrote: "Any suggestions on a stand alone - trilogy?

I’ve been looking online and most female detective books are long series. I’m starting Outlander and Game of Thrones this year so I can’t afford to get..."

Somebody on Litsy sugested Girl Waits with Gun

message 25: by willaful (new)

willaful | 7 comments A Nice Class of Corpse is fun. It is the start of a series, but honestly, all the books are just like the first one, so there's no need to read on. :-)

message 26: by willaful (new)

willaful | 7 comments I just read A Study in Charlotte, a YA book about the descendents of Holmes and Watson in boarding school. (Holmes is Charlotte Holmes.) Very interesting characterizations.