2022 Reading Challenge discussion

New here? Drop a line... > Books You Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Dec 02, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Books You Love!

So you have joined our group, you have received your Welcome Email from me or another member of the Welcome Committee, you ordered/requested our group read, set your goal, and set up your member's corner. Wow, that's a lot, but if you are as obsessed about reading as so many of us in the group are, you will be looking for more! So many of us are on here for the great book recommendations, and this group makes the best because we are an all welcoming, all motivated, and all genre kind of group.

This thread is your opportunity to share your favorite books.

Our group has 3 Listopia’s for you to vote on:
Recommended by Reading Challengers
Top Ten for Reading Challengers
Timeless Classics for Reading Challengers

And we would love it if you would fill out this survey, and share your favorite books with us!
1. What was your favorite book as a child?
2. What is your favorite book now?
3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf?
4. What book have your read more often than any other?
5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime?
6. What book are you looking most forward to reading?

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments 1 My favourite book as a child - Gemma (Armada Lions S.) by Noel Streatfeild Gemma. I have the 4 Gemma books in a box set and I read them over and over. I also loved Charlie And The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and The Little House Collection.

2 My favourite book now - Really? I can't even choose my favourite of the year. I love the Harry Potter series. This year I loved Artemis and listened to a fantastic audiobook Glass. Last year my favourite book was Be Frank With Me. In 2016 I couldn't choose between Yellow Star, Nagasaki, The Martian and Damocles. I am a hopeless case!

3 I will never remove Easy Connections from my bookshelf as it holds so many memories of high school and was the most checked out book from the local library.

4 I have read all of the Harry Potter series and listened to the audiobooks more times than I can count.

5 Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore kept me reading into the night. Most recently Our House was a book I couldn't put down.

6 I am looking forward most to The Starless Sea

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Babysitters Club Books are the books that really got me into reading, but Jacob Have I Loved was my favorite book.

To Kill a Mockingbird has been my favorite book for a long time now.

I have a rather large collection of Islamic Education Books written by scholars. As a Muslim in the West, it's hard to get accurate information on the internet, so these books are my go-to when it comes to understanding my religion.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, lol! With a sister 13 years younger than me, and four kids, I think I have this book memorized!

Thrillers! The last one was Gone Girl. I was exhausted all week.

Rebecca; I am taking a literature class this upcoming year, and that is the novel. I am very excited!

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Sep 28, 2020 08:25AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3204 comments 1. My favourite book as a child was Matilda by Roald Dahl (the film is great too). I still enjoy this story now.
2. My current favourite book is Uprooted by Naomi Novik but this changes quite often as I find even more good books.
3. I would never remove Harry Potter or His Dark Materials from my bookshelf. I think these are the books that got me into reading and I have such fond memories about them.
4. The book I have read more often than any other is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling because I would always reread it before the next book was published.
5. A book that kept me up past my bedtime is Heartless by Marissa Meyer because I couldn't stop reading it, it was so good.
6. I am looking forward to Dark Age by Pierce Brown, which is the next book in the awesome Red Rising series, and also The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm: Eragon by Christopher Paolini which is a new book in a series I thought had finished years ago.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 483 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Books You Love!

So you have joined our group, you have received your Welcome Email from me or another member of the Welcome Committee, you ordered/requested our group read, set your goal, and set ..."

My favorite book as a child was The Outsiders. Although it's probably classed as YA nowadays, I first read it in the 4th grade.

My favorite book now? Oh my. Here are a few: Pride and Prejudice, Mrs. Dalloway, Swann's Way, A Tale for the Time Being, A Passage to India, The Secret Agent, Invisible Man.

Never to be removed from my shelves: All of Proust's In Search of Lost Time and Austen's novels.

As an adult, I've probably read Pride and Prejudice more than any other book.

Most recently, War and Peace, not because it was so compelling but more that I just wanted to be done. The end of that book is a real slog.

Hmm. I can't think of any one book I'm especially looking forward to at the moment.

message 6: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Wuggie Norple Story or The Big Orange Splot if we're talking younger. As an older child it was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone or The Bad Beginning
There are so many but probably A Song of Ice and Fire
The above. I make notes every time I re-read them. Also, anything of my dad's.
Probably Harry Potter
This year it was Big Little Lies
I dunno... Artemis maybe

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
As a young child I LOVED We're Going on a Bear Hunt. I think my parents still have it memorized. When I started reading more I remember really like Ella Enchanted or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone of course. My mom and I also read Dealing with Dragons together which is a wonderful memory now.

