Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Thunderhead [Mar 8, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Thunderhead - Neal Shusterman.
March 8th.

message 2: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I'm going to need to read Scythe to join this... I kinda meant everything BUT this, when I said I was up for all the standalones :D... oops...

I'll try and read Scythe in February, and hopefully others interested in Thunderhead will appear if I don't arrive on time...

message 3: by Angela Jr. (last edited Dec 02, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Yes, i know ;) I put it for march because gentleman's guide is on the 15th already (set it up with katherine, i think), so there's another one from the list for the month

message 4: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Charlie and siobhan were interested in thunderhead.

message 5: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Charlie and siobhan were interested in thunderhead."

the BR invite thread has been moving so fast that I missed some comments...

message 6: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments There's been a lot going on there for the last two days 😂

message 7: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "There's been a lot going on there for the last two days 😂"

I started a trend... took advantage of a light calendar for 2019 and gave people ideas :)

I generally hide the BR invite thread from my notifications, because I'm addicted to signing up for things...

message 8: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Good idea! Maybe i should do that too... I already signed up for way too many things for next year.

message 9: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Good idea! Maybe i should do that too... I already signed up for way too many things for next year."

It's a good habit... generally, the Master Buddy Read list is jam-packed, and just checking it at the beginning of each month can fill up your BR list with things you want to read, without going to the invite thread to suggest more (or agree to more, causing them to be added to the list)...

This past year, tho, I think more and more people have adopted my habit of avoiding the Invite thread, so 2019 is/was still light (that and we spent 10 months going point-crazy with the competition)...

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments Read Scythe this month, and interested in joining in this one.

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments I'm in! :)

message 12: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments So excited for this one! The ending to Scythe was fantastic so this one should jump right into the action.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments Looking at some of the reviews however, I'm a little scared about where this one might leave off. Looks like it'll be a cliffhanger 'til the third book is published.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to read Scythe first. I have a few books already planned at the end of January-February, so if I'm making good time, I'll join

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Aw I thought it was a duology!

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I'm going to need to read Scythe to join this... I kinda meant everything BUT this, when I said I was up for all the standalones :D... oops...

I'll try and read Scythe in February, and hopefully o..."

They're both fast and enjoyable reads. There's some plot holes and a few things that drove me nuts but I like his writing style and it's a fun if a little dark series.

message 17: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Charlie wrote: "So excited for this one! The ending to Scythe was fantastic so this one should jump right into the action."

i know right! it was so hard to not continue immediately.

message 18: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I just read Scythe, and I'm probably going to start this early... as soon as March arrives, early...

message 19: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments After a bunch of searching, looks like we only have to wait 6 months for the last book... The Toll is due on September 3rd, according to Amazon...

message 20: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Yay, glad you liked it!

That's cool, i didn't know it was being published this year. I'll definitely have to read a synopsis of scythe to remind myself what happened, before diving into this one...

message 21: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Yay, glad you liked it!

That's cool, i didn't know it was being published this year. I'll definitely have to read a synopsis of scythe to remind myself what happened, before diving into this one..."

Yea... it's one of those books where you think you know the plot for the trilogy, and then the first book derails those ideas by resolving them...

message 22: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments I'll have to read a recap too!
Excited for this one :D

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "After a bunch of searching, looks like we only have to wait 6 months for the last book... The Toll is due on September 3rd, according to Amazon..."

Oh, that would be great! :)

message 24: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 328 comments I’m going to join as I’m going to read it for book club

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments I'm in, but maybe a bit late.

message 26: by jess (new)

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments I gave Scythe 3.5 stars. I want to read this, but dont think I will have the time to BR it with you!

Btw, I also have turned off notifications for Buddy Read Invite thread. I check the Master List if Im looking for something...

message 27: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments I've managed to start reading just in time. I'm somewhere at Ch13 and don't like the second book as much as the first one. The Scythe develops fast, unpredictable, in a way you just can't stop reading. But the second book lacks those things so far. Maybe later it'll become more interesting and captivating. But right now I'm literally struggling through pages ;(

message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 15: definitely a fast read like book one

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Wow you guys are flying through! :)

I'm probably going to be a few days late, need to finish at least one book I'm currently reading haha.

message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Jess wrote: "I gave Scythe 3.5 stars. I want to read this, but dont think I will have the time to BR it with you!

Btw, I also have turned off notifications for Buddy Read Invite thread. I check the Master List..."

So much this... I sign up for plenty of BRs without getting more added on to the schedule... I make an exception for new releases...

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Until beginning of chapter 30

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 15: ..."

This book is like 2 books in 1... Greyson is practically in a different genre of book, versus the rest of the characters... very interesting, tho... and the book is flying by...

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. This was great!
I can't really form any coherent thoughts in this right now 🤯

I need book 3 NOW!

message 34: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Bea wrote: "Finished. This was great!

I need book 3 NOW!"

Yea... I kinda hate you guys for making me read this before The Toll released, right now... that ending was great/epic/game-changing... and ripe for being made into a movie...

message 35: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Bea wrote: "Finished. This was great!

I need book 3 NOW!"

Yea... I kinda hate you guys for making me read this before [book:The Toll|..."

Weell nobody forced you 😎

But I feel you.

Btw. I just now managed to remember why the name
Ayn Rand seemed so familiar 😅

message 36: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Angela & Charlie, have either of you started yet? I'm gonna make a start tomorrow as I've just been finishing some other things this weekend.

I'm very encouraged by your desperation for book 3, Bea and Iain! :D

message 37: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Part 1 finished, not much to say yet but just checking in! :)

message 38: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments I finished reading a couple of days ago, but couldn't write the review for some reasons :D
So till the very end it was something about 3.5 stars, but the ending made it solid 4 for me.
And I'm also waiting for the next book. Oh I'm glad I have more books to read, otherwise I couldn't wait to read the 3rd one in the series.

message 39: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Chapter 18 - (view spoiler)

message 40: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I found Grayson's chapters so interesting... very different from the Scythedom main story...

message 41: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I found Grayson's chapters so interesting... very different from the Scythedom main story..."

Yes, I liked them, too!

message 42: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Yes! It's definitely an interesting diversion.

message 43: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I'm starting this now! I'll be back later to post my thoughts.

message 44: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'll start Monday :)

message 45: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'll start Monday :)"

About time! :p

message 46: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Yay! I'm putting it down til Monday. :)

message 47: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments I've just read 85 pages in one go, I'm loving it. I'm only 8 chapters in but so far it's just as good as the last book, so glad to be back in this world. There's just something about he writing that's so easy to read. I should go to bed now since I'm so tired but I'm likely going to stay up and read some more of this!

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4432 comments Page 157/ end of chapter 14. I'm seriously flying through this. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Charlie wrote: "I've just read 85 pages in one go, I'm loving it. I'm only 8 chapters in but so far it's just as good as the last book, so glad to be back in this world. There's just something about he writing tha..."

I love the pages from the Thunderhead too, Charlie. Strangely probably my favourite bit!

Agree with everything you said!!

message 50: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Chapter 21 - (view spoiler)

« previous 1