Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
This topic is about Before They Are Hanged
Abercrombie - Various > Before They Are Hanged [May 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
ยซ previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
May 5th.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Next week!

Choko (chokog) | 5292 comments Spot ๐Ÿ™‚

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments in :)

James (aeos) ๐Ÿ‘‹

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I'm just finishing up book 1, and will be here.

Shaitarn | 1884 comments I'll join, if you don't mind - I love this series!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Starting today. Page 26:
Why (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Page 52 (only open spoiler if you have read this book before)
(view spoiler)

James (aeos) Silvana wrote: "Starting today. Page 26:
Why [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

James (aeos) Logen doesn't always look scary (The Thing About Trust):

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Page 52 (only open spoiler if you have read this book before)
[spoilers removed]"

I enjoyed the first book so much, I jumped straight into the second :-) I've just finished and loved it!

Yes: (view spoiler)

James (aeos) Campfire Politics:

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Huh? Where is that, James?

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I am around 50% and enjoying it.
This time more than Glokta's part, Bayaz & Party seems to take the limelight. I am liking Logen and Jazel a bit more than the last book.
(view spoiler)

James (aeos) @Silvana which? In my copy the Logen description is on page 63, Bayaz on 93.

@Pallavi (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I was referring to your shapeshifter comment

message 18: by Silvana (last edited May 08, 2019 09:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Page 173

(view spoiler)

Page 188 don't open this spoiler if you have not read the whole trilogy
(view spoiler)

James (aeos) 52%

(view spoiler)

message 20: by James (last edited May 08, 2019 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

James (aeos) 55%

(view spoiler)

James (aeos) 63%

(view spoiler)

James (aeos) I'm confused about the mythology of this world. Why would there be temples to gods when there's a demon oriented magic system?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Hmm... So you think both are exclusive? A world should have only one?

James (aeos) If people are in the habit of making temples, why aren't there temples to demons, or to Euz and his sons? The only temples we've seen are for gods with the least amount of evidence to their existence.

message 25: by Pallavi (last edited May 08, 2019 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Finished It :)
It was good....
(view spoiler)

James (aeos) done!

(view spoiler)

@Pallavi #2
(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I am moving so slowly! Page 284
(view spoiler)

Jezal (view spoiler)

I am also enjoying Logen and Ferro's interaction now. They were almost like an old married couple.

message 28: by James (last edited May 11, 2019 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

James (aeos) @Silvana Glokta's actions make more sense later in the book: (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Yeah....I guess he was even nicer than I expected.

I finished.had to take off one star from my original rating since I think the book could be shorter, with fewer travelogue. I felt myself getting tired reading it sometimes, especially the West and Logen POVs. I did enjoy Glokta's, Jezal's and *gasp* Ferro's. was bored with Bayaz's storytelling I guess I am not that into the world's mythology. Still a solid read nonetheless with several character development.

Choko (chokog) | 5292 comments I am only up to Ch 11 and already want to personally kill all the nobility... I want Jezal to learn how to be a regular human as soon as possible!!! At this point I just want to smack him over the head ๐Ÿ˜

Elena Granger | 83 comments I wanted to read this book in May, but I believe I could manage to start next month only :( so sad.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I canโ€™t believe I stopped reading after the first book the first time around...

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments A couple of us are reviving this BR thread as we're picking up with book 2.

Started today...

message 34: by Zaara (last edited Jan 07, 2020 03:51AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Chris wrote: "A couple of us are reviving this BR thread as we're picking up with book 2.
Started today..."

I'm here...

1. I like how in this book some secondaries, mainly the Dogman and West (some others) come a bit more into their own. Can always empathise with West's well-meaning/clear thinking but innefectual "stifled by the system" rage.

2. Careful firstime readers...FullSeries Spoiler
Glokta and the Council + first mentions of Spicers Guild
(view spoiler)

3. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ those Sand Dan Glokta italics tho!!
Seems the Dagoskans have done well by joining the Union......
Sh!t I wish I was doing this on audio bcuz I want to hear that (evilness of the) *kick* in "Glokta voice".
Is the narrator good?

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Oh yes, the narrator is fantastic. He has a distinctive snark when doing the Glokta internal dialogue. I've laughed out loud a few times while listening.

I'm almost 5 hours in. Lots of stage setting at this point.

Oh, I also love the way he does Farro. He gets her pissy attitude just right, especially when she spits out "pinks".

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments I've been kinda flying through this. How far are you, Zaara?

message 37: by Zaara (last edited Jan 10, 2020 10:45AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Chris wrote: "I've been kinda flying through this. How far are you, Zaara?"

Hi Lann :) I'm here. The notifications were broken for everyone (and then restarted in a flood apparemtly as Narilka were saying) but I DID reply you on my tracker the last time I was on. When I tried to get in the website didn't even load over here so (after trying couple times) I just left the site alone for a day or two.

Oh!! I rushed on the Mage's Bloof on audio (1.75x) seeing as how our Scarlet Tides BR starts tonight...you are restarting that for the points, yes? Or (according to rules) it won't count even if you read the full book...๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ˜ง just a thought...

