2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > February Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Jan 02, 2019 05:43AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for February! The theme is Blue

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by December 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4091 comments I'd like to nominate The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, because the cover is blue!

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Not very original but a blue cover for Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1015 comments Ilona wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, because the cover is blue!"

Second that

message 5: by Harini (new)

Harini (_hpa) | 37 comments Ilona wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, because the cover is blue!"

+1

message 6: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Susy wrote: "Not very original but a blue cover for Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple"

I second this one - been on my TBR forever!

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll nominate Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse for the blue cover.

message 8: by Pooja (new)

Pooja (poojadukhi) | 22 comments I'll nominate Even Cowgirls Get the Blues because it seems like a cute little piece and february is all about forgetting our worries and being in love. Stupid I know but its my first time nominating something. 😀

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Pooja wrote: "I'll nominate Even Cowgirls Get the Blues because it seems like a cute little piece and february is all about forgetting our worries and being in love. Stupid I know but its my first ti..."

Not stupid at all thank you for your nomination keep them coming!

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments I'm going to suggest Blue Bloods I plan to reread the series this year.

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments If it doesn't win i'll happily buddy read it with you.

message 12: by Mini (new)

Mini (mini_sagas) | 28 comments I'd like to nominate Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

Blue cover, voyaging across the deep blue sea. Also possibly blue in relation to mental health.

message 13: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments I'm going to nominate The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. In addition to a blue cover, oceans are often associated with the colour blue

message 14: by Shala (new)

Shala | 181 comments This is an older book, so I hope that's OK. I would like to nominate The Names They Gave Us for the blue on the cover, it takes place in a summer camp by the lake, and the Mom in the story has cancer which is sad. This is my first time nominating something. I hope I did it correctly.

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I would like to nominate Words in Deep Blue. Blue cover, blue in the title, love, grief and the sea. Here's the blurb-

This is a love story.
It's the story of Howling Books, where readers write letters to strangers, to lovers, to poets.
It's the story of Henry Jones and Rachel Sweetie. They were best friends once, before Rachel moved to the sea.
Now, she's back, working at the bookstore, grieving for her brother Cal and looking for the future in the books people love, and the words they leave behind.

message 16: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I second The Ocean at the end of the Lane

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 24 comments A Spool of Blue Thread

I rarely participate or nominate books but this book is one of my absolute favorites. I promise everyone will love it.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 42 comments I'm new, so this is my first book nomination. I would like to nominate Blue Gold Blue Gold

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 280 comments Wendy wrote: "A Spool of Blue Thread

I rarely participate or nominate books but this book is one of my absolute favorites. I promise everyone will love it."

I second A Spool of Blue Thread.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Island of the Blue Dolphins. I always wanted to read this and may still have it tucked away in a tote full of my stuff as a kid.

message 21: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 2 comments The Great Gatsby F Scott Fitzgerald - connection is the symbolism of the colour blue with loneliness and depression

“In his blue gardens men and girls came and went"

"... ghostly birds began to sing among the blue leaves"

"About five o'clock it was blue enough outside to snap off the light.”

“He had come a long way to this blue lawn”

“So when the blue smoke of brittle leaves.”

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments Chloe wrote: "The Great Gatsby F Scott Fitzgerald - connection is the symbolism of the colour blue with loneliness and depression

"... ghostly birds began to ..."

What a great connection to the theme.

message 23: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3071 comments I second Siddhartha

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Pooja wrote: "I'll nominate Even Cowgirls Get the Blues because it seems like a cute little piece and february is all about forgetting our worries and being in love. Stupid I know but its my first ti..."

Definitely not stupid, thank you for your nomination ^^

message 25: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Shala wrote: "This is an older book, so I hope that's OK. I would like to nominate The Names They Gave Us for the blue on the cover, it takes place in a summer camp by the lake, and the Mom in th..."

Doesn't have to be new at all. And you did it correctly, thank you ^^

message 26: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments bookescape wrote: "How about Island of the Blue Dolphins. I always wanted to read this and may still have it tucked away in a tote full of my stuff as a kid."

I'm seconding this one. Never heard about it, but it is on my tbr now, looks exactly like what I like!

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Thank you everyone :D

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1015 comments bookescape wrote: "How about Island of the Blue Dolphins. I always wanted to read this and may still have it tucked away in a tote full of my stuff as a kid."

I really enjoyed that one in elementary school

message 29: by Hope (new)

Hope | 95 comments Thirding Island of the Blue Dolphins :)

message 30: by Julia (new)

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments I second The Ocean at the End of the Lane

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie | 3 comments I'd like to jump in with my suggestion: Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore.
The "blue" connection, besides the name, is my copy has a blue cover.
Christopher Moore writes hilarious farce and I've never been disappointed by his edgy look at life.

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments I nominate Blue Highways: A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon.
This is an excellent book with the title and cover Blue Highways A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon as a connection to the theme.

message 33: by Griselda (last edited Dec 23, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Griselda (grismarku) | 5 comments I'll nominate Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. I have been wanting to read this book forever!

Strange the Dreamer

message 34: by Christina Roso (new)

Christina Roso (bibliophile_rn) | 5 comments I second Strange the Dreamer. It’s stunning cover has been staring at me from my TBR pile for too long and Laini is and amazing writer!!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Griselda wrote: "I'll nominate Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. I have been wanting to read this book forever!

Strange the Dreamer"

I added it to my TBR and third it.

message 36: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 343 comments I’ll nominate Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. It’s been years since I’ve read any Lowry books and wouldn’t mind going back to read some again!

message 37: by Diane (new)

message 38: by Ketty (new)

Ketty (bowsandbooks) | 270 comments Finally on the computer to do my nomination properly

Blue is for Nightmares

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 642 comments I will also support "A Spool of Blue Thread. Also to be considered "The Blue Castle" by Lucy Maud Montgomery- not part of the Anne of Green Gables series- it is a stand alone novel.

message 40: by Jordynn (new)

Jordynn Fraser | 190 comments Chloe wrote: "The Great Gatsby F Scott Fitzgerald - connection is the symbolism of the colour blue with loneliness and depression

"... ghostly birds began to ..."

I second this book. Great choice with a good connection to the theme!

message 41: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments A little late due to the holidays, but I'm closing nominations now and posting poll :)

message 42: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.