2. What is your favorite book now? Hmmm I love The Night Circus or The Way of Kings was also very good this year. I feel like my reading tastes are shifting so books I really loved before are not hitting me as much now.

3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? I have some complete works of Shakespeare and Complete Sherlock Holmes that were my grandparents. I think I'll keep those forever.

4. What book have your read more often than any other? Most likely Harry Potter. But I will say I read Agnes and the Hitman whenever I hit a slump so that one is probably up there too.

5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime? The Way of Kings is the most recent one. Dang Sanderson Avalanche.

6. What book are you looking most forward to reading? Really looking forward to more Sanderson this year. I've heard tons of good about A Gentleman in Moscow. And looking forward to reading some Sherlock Holmes this coming year.

message 8: by Christi (new)

Christi | 3 comments 1. As a child, I loved anything by Beverly Cleary. Ramona and Beezus was probably my favorite.
2. My favorite book now is Ireland by Frank Delaney. I was really drawn in by the storytelling tradition of Ireland.
3. I will never remove my Chronicles of Narnia set from my bookshelf.
4. I've read Harry Potter more than any other.
5. Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles all kept me up long after I should've been asleep.
6. I'm really looking forward to reading some other works by Frank Delaney this year. First up is Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show.

message 9: by Ras Tazie (new)

Ras Tazie | 129 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Velveteen Rabbit and the Ramona series.
Things fall apart.
Anna Karenina
November if the heart
A man called Ove.
Les Miserable.

message 10: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 996 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
We moved a lot when I was a child and I also struggled when reading. In the 4th grade, I got a new teacher who would read to us after every lunch. I loved the books and would go to the library and check them out and started to read on my own....my favorite A Wrinkle in Time. I have soft spot for the others she read: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing Harriet the Spy From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. We moved 3/4th through the 4th grade, but that teacher was the person who got me hooked on books.

This is a hard question. Sometimes it takes a few months for me to realize how much I enjoyed a book and sometimes you read a book just at the right time in your life...some favorites The Count of Monte Cristo The Red Tent A Prayer for Owen Meany Lonesome Dove Watership Down The Lord of the Rings How Green Was My Valley

All of the books I listed above.

A Wrinkle in Time From the ages 9 to 12, I would check this book out from the library and bring it back and check out different books. The next time we go back I check it back out again and repeat the process for over 3 years. It was always available not matter where we lived. Shortly after I turned 12 I went to a bookstore with my dad and he let me pick out a book for my own and of course this was the book.

I honestly can’t remember but usually is a mystery book and I want to know who did it.

There are a lot of books I want to read. I have so many serious started, mostly looking forward to finishing some.

message 11: by Patch (new)

Patch 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Lightning Thief is the first book I remember being obsessed with when I was younger.

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. I only read it a few weeks ago, but I don't remember a book ever affecting me emotionally as much as this one. I couldn't put it down or focus on much else, I was so engrossed in the characters and their story.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I only own around 10 books (most of them either non-fiction or gifts) and this is the one that has stayed with me for years now and that I couldn't imagine letting go of.

A Study in Steampunk: Choice of Gaslight is a choose your own adventure type of story that I've read countless times trying to find every possible outcome and rereading the parts I loved the most. It shaped my view on interactive fiction and fiction in general.

When Divergent was first released it kept me up until 8am and it's the only full-length novel that I remember reading in one sitting.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Girl Made of Stars, If We Were Villains, Truly Devious, The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing and many more.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (siburgess) | 25 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
A fairly broad period, but at age 8 I read H.G. Wells' 'War of the Worlds', which changed my life in absolutely every way, so... good candidate.

'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell' by Susanna Clarke. There's just nothing like it.

'Why I Write' by George Orwell. Never be without a beloved book just big enough for a coat pocket.

4. What book have you read more often than any other?
'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde, roughly twenty times, starting my love for Wilde (particularly his fairy tales).

'Song of Achilles' by Madeline Miller. Simply couldn't stop.

