2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > 2019 Jan-March Buddy Reads - Sign Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 449 (449 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Jan 09, 2019 01:22PM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments 2019 Buddy Reads - Introduction

Buddy Reads are a great way for members to share their thoughts and ideas about the books they read! Here is how they work!

*Nominate a single book for a buddy read by posting the title and the month you want to read it in this introduction thread.

*Nominate a book series for a buddy read by posting the title of the series, the title of the first book in the series and the month you want to start the series in this introduction thread.

*When you see a book nominated that you want to read, post your interest and the title in this introduction thread.

*Please always mention the book that you are interested in when you post in this thread because there are several conversations in this thread at the same time.

*As long as two or more people are interested in reading the same book in the same month, I will create a thread for discussion. Anyone can participate in a buddy read – even if I have not added you to the list of participants yet!

*Book series will start with the first book in the first month, the second book the next month, etc.

*Most buddy reads are scheduled for a month, however, long books can be scheduled for two or three months and even longer for really long books. Book series with longer books can also be scheduled for longer periods of time.

*All new buddy read nominations must be made 5 days prior to the next month so that there is plenty of time for the group (and I) to schedule the buddy read.

*Each Buddy Reads thread will include a list of participants, the number of pages, and the timeframe. It will also include a reminder about spoilers and a link to this thread for more information.

*Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers!!!

* MARK SPOILERS so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others. Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

And that is how Buddy Reads work! Please let me know if you have any questions.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) For Auntie Terror and myself the Mistborn series starting in April please:

Apr - 1.0 The Final Empire
May - 2.0 The Well of Ascension
Jun - 3.0 The Hero of Ages
Jul - 4.0 The Alloy of Law
Aug - 5.0 Shadows of Self
Sept - 6.0 The Bands of Mourning
Okt - 7.0 The Lost Metal

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) And I am reading The Silent Companions in January with.....

Man, oh man. Lesson learned, when you agree to a buddy read, make a note for when and with whom...

Sandra?
Joan?

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Anybody up for a buddy read in January for:

- A Dog's Way Home

and/or

- The Knife of Never Letting Go (I probably won't be reading the rest of the series until 2020 though...)

message 5: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Susy, I will join you for The Knife of Never Letting Go in January.

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie | 303 comments I can do The Knife of Never Letting Go in January if you need a third :)

message 7: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments I'm so sad that I can't join Susy and Auntie Terror for the Mistborn Trilogy buddy reads in 2019--I even have most of the books already. *cries

But I decided last month to wait until 2020 because I've owned the Oxford Time Travel books too long--I'm finally going to read them next year.
Hope there will be another Mistborn Trilogy buddy read then, LOL!
Or maybe I should go over my 2019 plans again to see if I can squeeze in Mistborn....

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Kristin wrote: "Isn't the Knife of Never Letting Go a Group read nomination? Might I suggest waiting to see if wins the Group read poll first?"

I think that one got nixed because it has been a group read in the past.

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments the sequel to the Alienist by Caleb Carr- Surrender, New York in January is for Alex Scott and I

message 10: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4093 comments I'd like to join for The Final Empire :)

message 11: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) SarahKat wrote: "Susy, I will join you for The Knife of Never Letting Go in January."

Cool SarahKat!

Allie wrote: "I can do The Knife of Never Letting Go in January if you need a third :)"

The more the merrier Allie! So if you're interested you're more than welcome to join!

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) SarahKat wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Isn't the Knife of Never Letting Go a Group read nomination? Might I suggest waiting to see if wins the Group read poll first?"

I think that one got nixed because it has been a gro..."

Yup

message 13: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) oshizu wrote: "I'm so sad that I can't join Susy and Auntie Terror for the Mistborn Trilogy buddy reads in 2019--I even have most of the books already. *cries

But I decided last month to wait until 2020 because ..."

Too bad! If you change your mind you're always welcome to join us Oshizu!

message 14: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments Susy wrote: "oshizu wrote: "I'm so sad that I can't join Susy and Auntie Terror for the Mistborn Trilogy buddy reads in 2019--I even have most of the books already. *cries

But I decided last month to wait unti..."

