This topic is about Revolutionary Road
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - December 2018 - Revolutionary Road

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
This is the thread for discussion for the fiction book of the month. Let

Things to consider:

1. Were you hooked immediately by the book or did it take a while to get into?
2. Did you like the plot?
3. Did the characters drive the plot or were they just passengers?
4. Did it come across as a credible story?
5. Did you connect to any of the characters in the story
6. Did you like the ending?
7. Did you have any quote or lines that stood out for you?
8. Would you read any other titles by this author?

Charlie Miller | 23 comments well I've just finished it, hope you guys enjoy. I would certainly read more by Yates. Hope to hear from people a discuss more over the next week

Charlie Miller | 23 comments What a brutal ending.. Some great social commentary of the 50s. I feel like I have taken onboard a lot of the decade's character, both in terms of pep and ennui

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments I am about to start reading this and have high hopes. Have just finished an awful book and need to restore my faith in books

message 5: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
I have reserved it from the library

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments I had to finish another book and so am returning to this today

I am really enjoying this to the point that dinner is a jacket potato because I can cook that and read it at the same time.

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments 1. Were you hooked immediately by the book or did it take a while to get into?
I got into it straight away. I knew a little about the story already and wanted to get to the heart of the book and the theme of dissatisfaction with your life which struck home with me.

2. Did you like the plot?
Yes, I appreciated the balance of hugely dramatic events with just the mundanity of life.

3. Did the characters drive the plot or were they just passengers?
I think the characters drove the plot, especially Frank.

4. Did it come across as a credible story?
Yes, I imagine all of us can relate to the characters in some way. I have been fortunate not to have experienced some of the more dramatic events in the novel but I many of us have fallen out of love with a partner, have experienced the drudge of parenting young children and in particular I identified with the restlessness in the book - that feeling that you thought you could have achieved more.

5. Did you connect to any of the characters in the story
I identified with the restlessness of Frank and April, I hope that I am nicer person than both of them but they both definitely had elements that I identified with..
I did absolutely loathe Frank, he was not an unbelievable cartoon character baddy but he was an awful man, continually gaslighting April with the morals of an alley cat.
I also am a huge sufferer of social awkwardness and could identify with many of the inner dialogues in the book.
I also loved the fact that John the "insane" character was the one who was being straight with people, saying what was clearly true.

6. Did you like the ending?
It is a difficult ending but well written. It was particularly poetic that after a book full of Frank imagining conversations with his wife that he would no longer imagine her voice.

7. Did you have any quote or lines that stood out for you?
When John Givings said "I am glad that I am not going to be that kid". It was cutting and hurtful, once again he was saying what many others thought but would not dare to say.
When April says "Look at us. We're just like everyone else. We've bought into the same, ridiculous delusion."

8. Would you read any other titles by this author
Definitely

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Great review, Nikki. Think I will give this a go when I have a chance. I've seen the film.

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Thanks Lisa. Is the film good? I am thinking of watching it now

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments I watched the film this weekend and really enjoyed it , as good as the book in my opinion