Shirley Jackson's 'The Haunting of Hill House'. Finally.

message 13: by Fran (new)

Fran (freckles8338) | 1 comments 1. My favorite book as a child: wow, so many to list! The little house series, Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys, Pippi Longstocking, paddington bear, corduroy... the list goes on! lol
2. My favorite book now: Kindred by Octavia Butler!
3. I’d never remove my Jodi Picoult collection from my bookshelf.
4. The book I’ve read more than any other would have to be: a tree grow in Brooklyn
5. Most books keep me up past my bedtime! Lol
6. The book I look forward to reading: all of them! Hard to choose.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1017 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I'm not sure I had one favorite. Once I discovered the Hardy Boys mysteries I read them all, followed by the Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown, Tom Swift, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, etc. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and A Wrinkle in Time were my introduction to SF/Fantasy books. In Jr High I enjoyed reading the Sword and Sorcery adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and Conan. High School brought more contemporary adventures like Jaws, The Odessa File and The Poseidon Adventure.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

There's so many I would never part with, I won't bore you with the full list. If I had to name one I'd say The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Either The Hobbit or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When I was a child I would take a flashlight and book and hide them under my covers so I could read after bedtime. As an adult I remember Jurassic Park and Rising Sun being so captivating I didn't want to put them down until 3 or 4 in the morning. And The Amityville Horror kept me up even after I put it down hahaha!

The Terror by Dan Simmons

message 15: by Kathy (last edited Jan 06, 2019 06:38PM) (new)

Kathy 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I really enjoyed Judy Blume and Choose Your Own Adventure books--I can't remember many books when I was younger because I taught preschool and work with 4 yo now and I've read a lot of picture books. My fave picture books now are The Hungry Caterpillar, Dr. Seuss and Go Fish Go because that was the first book both of my boys learned to read. Also board books by Sandra Boynton and the pigeon books by Mo Willems.

Do I have to pick one?? I love the Harry Potter series, Obsessed by Nora Roberts, Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, The Messenger and The Book Thief, The Maze Runner and the Hunger Games series and Dean Koontz--oh and the Circle series by Ted Dekker! I could go on and on and on.....

Circle series by Ted Dekker, Watchers by Dean Koontz
Oh my, let me see probably Harry Potter, although if you count all books, it would be The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton

lots of books did that :)

not sure-- right now I'm on book 2 of the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz so I guess the rest of the series

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary | 13 comments Samuel wrote: "3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf?
'Why I Write' by George Orwell. Never be without a beloved book just big enough for a coat pocket."

YES! I haven't read this book, but I agree with the sentiment. I need something to carry in my purse...

message 17: by Keri (new)

Keri Sparks | 293 comments Mary wrote: "Samuel wrote: "3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf?
'Why I Write' by George Orwell. Never be without a beloved book just big enough for a coat pocket."

YES! I haven't read this..."

That idea really hits home. I feel I should do that, but I believe all of my beloved books are too big for pockets or purses. T_T

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 13 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I loved reading from the start! I especially remember the Nancy Drew mysteries and the Boxcar Children series. But as I got into my tweens and teens, I even remember reading The Catcher in the Rye for my brother's book report!

Ah, too many to name, in so many different genres. One of my favorites is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I often reread it and love Austen's wit. I also loved The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. But for romance books, I loved Virgin River by Robyn Carr, the first in the series. I read the whole series, but that first one is still the best!

3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? Probably a collection of poems by Emily Dickinson or Sylvia Plath.

Friend-Zoned by Belle Aurora, a romantic comedy.

Most books because I don't get to read until later in the evenings.

I started All You Can Ever Know by Nicole Chung but had to return it to the library before I could finish. I can't wait to get it again!

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Kathy wrote: "1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I really enjoyed Judy Blume and Choose Your Own Adventure books--I can't remember many books when I was younger because I taught preschool and work with ..."

OH! I forgot, in high school I loved "A Patch of Blue". Don't remember who wrote it thought, but they did make a movie/tv movie out of it starring Sidney Poitier.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 642 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child? Nancy Drew, without a doubt!!
2. What is your favorite book now? Gone With the Wind
3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? Gone With The Wind, Harry Potter series, the Narnia series......hard question! There are many!
4. What book have your read more often than any other? Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird- I have read them each 4-5 times!
5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime? As a kid, Nancy Drew! Most lately I had a hard time putting down "Becoming Mrs. Lewis". Not sure why- I guess I just loved the story
6. What book are you looking most forward to reading? Crime and Punishment

message 21: by Akuma (last edited Jan 13, 2019 03:18PM) (new)

Akuma | 28 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Adventurous Four (Armada) by Enid Blyton The Valley of Adventure (Adventure Series, #3) by Enid Blyton The Sea of Adventure by Enid Blyton
A lot of Enid Blyton, but these are the ones i remember most

