Addicted to YA discussion

Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
This topic is about Prince Caspian
Series > Prince Caspian

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5211 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Gwyneth. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going. Look out for comments and questions the discussion leader might make and respond back to them!

message 2: by gwen (new)

gwen (gwentg) | 719 comments I’m starting prince caspian today!

message 3: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy | 31 comments I’m doing a reread 😍

message 4: by Chloé (new) - added it

Chloé (ofbooksanddust) Hi !

message 5: by gwen (last edited Dec 03, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

gwen (gwentg) | 719 comments Chapter One
One thing I noticed right from the start was the fabulous authorship. I love the way the writing flows and the expressions the characters say that no one uses anyone (by Jove, bother, I say, nay, etc.). It was published in 1951 (which in my opinion is an amazing year in terms of style and language). The four children talk without the messy phrases of today's language, as illustrated in the following passage:
"I say," exclaimed Lucy. "I do believe that's an apple tree."
It was. They panted up the steep bank, forced their way through some brambles, and found themselves standing round an old tree that was heavy with large yellowish golden apples as firm and juicy as you could wish to see.
"And this is not the only tree," said Edmund with his mouth full of apple. "Look there—and there."
"Why, there are dozens of them," said Susan.
- Page 11
Do you prefer the writing style/language used in Prince Caspian or the more modern (and perhaps more casual/messy) style of today's literature?

message 6: by Louie (new)

Louie | 376 comments Gwyneth wrote: "Chapter One
One thing I noticed right from the start was the fabulous authorship. I love the way the writing flows and the expressions the characters say that no one uses anyone (by Jove, bother, I..."

I like reading the way they talked back then, because it sounds a lot cleaner than today's language. Though I personally prefer today's language. Probably because I am more used to it.

message 7: by Baby Alicorns (new)

Baby Alicorns (babyalicorns) I have read this book several times, but it has been about three years since I have picked it up. I think I'm due for a reread!

message 8: by gwen (new)

gwen (gwentg) | 719 comments What do you think about the Dwarf that Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy save from drowning? He seems very knowledgeable, but is he trustworthy?

Umairah | Sereadipity (sereadipity) I love all the Narnia books but I haven't read them in ages. I guess I should reread them too!