21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > January 2019 Wild Card Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (last edited Dec 02, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Whitney | 2160 comments Mod
Nominations are now open or the first Wild Card choice of the New Year! They will be open through December 8th, and the voting will start on the 9th. The discussion will start on January 15th,

The purpose of the Wild Card is to choose books that fall outside our usual rules by being more on the ‘genre’ side of things (e.g., sci-fi, fantasy, YA, romances, westerns, graphic novels, etc.) but still of literary interest. More about the Wild Card can be found here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nominating Guidelines:
- One nomination per person
- Fiction (originally published between Jan. 2000 and Jan 14, 2018)
- Wouldn't normally fit in our Open Pick

If you are nominating a book, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name w. hyperlink to book]".

message 2: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments I nominate Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. I heard one of her short stories read on Levar Burton Reads and it made me want to read more.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Bretnie wrote: "I nominate Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. I heard one of her short stories read on Levar Burton Reads and it made me want to read more."

A fine choice! I've loved everything I've read by Okorafor. Didn't Burton read a couple of hers?

And did you know Who Fears Death is being produced as a series on HBO? George RR Martin is a producer. Stoked!

message 4: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments Ooooh nice!

And now I’m going to go check with one I missed from Levar Burton Reads!

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
Thanks for kicking this off Whitney, and thanks for a great nomination Bretnie.

message 6: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate Ransom by David Malouf

Ransom by David Malouf

It lives somwhere between the fantasy and mythology shelf, some say it’s “historical” but that seems iffy to me.

message 7: by Marc (last edited Dec 04, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2719 comments Mod
Lia, Ransom looks like a fantastic book, but probably better suited for the Open Pick given its clear ties to classical literature and Malouf's rep as a literary heavyweight. If it's any consolation, the title would then have 12 chances per year to win a poll instead of just the 4 that we have for the Wild Card.

Please do submit another Wild Card option if you've got one in mind.

message 8: by Lia (new)

Lia Thanks Marc. I thought, since it’s myth/ fantasy... it’s automatically “not literary.”

I don’t have any nomination for now, I’ve been reading the Iliad and I just thought it would be fun to read a modern twist with friends.

message 9: by Marc (new)

I'm not saying you feel this way, Lia, but members often feel bad and/or frustrated when they nominate something and one of the moderators asks that it be a nominee for an Open Pick. You didn't do anything wrong or break any rules or anything like that. It just means we feel like the book qualifies for a wider-category than the Wild Card.

If it's at all helpful, I can tell you some of the discussions we typically have or the questions we ask:

Where would we find this book in a bookstore?
GR's first tag for it is "fiction"; the Publisher's is "literary fiction"; we didn't think it would be shelved with "fantasy" even though myth and fantasy certainly count as accurate tags for the book.

Would this book fit in the Open Pick or would it somehow face unfair competition if it was placed there?
E.g., The most lyrical, genre-redefining, next-to-be-on-the-literary-canon-forever zombie novel is not likely to get a fair shake in the Open Pick.

What reputation does the author have?
Is he/she/they known for literary fiction or are they mostly considered a "genre" writer? What type of awards was/is the book in the running for?

There's an Open Pick every month, so no one should ever have to wait too long to re-nominate any books (the next round of nominations will start in 9 days).

message 10: by Lia (new)

Lia Thanks Marc, that’s really helpful.

FWIW, I only meant to say that I nominated this book because I’m currently crazy about the Iliad, I didn’t mean to sound like I was taking my ball and leaving!

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 458 comments Lia wrote: "Thanks Marc, that’s really helpful.

FWIW, I only meant to say that I nominated this book because I’m currently crazy about the Iliad, I didn’t mean to sound like I was taking my ball and leaving!"

And I'm crazy about Ransom! It's definitely in my lifetime top 10.

message 12: by Marc (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:54PM) (new)

Well, I dislike taking the air out of anyone's excitement, especially when it comes to books, but I'm glad you're not going anywhere!!! I hope you do nominate it again in the Open Pick--it looks wonderful. Glad you're enjoying The Illiad--I believe I read that and The Odyssey back to back, but it's been quite a few years.

message 13: by Lia (new)

Lia Nadine wrote: "And I'm crazy about Ransom! It's definitely in my lifetime top 10. "

In 9 days, you and I ... let’s hold this group to Ransom! 😈

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 458 comments Lia wrote: "Nadine wrote: "And I'm crazy about Ransom! It's definitely in my lifetime top 10. "

In 9 days, you and I ... let’s hold this group to Ransom! 😈"

And I know of a couple of GR confederates who'd join us :)

message 15: by Hugh (last edited Dec 10, 2018 01:26AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2716 comments Mod
We are past the closing date, and we still have just one valid nomination, so there is no poll required and Who Fears Death has won. Bretnie, are you willing to lead the discussion (as always the moderators will give you any help you need)...

message 16: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments Oh man, victory by default! Hopefully that doesn't mean I'll be the only one reading it. :) Sure, I'll lead! Would a moderator mind setting up the threads for it though? Thanks!

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Bretnie- I plan on reading it! I put a hold on the book yesterday. I should have it in January. I’ve never heard of it but I’ve read the author’s Binti series. I don’t usually read books w this group because I can’t get them in time or my library doesn’t have them! I lucked out on this one.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 458 comments I'm in too, Bretnie!

message 19: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2354 comments I downloaded the Kindle edition and plan to participate.

message 20: by Marc (new)

I've got an unread Kindle copy, so count me in. We'll set up the thread a day or so before the discussion starts (Jan. 15th).

message 21: by Whitney (new)

Bretnie wrote: "Oh man, victory by default! Hopefully that doesn't mean I'll be the only one reading it. :) Sure, I'll lead! Would a moderator mind setting up the threads for it though? Thanks!"

It was so awesome a pick that no one felt they could compete! I'm in for the read as well.

message 22: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments Excellent :)

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter Aronson (peteraronson) | 516 comments I, too, plan on reading it.

message 24: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 66 comments I'm in, too. Just ordered the book and can't wait to get started.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Izaguirre (sweetji) | 122 comments I just got it from my library, so I will read it as well, can't wait.

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) | 12 comments I wasn't planning on reading it right away but since it won the group pick I might as well. Plus it feels like the right book to read when I need a break from studying! :-)

message 27: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments I should start the book soon so I actually finish it in time to lead the discussion! :)

message 28: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments I finished today and am excited to discuss it with everyone!

I was going to set up the discussion threads since I'll be out of town until the 14th, but I failed at figuring out how to create a new folder. Could a moderator help me with that? I was going to set it up with 1 general non-spoiler, 1 for Parts 1 & 2, and 1 for Part 3.

I'll come back on the 14th with some discussion questions and more info to share!

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Only mods can add a new folder, so we'll do that along with the non-spoiler thread. The discussion doesn't officially begin until the 15th, anyway, so you can add your preferred threads when you get back.

Enjoy your trip!

message 30: by Whitney (last edited Jan 13, 2019 10:40PM) (new)

Bretnie, FYI, folder is up and waiting for you. Let me know if you have any issues or questions. (Your profile settings won't let me send you a private message).

message 31: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 653 comments Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ransom (other topics)
Who Fears Death (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Malouf (other topics)