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01 by Isuna Hasekura Konosuba God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World!, Vol. 1 by Natsume Akatsuki Be With You 今会いにゆきます by Takuji Ichikawa Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, Vol. 1 (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, #1) by Fujino Ōmori The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi
I mainly read JP light novels, so these are the main series (and 1 stand alone) which i loved. But then there's Forbidden, The Martian, Ready Player One, The Fault in Our Stars etc which blew me away. Hard to pick only one i'm afraid

Be With You 今会いにゆきます by Takuji Ichikawa
It's by no means the best book i've read, yet it holds a special place for me. I always, when re-reading think "why'd i love this so much?" but by the end, it's obvious.

Don't re-read often, so same as above

The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma The Fault in Our Stars by John Green I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (Light Novel) by Yoru Sumino
Each one has caused me to forgo normal sleep patterns, for one reason or another

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James Circe by Madeline Miller
And of course the new Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!, Vol. 8 (light novel): Axis Church vs. Eris Church (Konosuba as that always makes me laugh

message 22: by ✿ lemon ✿ (new)

✿ lemon ✿ (lemonthelemon) 1. What was your favorite book as a child?

Luv Ya Bunches

The Bear and the Nightingale The Girl in the Tower The Little Red GuardThe Golem and the Jinni

My Family for the War ironically, i didnt finish it yet

Holes my brother gave me a copy when i was in middle school, its an easy book to go back to from time to time.

The Bear and the Nightingale The Hired GirlThe Shadow of the Wind

The Winter of the Witch Beneath a Scarlet Sky Both are still checked out in my local library!

message 23: by Chanel (new)

Chanel Joyce | 19 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?

I think I would have to say my favorite book was The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau.

A definite tie between Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Allire Saenz and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton.

I will never remove Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah. One of my favorite memoirs I've read.

I would have to say Paper Towns by John Green.

I mean Ari and Dante again of course, but also The Inexplicable Logic of My Life also by Benjamin Allire Saenz.

I am most looking forward to reading Sadie by Courtney Summers, Becoming by Michelle Obama and To All the Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han.

message 24: by Nora (last edited Jan 18, 2019 10:35AM) (new)

Nora | 6 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
A tough one, because there are probably so many I've simply forgotten, despite how much I enjoyed them, but the entire Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (as well as the Prequels) really got me hooked on book series, on returning characters, on watching someone grow over the course of many, many years, and I grew with Alice as I picked up every new book.

Oof, anything by Rainbow Rowell or Frederik Backman, and I really do mean anything. Rowell's Fangirl especially is so relatable on so many levels, told so well; and Backman's My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry has so much wonder, such expertly woven intrigue and characters and inter-character relationship, absolutely STUNNING.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger This one right here, I don't care if I only had to read it for school, such a timeless classic, it was so emotional for me especially as a teen, and perfect for in-depth analysis.

I've re-read the Harry Potter series many times, as well as the Heroes of Olympus series. I often flip through the Merchant of Venice as well, specifically to get to Shylock's soliloquy ("if you prick us with a pin, do we not bleed?").

Carry On (Simon Snow, #1) by Rainbow Rowell Body Types The Enneagram of Essence Types by Joel Friedlander The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson Sadie by Courtney Summers Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann Running With Lions by Julian Winters Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom by S.J. Goslee Death Prefers Blondes by Caleb Roehrig

message 25: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (aunt_nonna) | 107 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child? I loved Judy Blume as a child. I read them all and read them multiple times. I also loved Beverly Cleary. To pick one favorite would be too difficult.
2. What is your favorite book now? Again, too difficult to choose just one.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett Little Women by Louisa May Alcott The Wedding (The Notebook, #2) by Nicholas Sparks The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain and several more
3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? I am a book hoarder. I wouldn't remove any of them.
4. What book have your read more often than any other? Love You Forever by Robert Munsch . I read this more times than I can count to my boys.
5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime? Every book that I have ever read. Some because I couldn't wait to see how it ended and some were just because I wanted it over.
Whiskey in a Teacup What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love & Baking Biscuits by Reese Witherspoon In Pieces by Sally Field All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead to name a few

message 26: by Amy (Other Amy) (last edited Jan 25, 2019 08:46AM) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 407 comments Oh, I love discussion questions like this!
I had a bookshelf my dad made in my room and I loved everything on it. I received The Lord of the Rings when I was 12, I think, and that absolutely upended me, and gets the favorite spot.

