Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > December 2018 Group Read - The Weight of Ink *NO SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 564 comments Mod
The group read for December 2018 is The Weight of Ink. This thread is the no spoilers thread. There is a thread that is for spoilers if you wish to discuss them.

Set in London of the 1660s and of the early twenty-first century, The Weight of Ink is the interwoven tale of two women of remarkable intellect: Ester Velasquez, an emigrant from Amsterdam who is permitted to scribe for a blind rabbi, just before the plague hits the city; and Helen Watt, an ailing historian with a love of Jewish history.

As the novel opens, Helen has been summoned by a former student to view a cache of seventeenth-century Jewish documents newly discovered in his home during a renovation. Enlisting the help of Aaron Levy, an American graduate student as impatient as he is charming, and in a race with another fast-moving team of historians, Helen embarks on one last project: to determine the identity of the documents’ scribe, the elusive “Aleph.”

Electrifying and ambitious, sweeping in scope and intimate in tone, The Weight of Ink is a sophisticated work of historical fiction about women separated by centuries, and the choices and sacrifices they must make in order reconcile the life of the heart and mind.

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 5 comments I just downloaded this onto my Kindle today. $2.99 bargain. I'm looking forward to joining in a read with the group.

message 3: by Lila (new)

Lila Smith (lilasmith520-) I just got it from the library and I will start reading it tomorrow!

gathering feather organiceden | 4075 comments I’m looking forward to reading this:)

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 53 comments I have read about 120 pages so far and I am enjoying the Ester part of the story and not the modern part. I hope to read more this week, but I am having a little trouble with it because I don't understand the Jewish Religion. Perhaps this will open my eyes to some of the things they believe in.

message 6: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I was supposed to read this for my book group but invoked the reader's commandment the you don't have to finish every book.

message 7: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) If any of you want to ask questions about the Jewish religion I would be happy to help you out if I know the answers.

gathering feather organiceden | 4075 comments I’ve just started - first three chapters/ really drawn in- very interesting!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 53 comments I have read almost 200 pages now and am enjoying it. I prefer things to so sequentially, but this is well marked and doesn't jump around too much.

message 10: by Bri (new)

Bri Jarvis (brim) | 5 comments I'm just starting, and so far I really like it. The writing style is interesting.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments I read this book recently and it's the only book with multiple timelines where I've been more interested in the present time than with the past/historical one. I found Ester very unlikable but Helen very likable indeed and I was always excited when I was finally done reading about Ester and I could read about Helen and Aaron again. I'm eager to hear what everyone else thinks.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 5 comments Shannon wrote: "I read this book recently and it's the only book with multiple timelines where I've been more interested in the present time than with the past/historical one. I found Ester very unlikable but Hele..."

That is good to know; because like you, it is usually the past that is most interesting for me.

message 13: by Kymm (new)

Kymm | 1747 comments Thinking about reading this book. What does everyone, who's read it think? I'm a historical fiction super fan and am always looking for a great read. Wondering if this is my next read.

gathering feather organiceden | 4075 comments Jumping through timelines can be tricky! The present seems more interesting - I think because I can relate to the culture of it more. Ester is a heroine though and I think she would thrive in the modern era:)

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Just started it today and I am really enjoying the writing style! Also the way the author is not revealing too much at once.

message 16: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Lewis | 13 comments The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish

5 stars, an engaging and very creative read

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 53 comments I found both past and present great reads and gravitated to Esters story more. I like learning about the cultures of the past and this resonated with me. I did enjoy the present too though, just not as much as the past. I loved the book.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments I'm very impressed by the author's gift for description--the details she highlights are very visceral and really transport me inside the characters. I am a quarter of the way in and have no idea where the stories are going, so she's a bit of a mystery writer as well! Very original.

message 19: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt This was probably my best read of 2018. It is very rare that I enjoy both story lines of a dual time period novel equally.

message 20: by Kymm (new)

Kymm | 1747 comments I started this in the middle of December and found it to be too important to just breeze through. I wanted to take the time to really read the book and learn from the words written. Therefore, with all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I set it aside and read a lighter book. I'm now back into The Weight of Ink and I love it. The characters are great, so far and I love the whole premise of the story. Very interesting. Can't wait to finish, just to see what happens!

message 21: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 5 comments Finished and very much enjoyed the book. Not one I think I would have found without this group. Great choice.