Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Best Served Cold
This topic is about Best Served Cold
Abercrombie - Various > Best Served Cold [Jul 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
July 5th.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Spot

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Spot!

Seán | 602 comments Should be good for this - I'm really looking forward to returning to the world :)

Shaitarn | 1863 comments I'm going to do a binge re-read of the first trilogy in time for this one!

James (aeos) In

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments This was my first full review on Goodreads.

Brian | 890 comments Excited for this one!!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Mayim wrote: "This was my first full review on Goodreads."

Three stars? Interesting :D

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Silvana wrote: "Mayim wrote: "This was my first full review on Goodreads."

Three stars? Interesting :D"

I think my expectations were exorbitant as this was my first Abercrombie. ;)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments I'll be starting this in a few days, just need to finish 1.5 books

James (aeos) finished part 1, pretty slow start

character refreshers (first trilogy spoilers):

cosca: glokta's sellsword

shivers: northman who wanted revenge on logen (view spoiler)

grand duke orso: father of terez (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments I think the opening chapter, Benna Murcatto saves a life, was awesome. Can't wait to meet Friendly again in a a few pages.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Except for James and I, anyone else reading this?

20% now and I can't believe I forgot about the delightful Morveer and his apprentice, Day.

Enjoying the heist parts.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Except for James and I, anyone else reading this?

20% now and I can't believe I forgot about the delightful Morveer and his apprentice, Day.

Enjoying the heist parts.

James (aeos) Finished. Probably stopping the series here, until the new trilogy is out. Good luck with the rest of your reading Silvana and co!

(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I am about 20% in... Just to the part where they recruited Morveer and Day and are entering the city. The beginning was absolutely brutal! I was tortured as a 16 year old and this definitely triggered some PTSD... I got over it and I continued... Have to say, JA sure does a great job at describing pain. I also wonder why this particular episode of the series triggered me and not any of the first trilogy... Maybe because it was from her point of view, when she was going through the fall and the rest... Nevermind, just thinking:-)

I actually connected with Monza right away and I care about what will happen with Shivers. I hope it is not just a dead end for him... I don't know why, but I want him to be happy. He was trying so hard to become a better person. I don't really care about anyone else getting a happy ending, but for some reason I really want him to do so... I guess I am setting myself up for a big dissapointment...

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments The eye!!! Why??? Maaaaan, this is a big mess... I am not sure they will survive to see the vengeance... This is going to make Shivers really unstable, I am guessing...

Have we met Shanks before?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Shanks as is Shanka? We met them since The Blade Itself.

Choko wrote: "I am about 20% in... Just to the part where they recruited Morveer and Day and are entering the city. The beginning was absolutely brutal! I was tortured as a 16 year old and this definitely trigge..."

Choko, I am sorry to hear that but I am glad you are well now. Thank you for sharing that insight.

I am so swamped with BRs right now, I only got to 21% and really amused when (view spoiler)

message 20: by Silvana (last edited Jul 14, 2019 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments 25% now

I love how we got the backstory when (view spoiler)

Spoiler for those who have not read Red Country
(view spoiler)

Speaking of old acquiantances
(view spoiler)

Absolutely enjoyed these chapters
The Arts of Persuasion
The Life of a Drinker.

Both could make very good short stories.
I seem to remember that the Sipani part was indeed my fave.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I I really love reading all of his characters, but you are right, there is something very lovable about Cosca! I love Vitari, but I hate Benna! He was a weak and willful bastard! I hate that most things people hate Monza for, Benna was actually responsible for. But I also hate how she coddled him and at the end, she enabled him to keep on being an ass , so it is her fault too.

I love the way JA immerges us in this world, without a ton of info dumps, just through mentions as we are going, but you feel like you are there, it is brilliant! And the way he uses the small things to make big points on the characters, that is just some good writing! I am so glad we are reading this!!!

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Silvana, oooo, you are so sweet, thank you! It has been so long ago, but I wake up every day in pain, and this is the biggest connection I felt with Glokta's character - you go on despite of the pain, but it is always there, limiting your life and choices... I wonder how he has such insite into the life of a person in such chronic pain... He writes about it in a very real way!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Choko wrote: "I I really love reading all of his characters, but you are right, there is something very lovable about Cosca! I love Vitari, but I hate Benna! He was a weak and willful bastard! I hate that most t..."

I have forgotten most about Benna and Monza so I am looking forward to those parts. But then, Monza's weakness toward her brother is definitely one of the things that contributes to her imperfection, and I liked that she was broken but still have that flame in her.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments The brothel scene, oh my.

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments Choko, did you mean Shenkt? No, this is the first time we saw him. He did have an interesting background.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Yep, Shenkt... He seems like someone we should know, but I just can't figure out who... And Friendly - I adore him!!! That brothel scene was awesome!!!