I couldn't even begin to say! I what I love, I love completely! And I love a lot.

There are a few (with the stipulation that my shelf is usually my Kindle nowadays):
The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny The Sea Came in at Midnight by Steve Erickson Wild Children by Richard Roberts Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot The Arrival by Shaun Tan Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? by Dr. Seuss

I don't reread books very often, but I used to reread The Lord of the Rings every couple of years. But the all time winner has to be Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?, which I still get out and read out loud from time to time.

I have such a bad habit of 'just one more page'. Even the book I'm reading now, which I don't really love. But the most memorable late night session in recent times was when The Sea Came in at Midnight kept me up to the wee hours of the morning finishing it and then I just sat on the couch in a daze afterward, amazed by the book.

Ha! I never know the answer. I change my mind a thousand times a minute. Then I pick one, finish it, and wonder why the heck I read that.

message 27: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 74 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
When I was a kid I always answered The Lord of the Rings- I read it as 10 years old or somewhere there. But I think I like Prince Caspian and The Horse and His Boy even more.

Oh... so many... Terry Pratchett's The Fifth Elephant is one of them.

I would be devastated if any of my books was stolen, but Lord of the Rings I got from my sister as Christmas present when I was 14 would hurt a lot. My Terry Pratchetts, though those are so new they can be replaced rather easily.
Into the Painted Bear Lair by Pamela Stearns would be hard to replace.

Anne of Green Gables . the whole series
Little Women - again, the whole series
Eight Cousins, Daddy Longlegs, What Katy Did... girls books like that.

The Golden Compass

Right now N/A, but I did look forward Life of Pi a lot, and when I finally got it, I was so very disappointed I ended up hating the book... so I'm a bit wary of expectations.
(Other books I looked forward to were The Da Vinci Code, Outlander and The Amber Spyglass, and I hate all of them.

message 28: by Harshmi (new)

Harshmi | 96 comments Hi,
The Famous Five Series by Enid Blyton
Hmm, that's difficult. I wanna say Angels & Demons or Becoming
Harry Potter
Harry Potter
Most of them
Game of Thrones Series

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 636 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I was totally in love with Becky at age 9.

I'm gonna have to choose a whole series: Discworld.

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes

Probably The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, strictly because I felt that I had to re-read the earlier books to refresh my experience when each new book in the series came out.

As a young teen, it was Stephen King's It. Much more recently, Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy, particularly Shadow Gate and Traitors' Gate (books 2 and 3) stand out as ones that I was staying up for hours with and not even getting sleepy.

Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories in The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (and the next volumes in this collection).

message 30: by Anna (last edited Feb 25, 2019 04:26PM) (new)

Anna (holdthepage) (holdthepage) | 13 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I had so many favorites, from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(the whole series, really), The Adventures of Captain Underpants, Ella Enchanted, Just Ella, The BFG (and other Dahl books, like The Twits, Matilda, The Witches), Dragonflight, The Horse and His Boy (and the other Chronicles of Narnia books, but this and The Magician's Nephew were my absolute favorites), Daughter of Venice (I adored Donna Jo Napoli - Sirena was another favorite of mine), Holes, Maniac Magee,The Trumpet of the Swan (and E.B. White's Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web), and Where the Sidewalk Ends. I forgot how many books I loved as a child! :)

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) by Dav Pilkey Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1) by Gail Carson Levine Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix The BFG by Roald Dahl The Twits by Roald Dahl Matilda by Roald Dahl The Witches by Roald Dahl Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey The Horse and His Boy (The Chronicles of Narnia, #3) by C.S. Lewis The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia, #6) by C.S. Lewis Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli Holes (Holes, #1) by Louis Sachar Maniac Magee (Newbery Medal Book) by Jerry Spinelli The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White Stuart Little by E.B. White Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Again, tough to narrow down, so I'll give a list instead: The Name of the Wind, The Final Empire, The Golden Ass, Neverwhere, The Diviners, Frankenstein, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, The Odyssey, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, The Heretic Queen, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and several more.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Golden Ass by Apuleius Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami The Odyssey by Homer Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Probably special editions of my favorite books. Especially the first copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland I received from my cousin when I was very young. Also the 10th anniversary edition of The Name of the Wind is also one of my most treasured books.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss

I've read the Harry Potter series, The Golden Ass, Neverwhere, American Gods, The Name of the Wind, and the Mistborn series many times over.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Golden Ass by Apuleius Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman American Gods (American Gods #1) by Neil Gaiman The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Skyward, The Nightingale, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, The Girl on the Train, Six of Crows, and most of the other favorites listed above.

Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

I received an ARC of Peace and Turmoil that I'm really excited to start soon. I'm also looking forward to reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series, Kings of the Wyld, Red Sister, The Starless Sea, The Eye of the World, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Senlin Ascends, Rebecca, and The Kingdom of Copper.

Peace and Turmoil (The Dark Shores, #1) by Elliot Brooks The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1) by Nicholas Eames Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1) by Josiah Bancroft Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2) by S.A. Chakraborty

I enjoy books from all genres, but my absolute favorite books are mostly fantasy.

message 31: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
Jane and the Dragon is the book I have the clearest memories of. It's out of print now, but my parents are sending me my copy, so I can read it to my son.

Oh, this is so hard. It's between Station Eleven, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, and The Night Circus.

My husband got me a limited edition Stardust, and we incorporated it into our wedding ceremony. We're keeping that one forever.

Pride and Prejudice is so comforting to come back to.

I stayed up until 3am to finish Blackout then told myself I'd just read the first few pages of All Clear. I ended up finishing it and did not sleep that night.

I'm pretty jazzed for Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee.

message 32: by Julia (last edited Jan 26, 2022 06:08AM) (new)

Julia (nojiri23) | 106 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
Hmmm. Can't really choose one , so...
The Railway Children, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Incredible Journey, and any/all of Madeleine L'Engle's books, not to mention those of L.M. Montgomery, particularly the Emily books

Another tough question. Recently, I really loved reading these:
Not My Father's Son, Meet Me at the Museum, and Expect More: Demanding Better Libraries For Today's Complex World

any books by Madeleine L'Engle Madeleine L'Engle, The Incredible Journey, and The Railway Children

There are several:
The Arm of the Starfish, The Chronicles of Narnia (all 7 books - I try a different order almost each time: order written, chronological, what-have-you), Letters to a Young Poet, Love Letters, and Venetia ... oh, and Suzanne Brockmann's books are a guilty pleasure!

Oh, so many!!! Most recently Cinder and other books from that series.

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us about Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence, The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood, and Don Quixote

message 33: by Malathy (last edited Sep 23, 2020 08:08AM) (new)

Malathy | 2 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
As a child i don't remember reading books. I have been told numerous short stories in my childhood but my habit of reading only started in 7th grade.
2. What is your favorite book now? Now, i'm reading "The gene" by Sidhartha Mukherjee. Fascinating read on genetics history.
3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? Harry potter because that's where my journey into the world of books started.
4. What book have your read more often than any other? HP books i have repeated everytime a new book was going to be released. Also, Vengayin maindan- Historic tamil novel
5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime? So many to count- Usually all good books that i have come across makes me engrossed enough to skip sleep - one such could be Ayn Rand's - atlas shrugged.
Bukowski's collection of books. I have been meaning to read his works for a while now. Hopefully, i will read soon.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 26, 2019 02:46PM) (new)

I started reading super young and I remember starting with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and Pollyanna

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 10/10 in the YA section and The Bluest Eye in Adult.

My first copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (I have one copy all ripped up which is the first copy and another copy that's not ripped up)

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and Pollyanna

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. I was yelled at for staying up too late finishing it.

This year I'm looking forward to getting to read Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell...and like 7mil other books I won't get to.

aub.downtherabbithole (aubdowntherabbithole) My favorite book of all time is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. So of course this book will be my answer to every question. So I will choose other books besides this one to give some depth to my answers.

1. What was your favorite book as a child? Oh Say Can You Say?

Alice and Red Queen by Christina Henry
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankensteinby Kierstin White

3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? Talking Like the Rain: A Read-To-Me Book of Poems

4. What book have your read more often than any other? Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Funny story here. I was in grade school when these books came out. My mom gave me money to get a book at the pop-up book club store that came twice a year. The Prisoner of Azkaban was the one that just came out and EVERYONE was reading HP, so I bought it. My mom used to get me and my brother together at night to read chapter books and she realized something was wrong halfway through the second chapter. So we stopped reading it until we purchased the first two. So I read the first 2.5 chapters of the third HP book once more than any of the others. HA! (I read the whole series three times so far.)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I stayed up late reading them all but this particular one had me up all night.