Thank you for the tempting welcome!
The series (with all page counts) is still sitting there in my 2019 spreadsheet. Maybe just The Final Empire? lol

I'll post in this thread if I can swing it. :D

message 15: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) oshizu wrote: "Thank you for the tempting welcome!
The series (with all page counts) is still sitting there in my 2019 spreadsheet. Maybe just The Final Empire? lol

I'll post in this thread if I can swing it. :D"

👍

message 16: by Consuelo (new)

Consuelo | 190 comments I also want to continue the outlander series. It would be like this:
January/February: 4-Drums of Autumn
March/April: 5-The Fiery Cross
May/June: 6-A Breath of Snow and Ashes
July/August: 7-An Echo in the Bone
September/October: 8- Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
PS: We have also The Lord John Grey Series, and novellas based in the main story. However, I don't know if you prefer to read by your own or scheduled them as well.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley ❣️ | 165 comments I want to do the To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before Trilogy and The Summer I turned Pretty Trilogy

January - To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and The Summer I turned Pretty

February- P.S I Still Love You and It’s Not Summer Without You

March- Always and Forever Lara Jean and We’ll Always Have Summer

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I would like to do the mistborn series

Anybody want to read brave new world sometime in 2019?

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 597 comments I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read An Edible History of Humanity near Springtime if anyone is interested.

I'd like to sign up for 1Q84.

The last one I want to recommend is And the Mountains Echoed for the summer.

message 20: by Casey (last edited Dec 02, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Casey (mozambique) | 33 comments Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read An Edible History of Humanity near Springtime if an..."

I will, I've had the first book for like 2 years. I think its time. (Game of Thrones) just realized I didn't mention what I was talking about.

message 21: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 459 comments Would anyone like to read The Sun Is Also a Star or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society in the January, February, or March?

message 22: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read An Edible History of Humanity near Springtime if an..."

I will join you for And the Mountains Echoed if you choose which month.

message 23: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I am planning to read Warcross in January, Where'd You Go, Bernadette in March and The Power in July if anyone would like to join me.

Also I'm planning to try to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell this year. It would probably need to be over two months as it is chunky!

message 24: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I can fit it in whenever suits. I think I will need some motivation for it.

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 597 comments Kristin wrote: "Catherine, I added you to my ongoing list for 1Q84. Thank you for joining in!

I will not be joining you for And the Mountains Echoed, but wanted to say I read it when it came out and highly recom..."

Thank you, I'm super excited for all of the books I'm lining up for this year. I've never actually tried to organize myself in book form, haha.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 597 comments Lindsay wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read An Edible History of Humanity nea..."

How does June sound for you? That way you don't get too clogged up. :)

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 597 comments Casey wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read An Edible History of Humanity nea..."

Sounds awesome! I'm planning to read all of the books that are already out; I was planning to aim to finish one every two months. Would that timeline be okay with you?

message 28: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Catherine wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read [book:An Edible History of Human..."

Kristin wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I can fit it in whenever suits. I think I will need some motivation for it."

I don't know why, but it seems like a fall book to me. How does September & October sound to you for [b..."

Both sound perfect. I will add them to my list. It's so exciting looking forward to the year ahead.

message 29: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (hydropyro777) | 6 comments Where can I sign up for the buddy reads?

message 30: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments Lindsay wrote: "I am planning to read Warcross in January, Where'd You Go, Bernadette in March and The Power in July if anyone would like to join me.

Also I'm plann..."

Lindsay, I'd love to join you to read Warcross as I also plan to read Warcross (and Wildcard) in January! Yay!

message 31: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 02, 2018 06:56PM) (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments Kristin wrote: "Lindsay, I'll read Jonathan Strange... with you if you are willing to wait until summer or fall."

Lindsay and Kristin,
I maybe might join you for Jonathan Strange.
I've been wanting to read that for a while but other books keep crowding into my vision.
Especially, if you decide to read it in the fall (when I'm feeling less over-committed with challenges), I would find it easier to join.
Oh wait, I see Kristin has suggested Sep-Oct.

Since you're both in, I'll hang back until summer when I feel less...overwhelmed. And try to join you because I really want to read that book!

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Kristin my version only has Brave New World, I would be happy to do Brave New World Revisited as well ideally in a separate month

I would like to sign up for the Jonathan strange & mr norelle read

message 33: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Lindsay wrote: "I am planning to read Warcross in January, Where'd You Go, Bernadette in March and The Power in July if anyone would like to join me...."

I'm reading Where'd you go, Bernadette in February (and gave it up for the group read) if you're interested in reading it a month earlier?

message 34: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Susy wrote: "Anybody up for a buddy read in January for:

- A Dog's Way Home
"

Still looking for a buddy if anyone's interested. The movie comes out in January so good for a few of the 2019 challenges ;-)

message 35: by Casey (new)

Casey (mozambique) | 33 comments Catherine wrote: "Casey wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm going to start reading the Song of Ice and Fire series in January if anyone wants to join me with that.

