The Classics discussion

September Book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (last edited Aug 19, 2009 08:11PM) (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
It's time to choose a book for September. I don't know about you but I'm getting behind on my reading. The random number generator has chosen 24, 3, 11 & 44. To see what books these numbers correspond to, you'll have to click here to go to the polls and vote.

message 2: by Selina (new)

Selina (selinatng) | 9 comments I am also behind in my readings.
As of now, the book that is leading for September poll is a long novel. If most members of this group need some time to catch up, can we extend the time for Moonstone to 1.5 month, and also allow 1.5 month for the September book? 1.5 is just a random number that comes out of my head. Feel free to suggest other time frame.

message 3: by theduckthief (new)

Feel free to discuss the books for as long as want. The designated month is just a suggestion.

If you want to know the truth I'm still slogging through Les Miserables and I'm pretty sure that was our February book.

message 4: by Selina (new)

Selina (selinatng) | 9 comments Oh dear ! I thought the first book was "Brideshead Revisited" !! At your mention of February's book, I looked around more carefully and I found the earlier topics ! I'm afraid I can't catch up with all the earlier readings, and I will try to cover these two months' books.

message 5: by Everyman (new)

Everyman theduckthief wrote: "If you want to know the truth I'm still slogging through Les Miserables and I'm pretty sure that wasIf you want to know the truth I'm still slogging through Les Miserables and I'm pretty sure that was our February book. "

You may be in luck. Les Mis is at this point the leading candidate for the September-October read for the Classics and the Western Canon group. You may finish it just in time to be a major participant in that discussion!

message 6: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Hi! I just joined and am looking forward to reading together. I'm trying to expand my reading to include the classics . I just finished Age of Innocennce by Edith Wharton with another group( amazing story) and am now reading Great Expectations.

Lori :)

message 7: by theduckthief (new)

Selina don't worry about catching up on our earlier books. Right now I['m more worried about The Moonstone. That book is huge and I've only just started.

Thanks Everyman. I try to read 50 odd pages here and there when I get a chance. I'm convinced I'll finish the book sometime this year *crossed fingers*

Welcome to the group Lori!

message 8: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Thanks Duckthief

Do we have a read scheduled for Sept?

message 9: by theduckthief (new)

Yup. The majority of the votes went for Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot". We start Sep 1. I can't wait as I've never read him before!

message 10: by Lorifog (new)

Lorifog Cool, thanks DT!

I'll be headed to the library today so I'll be sure to pick that one up and get started.