Cinder
I've been slowly collecting this series one by one but have not purchased the entire set. I don't want to start the set until I obtained them all. It's killing me!

message 36: by Pari (new)

Pari | 2 comments My favorite book is “Harry Potter “s series.
I enjoyed read them and lived in story with its characters.
Now it’s different kind of book I like to read. I read biography more than other book. The books have real story is exciting for me like Turia Pitt .

message 37: by QueenAmidala28 (new)

QueenAmidala28 | 45 comments 1. My favorite book as a child was Charlotte's Web by E.B. White and anything pertaining to the Babysitters Club :)

2. How can a bookclub ask this of their members? Seriously? I have favorite(S) for EACH genre but not ONE favorite :) Some of them include: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë , Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind , Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho , The Chosen by Chaim Potok , Ender's Shadow (The Shadow Series, #1) by Orson Scott Card and The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

3. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison , Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse ,

4. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Any Sword of Truth novel

4. No Idea

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (janderson6188) 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I used to read a series of books called ‘Rockett’s World’ by Purple Moon. The books were based on a computer game and they had a website that was really fun when I was young. They are out of print now. I also liked the series Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. These two series were probably my favourite.

My favourite book now is The Glass Castle.

The book I would never remove from my bookshelf is The Alchemist.

The book I have read more than any other is Night.

Many books have kept me up late.

Too many to count.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
Probably The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it was my introduction to fantasy, and I'm grateful for that.
To Kill a Mockingbird This remains my all time favorite book.
Several books that belonged to my dad. Particularly, some books of poetry.
To Kill a Mockingbird In fact, if there is ever a trivia contest for this book, you'll want me on your team. Seriously.
This year, The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle That was such a clever book, and I had to know how it ended.
That's a tough call, but I'll go with a book that's yet to be titled and is due for release next year. It's the 5th and final book of Christopher Husberg Chaos Queen quintet.

message 40: by Lou (new)

Lou Mac (loudotmac) | 13 comments I’m looking forward to joining in with this group.
I’m hoping 2020 will be a successful reading year.

I loved the Goosebumps series, my standouts were Welcome to Camp Nightmare and It Came from Beneath the Sink!, I also adored Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton.

Pet Sematary, and that hasn’t changed for a few years. I’ve reread it many times and it still sends shivers up my spine!

I’m sad to say, but I don’t really own any treasured books.

Probably Pet Sematary, because I know it’s gonna give me the kick I want.

I recently read The Pillars of the Earth and there were many nights I stayed up waaay past my bed time to get more pages in. It was a captivating read.

I’m wanting to get some more classics under my belt in 2020, so I’m especially looking forward to Frankenstein.

message 41: by Blackmamah (new)

Blackmamah Hello! Ok, here I go:

I don't have a favourite book, but a saga. It's a Spanish saga called "Manolito gafotas", writte by Elvira Lindo. I read all the books from the saga when I was a kid and cannot even choose one of them as a favourite because a love all of them. It's the story of the life of a very funny and real kid.
My favourite book is "Los renglones torcidos de dios", by Torcuato Luca de Tena. I don't know the name in English. That book made mi brain explode and it's still in pieces with the story.
I would never remove any of the books that mean something to me.
I have never re-read any book. I think I have too many books in my to read list as to do so, but I may do it someday.
Good books always keep me up, but I think I'll say "Los renglones torcidos de dios" again.
Wow, I'm looking forward to reading many books, but I guess the one book that I wanna read the most right now is "A darker shade of magic" and well, the entire trilogy.

message 42: by Thomas (last edited Dec 31, 2019 06:20PM) (new)

Thomas Hayes | 23 comments My favourite book as a child: Sabre Jet Ace Sabre Jet Ace

My favourite now: Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

The book(s) I would never remove from my shelf is The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell Maybe I will fully understand it one day.

The book I have read most often is Pillars of the Earth: The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) by Ken Follett

When I was 11-years old, I stayed up all night and into the next day reading Lord of the Rings The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien

I am most looking forward to reading Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

message 43: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 951 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
My favorite as a child was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss

I have many favorites, so it's hard to choose one, but in 2019, my favorite book read this year is: 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shafak

This book about surviving a concentration camp during the Holocaust made a huge impact on me when I first read it: Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

I don't often re-read, but it's probably Hamlet by Shakespeare, which I had to read at various times for middle school, high school, and university.

When I was in high school, I remember staying up all night reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I just could not put it down until I finished. Needless to say, I was very tired the next day during class.

