Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Demon Seed
This topic is about Demon Seed
Stand Alone Novels 1968-1979 > Demon Seed (Group Read - January 2019)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Dec 02, 2018 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6060 comments Mod
Demon Seed has been selected as our January 2019 Group Read. Thank you to everyone who enthusiastically voted on the poll to select this title.

Demon Seed was originally published in 1973 and updated in 1997. We will be focusing on the new edition as it is much more readily available. However, you are certainly welcome to read and compare the older edition if you obtain a copy. I've never read the original edition but I've found the updated version quite entertaining.

We're drawn to high castles,
where old hunchbacked vassals
glare wall-eyed as lightning
flares without brightening.

Laboratories in the high towers,
where the doctor wields power,
creating new life in a dark hour,
in the belfry of the high tower.

- The Book of Counted Sorrows

(as quoted in Demon Seed)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Read this on, might be fun to watch the conversation.

message 3: by Kat, lover of bears... (last edited Jan 18, 2019 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat, lover of bears... (kati3kat) | 14 comments Haven’t read it since the 80’s, looking forward to it as well.

I finished reading Demon Seed for the third time this December. It's such a short book.

message 5: by Linda R, (new) - added it

Linda R, Weird book. I am reading it for the first time. Is there something naturally unnerving about an author writing in the second person? The opening seems so creepy and sad.

message 6: by Linda R, (new) - added it

Linda R, I have finished Demon Seed. I am still reeling from the after affects.

message 7: by Michelle T. (new) - added it

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 3 comments I have never heard about this book. But I'll be looking at the library. Who wrote? Dean Koontz?

message 8: by Linda R, (new) - added it

Linda R, Yes, Demon Seed is January's reread book of the month. Check out Dustin's post at the top o this thread for more info. I have been thinking about the "feminist" approach to the story in the 1997 rewrite of the book, the version I read. I wish I could find a copy of the original to compare it too. It sounds like Koontz rewrote the book to answer feminist criticism about the first version making the female protagonist a victim rather than a survivor. I may like this second version, the one I read more than his first.

message 9: by Fred (last edited Jan 13, 2019 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments In the beginning I read Susan Harris protected by Alfred but it’s sounds more of spirit?

Fred wrote: "In the beginning I read Susan Harris protected by Alfred but it’s sounds more of spirit?"

She was protected by a home security system (view spoiler)

Kat, lover of bears... (kati3kat) | 14 comments I finished my re-read of the book and what a difference reading it 35+ years later. Technology that wasn't there in the 80's is here now so there is a whole level of true believability, not just, "what if". The Audible version is a little more chilling because Christopher Lee does a realistic narration as the voice of Alfred/Prometheus. It was a 5-star book for me in the 80's but only 1-star today. Life experiences combined with Christopher Lee's credible narration left me relieved when it was over.

message 12: by Tricia (last edited Jan 28, 2019 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tricia Toney | 20 comments I liked both the old and updated editions. I liked the pop culture references and technology updates. The character of Susan was also stronger in the updated edition.

Tricia wrote: "I liked both the old and updated editions. I liked the pop culture references and technology updates. The character of Susan was also stronger in the updated edition."

Thanks for the comparison. Did you read both versions recently?

Marlise (mawz76) | 22 comments wow just wow. I'm new to the group but have been a Koontz fan since I was a teen (42 now). I wished the ending would have been drawn out a bit more but I liked that we never got to hear Susan in the first person. Utterly chilling.

Thanks Marlise. Hope you'll stick around and read some more Dean Koontz with us 🙃

Matthew (funkygman007) | 24 comments I think when I read Demon Seed it was in one day - because it was short and riveting! I believe the version I read was the updated one (at least it was a fairly new paperback).

Marlise (mawz76) | 22 comments Thank you Dustin!

Kat, may I ask why it's only a 1 star for you now?

Question... I am thinking about reading the original version. I don't know why, but it bothers me that it was redone. Has anyone read both versions?

message 18: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff Bell | 7 comments I'd like to find a copy of the original version just for comparison. Any ideas?

Marlise (mawz76) | 22 comments Jeff, I found one yesterday on eBay.

Matthew wrote: "I think when I read Demon Seed it was in one day - because it was short and riveting! I believe the version I read was the updated one (at least it was a fairly new paperback)."

Most of the copies of Demon Seed will be the updated version. If "it was a fairly new paperback", It was certainly the updated and more readily available version.

Kat, lover of bears... (kati3kat) | 14 comments Marlise wrote: "Thank you Dustin!

Kat, may I ask why it's only a 1 star for you now?

Question... I am thinking about reading the original version. I don't know why, but it bothers me that it was redone. Has anyo..."

I was in my late teens/early 20’s when reading it the first time. I had little life experience so anything future techie was exciting to me. Fast forward to my 50’s with a post trauma injury from working as a public safety dispatcher and jailer for 11+ years, I found the “voice” of the AI to be reminiscent of caller and inmates. Life experience completely altered my enjoyment of this book now.

Marlise (mawz76) | 22 comments Kat, thank you for your response. That makes sense, I could see how it would change your experience of reading the book.

Kat, lover of bears... (kati3kat) | 14 comments Marlise wrote: "Kat, thank you for your response. That makes sense, I could see how it would change your experience of reading the book."

You're welcome