The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 20.4 - Golden Oldies - Lagullande's Task: Everyday Heroes

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4931 comments Mod
20.4 - Golden Oldies - Lagullande's Task: Everyday Heroes
This is a one book task.

Tucked away in London's Postman's Park close to St Paul's Cathedral is the Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice, a memorial to ordinary people who died while saving the lives of others and who might otherwise be forgotten.

Examples include David Selves, aged 12, who in 1886 "Off Woolwich supported his drowning playfellow and sank with him clasped in his arms", and Daniel Pemberton, aged 61 railway foreman, who in 1903 "Surprised by a train when gauging the line hurled his mate out of the track saving his life at the cost of his own."

Anyone of us could find ourselves in a moment of emergency like this. So let's remember them.

The everyday heroes on the memorial gave up their lives between 1863 and and 1927, with one more in 2007.

OPTION 1: Read a book first published between 1863 and 1927 (this is the Golden Oldies task, after all).

OPTION 2: Read a book that is at least 350 pages long and that was first published in 2007.

message 2: by Lagullande (last edited Dec 02, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments If you want to see the Memorial or read about those who appear there, here is the link -> Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice

message 3: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Reserved

message 4: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Reserved

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4931 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Is this a one-book or a two-book task?

message 7: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Suzanne wrote: "Is this a one-book or a two-book task?"

Hi Suzanne. It's a one-book task. Choose one from the two options. I will ask the Mods to clarify the wording. Sorry.

message 8: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2571 comments just checking the length is only fixed at over 350 pages for option 2

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16195 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Is this a one-book or a two-book task?"

Please read the FAQs. They give you the default rules - it is just not possible (or desirable) to repeat every rule and default rule in every task.

message 10: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "just checking the length is only fixed at over 350 pages for option 2"

Correct.

message 11: by Laure (last edited Jan 31, 2019 10:48AM) (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 474 comments I have a bit of a problem with my chosen 'Golden Oldie' for the task.
It's The Trembling of the Veil by WB Yeats.
I found on the internet that the book was first published in 1922, which would make sense, but on Goodreads it is said to have been first published in 2009, which does not.
Can I still use it for this task? Thanks. :)

message 12: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Laure wrote: "I have a bit of a problem with my chosen 'Golden Oldie' for the task.
I found on the internet that the book was first published in 1922, w..."

Hi Laure. It appears that 1,000 copies of this book were privately printed for subscribers only in 1922 (www.archive.org).

I can see several other references online to 1922 as well.

So to my mind, that would seem to meet the requirements of the task. (I will leave you to check that none of the general SRC rules contradicts this, and whether it's worth asking a Librarian to correct the GR record).

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17870 comments Mod
Lagullande wrote: "(I will leave you to check that none of the general SRC rules contradicts this, and whether it's worth asking a Librarian to correct the GR record). "

If information in a Goodreads record is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask a Goodreads librarian to update the record if possible. Information required for a task should be corrected before you post.

message 14: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 474 comments Lagullande wrote: "Laure wrote: "I have a bit of a problem with my chosen 'Golden Oldie' for the task.
I found on the internet that the book was first publis..."

Thanks you so much for looking into it. I'll get a Librarian to change it (if possible).