Play Book Tag discussion

December 2018: Geek Reads > Blameless by Gail Carriger, 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Steampunk + inventors = Geek Reads
This is the third book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. Light and fluffy, full of geekish inventors and steampunk contraptions.
Alexia, expelled from her home and jobless, takes a dangerous trek across the European continent in order to find out more about her ancestors and her current medical condition. She is chased throughout most of the book, by automaton creatures, vampires, werewolves, religious zealots, and an insane scientist and his dog.
Paranormal steampunk mystery adventure with humor and romance. Overall, a fun, fast, enjoyable read.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7107 comments I have been eyeing this series as I have not had any light reading in a while-looks like it would suit me!

message 3: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments I love this series! Carriger is one of my go-tos for frothy steampunk fun. Nice job avoiding major spoilers, too, Critterbee!

That said, anyone looking into reading this series, start at the beginning with Soulless. Order very much matters here, and this is an unfortunate case of plot synopses in subsequent books spoilering earlier ones.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7107 comments Hebah wrote: "I love this series! Carriger is one of my go-tos for frothy steampunk fun. Nice job avoiding major spoilers, too, Critterbee!

That said, anyone looking into reading this series, start at the begin..."

Thanks for the heads-up!

message 5: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I agree completely about the importance of starting with Soulless! Reading out of order, or even reading the plot synopses, will spoil many plot points.

I started Soulless last month, and then quickly went through the next two in the series - very fun to read!

message 6: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments If you are rapidly becoming a Carriger fan, as I suspect may be the case, feel free to join the Parasol Protectorate group on Facebook. She runs it herself, and it's just a fun place with lots of posts about tea, hedgehogs, what people are reading, random Anglophilia, and generally positive posts.

message 7: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I am enjoying them, and that Parasol Protectorate group sounds cool - what is Facebook?

message 9: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Haha sorry, I was just being an addle pate! I don't do facebook, but do appreciate the information.

message 10: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments I haven’t read Parasols yet, but have read the first of the Etiquette and Espionage series (related) - a whole load of fun!

message 11: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments KateNZ wrote: "I haven’t read Parasols yet, but have read the first of the Etiquette and Espionage series (related) - a whole load of fun!"

Thanks, that is good to know - I will turn my eyes towards that after I finish the series.

message 12: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments I tried Soulless a few years ago and couldn't get into it. This month might be a good chance to give it another go.

message 13: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1032 comments I have read all of the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. Great fun stuff.

message 14: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I have now finished the Parasol Protectorate series (finished Timeless earlier today) and overall, I love it! Timeless might be my favourite, I just loved how everything ended up. I will def have to read other Carriger works, starting with the Finishing School series.