The F-word discussion

BOOK DISCUSSIONS > Anyone read Ella Whelan's What Women Want: Fun, Freedom and an End to Feminism

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:34AM) (new)

Tim Regan (dumbledad) | 22 comments I've been watching with horror the radical feminists being thrown off twitter because they question what constitutes being a woman. Meghan Murphy who runs the Feminist Current website is one of them. Spiked Online recently ran an article about her banning (here). The article is written by Ella Whelan who also wrote What Women Want: Fun, Freedom and an End to Feminism. Has anyone read it? What's it like? The title puts me off but I am interested in the debate between the women-are-always-victims feminism and the (more old-fashioned?) women-have-agency feminism of, say, Chrissie Hynde and Camille Paglia.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
I haven't read the book, so can't say myself. But based on the reviews available on Goodreads, I feel confident in saying I have very little interest in reading it.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) | 375 comments Mod
Honestly, just reading the linked article gave me the impression that the author is inciteful. Not to be confused with insightful.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Regan (dumbledad) | 22 comments Thanks both. I've done some digging and from the reviews this one might be a more thoughtful way into reading the opposing viewpoint Women vs Feminism: Why We All Need Liberating from the Gender Wars