Play Book Tag discussion

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
This topic is about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Archive: Other Books > Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 02, 2018 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments The Seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Rating 3.5, bumped up to 4.
This book is about a famous Hollywood Star who (at the age of 79) offers a writer the chance to write her authorized biography, promising to "tell all." This book is hard to put down once you start. It’s a fast paced book with beautiful Hollywood stars, drama, suspense, manipulation, romance, and surprises. If that sounds a bit trashy to you, I can't disagree. However, the book also has a lot of heart and some very clever plotting. The book includes compelling gay, lesbian and bi characters living in a time (1950’s on) when coming out would destroy careers or get someone killed. In my opinion the LGB (no T) relationships in this book were often more honest (and less trashy) than most of the seven marriages referred to in the title.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8279 comments Ah you bumped it up! I agreed that the truest relationship in the book, were the unconventional ones. Was really touched by this book.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Thanks for the review Nancy. This kind of read isn't my usual, but you've sparked my interest. Onto the ever growing TBR list list it goes!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments Amy wrote: "Ah you bumped it up! I agreed that the truest relationship in the book, were the unconventional ones. Was really touched by this book."

I was too. I keep thinking about the ending. I don't think I would have approved of Monique's decision (to turn back or not) when I was young, but now, I think it was just right.

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 02, 2018 10:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments LiteraryMania wrote: "Thanks for the review Nancy. This kind of read isn't my usual, but you've sparked my interest. Onto the ever growing TBR list list it goes!"

It's not my usual either, but I'm glad I read it. I'm trying to finish two long books with no compelling female characters. So I needed this book right now.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been thinking about this book but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe its times to bump it up.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8279 comments Rachel, it’s on my streak suggestion list for you.