On this one I'm (eyeballing it) about a third thru...just started the chapter name Fear...I think Ghost somewhere tabulated the chapter numbers for everyome but I can't be stuffed to find that post.

33%

1. The River Aos scene is one of my favourites in the trilogy so it was cool to reread that...Long Shadows is one of my fave chapters in the series because of the geography/archeology/Lara Croftiness of it all...also reminds me of Ozymandias (the famous poem) and Malazan 2 (view spoiler) in DG.

2. Always nice to spend time inside Logen 9โƒฃโœŒ๏ธ's mind...espxcially when he is totally nomplussed by Ferro and the Navigator...
Navigator: A marked odour of sweat but that just might just be your armpit... ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜œ
And Ferro (I think this was when she was stitching up the Pink): You have to look far and wide to find anyone less beautiful than the big nine-fingered bastard.
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜ everytime he tries to talk to her and she literally crushes him... ๐Ÿ˜‚ poor Logen!! She just can't dissemble tho, Ferro.........

3. Bayaz and the sudden "comes from nowhere" thundering rages...they're terrifying actually :/ as are his psychotic changes of heart and persona.

message 38: by Zaara (last edited Jan 10, 2020 10:48AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments 40%

4. Love when Glokta meets his match in sarcasm...he is always crushing ppl like Vurms n their ilk...BUT did you see whenever Glokta is with people he trusts/likes/respecta
S the italics grow drastically LESS? Because he just "shares" more...it's what makes his scenes with Kahdia (the native priest) stand out so much. Even Nicomo (the mercenary).
Btw I loved what you said about the narration...made me go on YouTube just to listen for a bit...I had no qualms about this because I own the series both in print (cheap paperback copy and the box set) AND also in ebook...but sometimes you just can't beat what you get out of the visuals/words on the page!

5. Also Abercrombie and the sex/"anatomical" discussions...(view spoiler)
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ช NOBODY CAN DO THIS (and get away with) XEPT LORD GRIMDARK!!

Where have you gotten? Thoughts changing much on reread? Mine aren't...I'm just seeing the nuances/big picture so much more clearly + enjoying all the snark & Glokta-ness.
+ Also...just..........glad you're in a much happier mood, Chris........๐Ÿ™Œ
I โค๏ธ how you're always laughing nowadays!

EDIT None of the above are plot points...just general feels, since its a reread for us....I haven't gone overboard with spoilertags, xept where necessary.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Yes, the strengthening relationships between the main characters is what makes this book stand out. I love the banter between them. Bayaz is pretty scary... I keep picturing him as Anthony Hopkins the way the narrator does him.

I'm on the No Good For Each Other chapter in Part II (view spoiler)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Finished! Damn, still two loads of laundry to finish lol

Kathrine | 1246 comments Ohhhh I never got farther than the first book last year so I'm really tempted to join you guys! :D Are you continuing with the third book afterwards?

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Definitely. The plan is to go to the stand-alones too and eventually get to A Little Hatred.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "Definitely. The plan is to go to the stand-alones too and eventually get to A Little Hatred."

Perfect! I've got the third book on my shelf and would love to continue with the stand-alones and the new trilogy as well :D

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Awesome, great to have you :)

message 45: by Zaara (last edited Jan 13, 2020 01:46AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Kathrine wrote: "Perfect! I've got the third book on my shelf and would love to continue with the stand-a..."

Hi Kathrine! Welcome aboard and we are definitely going to do the standalones.
:))

message 46: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments @Lann...sorry, didn't cut and run...death in the fam, had to make a quick 2-day visit. She was very old and barely there....needed all-round care, it was prolly more a relief to that branch of the family than anything. She was a martinet tho, when she was all there!

60-70% and this is still one of the best middle books in any series I've encountered...yea it is a journey book n all...but say one thing for Mark Lawrence, say that the middle books in his first two trilogies didn't equal the rest...

(view spoiler)

You must've finished this by now......

Kathrine | 1246 comments Thank you both for letting me join :D

I'm a bit behind but I'll try to catch up as soon as possible!

Chapter "The Great Leveller" to "Questions" (9%): (view spoiler)

message 48: by Zaara (last edited Jan 13, 2020 02:20AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments No worries, Kath. We will still be here to chat with you...ppl in this group are great at coming back that way, no thread is ever fully ghostfree...๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

EDIT re your spoiler.....eeeeeeep the urge to reply to this....*bites tongue*

Kathrine | 1246 comments Zaara wrote: "No worries, Kath. We will still be here to chat with you...ppl in this group are great at coming back that way, no thread is ever fully ghostfree...๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

EDIT re your spoiler.....eeeeeeep the urge t..."

Yay :D

And also.... I'm getting scared from your comment xD Please let my boy Glokta have some happiness... :(

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments Zaara wrote: "@Lann...sorry, didn't cut and run...death in the fam, had to make a quick 2-day visit. She was very old and barely there....needed all-round care, it was prolly more a relief to that branch of the ..."

Awww, so sorry to hear that, Zaara. It's still tough, even with all of that. It was much the same when my grandmother died...

Yes, I finished. Downloaded LAoK yesterday.

Agreed on Ladisla.

Good deal, Kathrine :)

ยซ previous 1