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I really feel bad about Shivers... this just sucks, the way he came to town with stars in his eyes, only to keep on sliding into misery... My heart breaks for him. Monza on the other hand, I love her strength, despite all of her horrible flaws... She is a perfect combination of complexity and contradictions.... I really love reading her parts!

Shaitarn | 1863 comments I was hoping to join this one, but I'm still reading the first trilogy. I should be able to join the next one!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1767 comments I finished my reread and am happy to announce that I still give the book five stars. Monza was even more broken than I thought! And Cosca, oh he was still a joy to read.

message 30: by Zaara (last edited Feb 14, 2020 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaara | 4153 comments .

Bumping to the top of the folder Q

Chris  (haughtc) | 1632 comments Zaara wrote: ".

Bumping to the top of the folder Q"

I'm ready

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments Chris and Zaara, are you BReading this now?

Zaara | 4153 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Chris and Zaara, are you BReading this now?"

@10👋 yes we are.
Wanna join?? Kath hinted she may join late too, if poss.

Zaara | 4153 comments Chris wrote: "I'm ready"

Hi :)
I couldn't resist and finished Part 1... don't freak, it is a very short Part 1 + by the time I cycle thru all my outstanding BRs at the rate of two/day and carrive back here, you'll prolly be ahead... I'm sure...

Prologue
(view spoiler)

Why did we wait so long to start a "new" Abercrombie, Chris?

Wonder who from the trilogy will return in this one apart from Cosca who is already mentioned...love that guy btw, he's the only one who can lay Glokta (at least a mild) stymie...
+ we keep giving it to Lynch but Abby's just as good, really, with evoking a sense of place.

Fish out of Water hey...Shivers is here (view spoiler)

Did the chamber in The Bone-Thief give you a Yennefer in the Witcher flash?? Visually only, that scene where Yennefer first learns/gets glimpses about the broader tangles... brw haven't watched any Netflix for almost a month so never progressed with the Witcher... took on so many buddyreads I'm here almost every other night.
And... I went on the First Law wiki and spoiled myself a little abt (view spoiler) but didn't scroll down the page...
Also chapter title reminds me a little of Lincoln Rhyme and Kath Dance, if you like killer thrillers...there's a coupla series I always keep meaning to get bk to... nothing much to say abt the chapter itself.

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments Ooh, I might join for this as well, wanted to read this, this year... Might be next week or week after tho..

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments I'll try to join yes! I keep checking it out of the library but never getting to it... I need some buddies!!!

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments Beena wrote: "Ooh, I might join for this as well, wanted to read this, this year... Might be next week or week after tho.."

Cool!! I'll be slow to start so I'm sure I'll be around for a while 😊

Chris  (haughtc) | 1632 comments I started today. Not quite through part 1 yet.

Yes, i loved seeing Shivers. I like Cosca a lot too (he's like Bronn)

And I see the Yennifer thing..

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments Cool!! I'll be slow to start so I'm sure I'll be around for a while 😊

Great!

message 40: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Feb 19, 2020 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments I read the prologue and am totally on board! (view spoiler)

Great banter and unexpected outcome.

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments Will probably start this tomorrow/next couple of days if anyone's about, been looking forward to this!

message 42: by Zaara (last edited Feb 29, 2020 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaara | 4153 comments Beena wrote: "Will probably start this tomorrow/next couple of days if anyone's about, been looking forward to this!"

All of us are still reading :D I'll have some spoilers the next time I log in.

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments Ah great!

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments I'm working on finishing one of the six "currently reading" books I have going, wtf 🤦, before I start anything else... I'll come back to this tomorrow 😊

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments I'm working on finishing one of the six "currently reading" books I have going, wtf 🤦, before I start anything else... I'll come back to this tomorrow 😊

Lmao! Yay, okay!

Zaara | 4153 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "I'm working on finishing one of the six "currently reading" books I have going, wtf 🤦, before I start anything else... I'll come back to this tomorrow 😊"

Ok then... let's concentrate on this one today.

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments I've started it, agree there's great banter, very funny. I'm liking Monza already, can't wait for her to exact her bloody revenge!

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments I just finished Fish Out of Water @8%

Why did I wait so long to get back to this series???? I luuuurrrvvvvv how Abercrombie writes. I'm getting all the feels! (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 874 comments Through The Safest Place in the World @15%

I'm loving all these characters(view spoiler)

Beena (beenz) | 1187 comments Why did I wait so long to get back to this series???? I luuuurrrvvvvv how Abercrombie writes. I'm getting all the feels!

Agree Laura, I'm starting to really enjoy it! (view spoiler)

Six and One
(view spoiler)

« previous 1