Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Dry
This topic is about Dry
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dry [May 8, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Dry - Neal Shusterman.
May 8th.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Started yesterday and I'm already super intrigued! Just got into part two "snapshot 3 of 3: plant manager"

(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments 9)
(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I'll be along shortly... wrapping up some other things right now, but this is on my radar... just started putting together my reads for May the last few days...

BeckysBookshelf | 4 comments I’m definitely up for this one. Just finishing off Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin and this is next on my list! Love Neal Shusterman!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments 21)
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Woah you're early! Wait for us! XD

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I was anticipating this buddy read so much that i couldn't resist starting early haha

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I was anticipating this buddy read so much that i couldn't resist starting early haha"

Haha! I'm so excited too! :D

message 10: by Angela Jr. (last edited May 03, 2019 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just finished and loved it! I'm giving it 4.5 stars.

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments I made a start!

Day 1 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Started yesterday and I'm already super intrigued! Just got into part two "snapshot 3 of 3: plant manager"
.."

I'm really enjoying the snapshots of what's going on in the greater scheme of things too! Love the different perspectives.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments 16) (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "21)

I like that too! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments About to start, I'm excited!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Charlie wrote: "About to start, I'm excited!"

Yay!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments 29) (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Just started... listened to the first 2 POVs... glad I live where water is of little concern...

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Started yesterday and I'm already super intrigued! Just got into part two "snapshot 3 of 3: plant manager"

I'm loving the little snapshots we get to see. They paint a more complete picture of the..."

Agreed on all fronts... that snapshot sequence (view spoiler)

message 20: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 10, 2019 03:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Wait... chess boxing is real?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_b...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5TQ...

Rules

A chessboxing fight consists of 11 rounds, 6 rounds of chess and 5 rounds of boxing, and a victory in either chess or boxing wins and ends the entire contest. Chess and boxing rounds alternate, a full-distance contest begins and ends with a round of chess. Each round lasts three minutes, regardless of whether it involves chess or boxing. A single chess game is played over the six chess rounds.

These total 18 minutes; each player is subject to a time control of 9 minutes with no increment to make all their moves (blitz chess). After each chess round, the exact setup is digitally recorded and then repositioned before the following chess round. The breaks between the chess and boxing rounds usually last 60 seconds. The duration of the rounds and overall fight time in amateur chessboxing fights can change to some degree, as in for example youth tournaments and exhibition fights.

Decisions

A chessboxing match can end by any of the following:

Victory by knockout or technical knockout in boxing

Victory by checkmate in chess

Loss due to exceeding the chess game's time control

Victory due to disqualification of his or her opponent by the referee e.g. due to inactivity due to overextended playing time (chess or boxing rounds following multiple warnings). (This rule prevents a player who is in an obviously lost position in one arena from stalling in order to attempt to win in the other.)

Loss by resignation (chess or boxing rounds)

In the case that neither of the chessboxers win in regulation time and the chess game ends in a draw, the fighter who is ahead on boxing points wins the overall bout. In case the scoreboard is also tied, the fighter that used the black chess pieces will be named the winner. (This has not yet occurred in practice.)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Lol i thought the author made that up to make kelton more quirky. That's crazy. I watched the video you linked and while it all looks very professional, i still can't quite believe that's actually a thing xD

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments the wiki says it started as an art piece in the late 90s / early 2000s, with a couple references as far back as the 1970s, then Germany made it a thing around 2003... it's grown over time across Europe and the world... still seems like a niche sport...

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "21) :("

They do a great job of humanizing (almost) everyone...

message 24: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 10, 2019 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Just finished and loved it! I'm giving it 4.5 stars..."

(view spoiler)

Definitely hard to read at times... overall great books...

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Siobhan wrote: "16) ..."

That's what makes it so hard to read, at times...

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Siobhan wrote: "29) [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "29) [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly!! Think she needs to get her priorities straight XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "the wiki says it started as an art piece in the late 90s / early 2000s, with a couple references as far back as the 1970s, then Germany made it a thing around 2003... it's grown over time across Eu..."

For some reason or another I'd actually heard of chess boxing already! Never really thought about how it would go down though! 😅

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments Siobhan wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "29) [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly!! Think she needs to get her priorities straight XD"

I think she ate crow when Henry's comeuppance arrived...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "29) [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly!! Think she needs to get her priorities straight XD"

I think she ate crow when Henry's c..."

Ooh I don't have long to go to see, only about 90 pages left!

message 31: by Siobhan (last edited May 10, 2019 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Just finished and loved it! I'm giving it 4.5 stars..."
p..."

Finished!

I liked the (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments They really doubled down on referring to them as water zombies as the story progressed...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Just started and read 83 pages in one go, part 1 complete! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Charlie wrote: "Just started and read 83 pages in one go, part 1 complete! [spoilers removed]"

Doesn't it suck you in so quickly! :D (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I thought it was stupid later (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I thought it was stupid later [spoilers removed]"

That's a good point! Also (view spoiler) (Ending spoilers)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm an idiot. I've just clicked on spoilers. Trying to delete them from my brain!!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm an idiot. I've just clicked on spoilers. Trying to delete them from my brain!!"

My reply to you was safe! :)

message 39: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 11, 2019 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16633 comments I think it was my fault, with the vague "later" spoiler... which is from towards the end of the book, around 80-90%...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Don't worry Charlie or Iain. Whatever you read Charlie won't affect your enjoyment, it's just one of those books! ❤️

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "9)
[spoilers removed]"

I'm getting worried now! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Charlie wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "9)
[spoilers removed]"

I'm getting worried now! .."

Oh yeah I totally feel that!!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Up to chapter 44 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7740 comments Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 44 .."

You're so close to finding out! XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm finished! I was super satisfied with the ending. I thought the entire book was superb honestly though I was super thirsty reading it.

BeckysBookshelf | 4 comments A little late to the party but I’m now up to Part Three. Very engaging so far, and just a little bit terrifying!!!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments BeckysBookshelf wrote: "A little late to the party but I’m now up to Part Three. Very engaging so far, and just a little bit terrifying!!!"

It really is scary! I was thinking about it all yesterday and how I should start keeping emergency water in the pantry.

BeckysBookshelf | 4 comments Ok, just reached part 4. I couldn’t make my mind up about Henry but after that last part I can see how manipulative and calculating a character he is!! Interested to see where this is all going to end!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments BeckysBookshelf wrote: "Ok, just reached part 4. I couldn’t make my mind up about Henry but after that last part I can see how manipulative and calculating a character he is!! Interested to see where this is all going to ..."

Henry was such a good character. Disaster strikes and he's the perfect opportunist. I wouldn't like to meet him in real life but I really enjoyed reading about him.