I'd also like to read [book:An Edible History of Humanit..."

that's fine. I need to finish the Kingsbridge trilogy in 2019, I may be the only person left in the world, but I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either. Thought I might give it a go.

message 36: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments Casey wrote: "I may be the only person left in the world, but I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either. Thought I might give it a go. "

Haha, you are not alone! I read my first (and only) Harry Potter book earlier this year, mostly because it's being offered on Prime Reading...

message 37: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 863 comments I'm interested in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Whichever month is fine. I don't have anything planned yet.

I'm also interested in To All the Boys I've Loved Before series although I'm supposed to read the first book in December but I can jump in on the other two.

message 38: by Casey (new)

Casey (mozambique) | 33 comments oshizu wrote: "Casey wrote: "I may be the only person left in the world, but I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either. Thought I might give it a go. "

Haha, you are not alone! I read my first (and on..."

Oh is it? cuz I have prime. Good to know I wasn't the only child who somehow, just didn't read them. Did you like it?

message 39: by Harini (new)

Harini (_hpa) | 37 comments I'm interested to read Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Any month is fine with me.

message 40: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 343 comments Lindsay wrote: "Would anyone like to read The Sun Is Also a Star or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society in the January, February, or March?"

If I can get ahold of a copy of Guernsey Literary, I want to read this one! It's been on my list for a while now. I can do whatever month is preferred for others, just need enough notice to request it from the library :)

message 41: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 343 comments Consuelo wrote: "I also want to continue the outlander series. It would be like this:
July/August: 7-An Echo..."

I would like to go back and read some of these again, it's been years for a few!

message 42: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments Cassie wrote: "Consuelo wrote: "I also want to continue the outlander series. It would be like this:
July/..."

I would like to join you in these. It's been so long since I read them and I have not read the latest "In My Own Hearts Blood" which I got at a book signing. (shameful of me) :)

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyer | 23 comments I would love to pair up the someone or a group to read every month. I know someone wanted to do A Dog’s Way Home in January. I’m in for that!

message 44: by Nicoletta (new)

Nicoletta Daum (daum9812) | 26 comments I would like to join in on the October buddy read- The Testaments (Handmaid's Tale #2)!

message 45: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 459 comments Alright, takers for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, how about January?

message 46: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Laura wrote: "I would love to pair up the someone or a group to read every month. I know someone wanted to do A Dog’s Way Home in January. I’m in for that!"

Yes, me! Yay!

message 47: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

oshizu | 5402 comments Susy wrote: "oshizu wrote: "I'm so sad that I can't join Susy and Auntie Terror for the Mistborn Trilogy buddy reads in 2019--I even have most of the books already. *cries

Too bad! If you change your mind you're always welcome to join us Oshizu! ..."

Okay, I "ruthlessly" redid and pruned the book lists for most of my 2019 challenges this morning.
Susy and Auntie Terror, I will be joining you to read The Mistborn Trilogy from April. Yay!

message 48: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 343 comments Lindsay wrote: "Alright, takers for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, how about January?"

I can do January, I'll put a request in for it!

message 49: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 431 comments @Susy: Thanks for "listing" The Final Empire for April. :-)
And, as I've already said, I'd love to join in on The Silent Companions.

Also, Ilona & oshizu, great to find more people to read along for Sanderson's book.

message 50: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Susy wrote: "Yay!
Ehh, does that mean you'll only be reading the first 3 books?..."

*coughs (Does that "Ehh" express disdain or disappointment? lol)

Have you two decided what order to read the Cosmere series?
Will you be including Elantris, The Emperor's Soul, Warbreaker, and Storm Archive #1 before Alloy of Law?
I'll read in any order the two of you decide.

Lol, disappointment for sure! :)

message 24: by oshizu (last edited 4 minutes ago) 6 minutes ago
oshizu | 400 comments By the way, here's a rough approximation of the page counts for the series.
MB1 The Final Empire, 541 pgs
MB2 The Well of Ascension, 590 pgs
MB3 The Hero of Age, 572 pgs
MB3.5 Mistborn: The Secret History, 160
EL2 The Emperor's Soul, 175 pgs
(Stormlight Archive #1: Way of Kings, 1001 pgs.. Ok, scratch this one for 2019)
EL1 Elantris, 662 pgs
(WB1 Warbreaker, 669 pgs: will read this on my own later)
MB4 The Alloy of Law, 333 pgs (sigh of relief!)
MB5 Shadows of Self, 385 pgs
MB6 Bands of Mourning, 448 pgs

I guess my question is whether we'll be reading Mistborn 3.5 and Elantris #1-#2?
Sorry to clutter your Member's Corner space, Auntie Terror.
Should we go clutter up the Buddy Reads thread instead?

I'm reading MB 1-7 first and saving 3.5 and 4.5 (in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection) till after The Way of Kings (if I decide to continue with Warbreaker, The Stormlight Archive and Elantris after Mistborn) because of some spoilers).

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.