I am looking forward to reading Blindness by José Saramago. I have committed to reading 5 of his works in 2020, and I have heard good things about this one.

message 44: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (haru_ran) | 183 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
I'm not really sure that I can quite remember. I've read a lot when I was a kid but I can just really recall my favorite from my teen years which would be Spike and Dru Pretty Maids All in a Row (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) by Christopher Golden

My all time favorite is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

There honestly are quite a few. Aside from my favorite above, it would definitely be The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris (or the entire series to be exact).

Hands down The Picture of Dorian Gray. Mose - Sohn der Verheißung by Wolfram zu Mondfeld is a very close second though.

This would be a draw between Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer and The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) by Ken Follett when both reached a very suspensing part that I kept reading far into the night and to the last page.

Actually I'm just looking forward to read all my neglected books, but I've been meaning to read The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien for a very long time now.

message 45: by Heather (last edited Jan 02, 2020 12:21AM) (new)

Heather (laney3) 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
Mousekin's Golden House by Edna Miller (I adore the illustrations!)

Mousekin's Golden House (Mousekin, #1) by Edna Miller
The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (I'm a teacher - makes the kids and me laugh!)

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka
Attack of the Vampire Weenies by David Lubar (a student gave it to me and later died, so it's precious)
Attack of the Vampire Weenies (Weenies, #5) by David Lubar
The Stinky Cheese Man

Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2) by Tomi Adeyemi

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (just started it, and it's really different and intriguing)
The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

message 46: by book_bear (new)

book_bear | 15 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child? Toss up between The Hobbit, or There and Back Again and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
2. What is your favorite book now? Easily The Hobbit, or There and Back Again! Hands down! I've read it maybe 20 times!
3. What book would you never remove from your bookshelf? Once again, The Hobbit, or There and Back Again!
4. What book have your read more often than any other? Third time's a charm, The Hobbit, or There and Back Again!
5. What book kept you up way past your bedtime? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I waited so long for this book to come out that I binge read it and took the following day off to read it. I even waited in line for it at the book store like a nerd!
6. What book are you looking most forward to reading? Any new book my favorite living author, Michelle Moran, comes out with. I also enjoy John Flanagan's books when they come out. I really want to read The Peoples of Middle-earth!

message 47: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 6 comments 1. What was your favorite book as a child?
It's a tie between the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and His Dark Materials. I still love both series.

Hands down The Picture of Dorian Gray. My favorite since I was a young teen.

Neither of my editions of Dorian Gray are ever going anywhere.

Again, probably Dorian Gray. I'm not sure, but I've read it a lot.

The last book I stayed up all night to finish was The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I'm very hyped for when The Secret Commonwealth comes out in Brazil so I can finally read it. As for books I already own, I got Elton John's autobiography, Me, for Christmas and I'm very excited to finally read it!

message 48: by Jai (new)

Jai Rahim (artful1) | 41 comments 1. Favorite book as a child? Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.

2. Favorite book now? At the moment it is Six of Crows. Relative newbie in the YA fantasy genre, I only just discovered Leigh Bardugo, and am now hooked.

3. Never remove from my shelves? The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. A life-long favorite which I have also gifted several times to family & friends.

4. Read more than once? So many books, so little time. I prefer to move on to the next great read, rather than reread books. The only book that comes to mind in this rare (for me) situation, is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

5. Kept up past bedtime? A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Every book in this series kept me up all night!

6. Most looking forward to reading? Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. Can't wait to dive into the sequel in this duology.

message 49: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Learmonth | 2 comments 1. Something from Nothing! My grandmother was very crafty and could make anything and I'm trying to follow in her footsteps and that book always had a special place in my heart.
2. I have 2 favourites. Little Women and Wuthering Heights they've been my favourite a very long time.
3. Ummmm all of them? haha I have a very hard time getting rid of books I keep them all.
4. More than once? Wuthering Heights
5. Too many to count have kept me up past my bedtime ahah
6. I'm looking most forward to reading Les Mes. It's been on my list a long time and I've never gotten around to reading it.

message 50: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 3 comments 1. Favorite book as a child? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

2. Favorite book now? East of EdenAt the moment it is

3. Never remove from my shelves? The Little Prince

4. Read more than once? I was an English teacher for many years, so many, but my favorite was probably Of Mice and Men

5. Kept up past bedtime? A Discovery of Witches

6. Most looking forward to reading? The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

« previous 1