Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Which road to take?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Callaghan (tinacallaghan) Hi folks. It's great to be here. I've been writing and publishing horror and supernatural thrillers for adults and YA. For my third novel, I'm thinking either Paranormal romance or urban fantasy. The characters are starting to talk to me, but I'm not sure which way to take the story. I have read more paranormal romance than urban fantasy but I love writing action. I'd appreciate a discussion. Thank you!

message 2: by T.M. (new)

T.M. Hart | 20 comments In my humble opinion, I would say don't restrict your writing to fit within the confines of one particular genre. Instead, write the best possible novel you can. Something that is amazing and exhilarating. A story that takes your breath away. Something that you would love to read.

Once you do that, then you'll know the genre(s) of your novel.

I've read tons of PNR with thrilling action, as well as UF that has strong steamy romance. I don't think you have to choose between one or the other.

And if you are uncertain which way to take your characters, try out the different avenues. Begin to write several different stories. It won't be long before you find there is one version (and narration POV) you like the best.

Good luck with your writing!!! Hope you get lost in something fantastic!!

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 362 comments I agree with TM. Go with the flow and see where the story and the characters take you, rather than the other way round. Good luck and happy writing :-)