The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Secret Santa 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (last edited Dec 02, 2018 01:13AM) (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Hello, welcome to the Secret Santa "Book Suggestion Edition" 2018!

This is our NABCC Secret Santa Edition that doesn't cost us money and doesn't involve parcels being sent. That way everyone can participate even if you're living far away or are on a budget.

This is how it works:

1. You sign up until Dec 15 by commenting below.

2. You make a shelf with books you would like to read, but haven't quite gotten to yet, and name it NABCC Secret Santa. (This can be books you'd be willing to purchase or borrow, as well as books you already own). It should be around 10 books, but you can always put more.

3. Your names will go into a hat, and I will hold a lottery so that everyone gets another person's name.

4. You will be given a name of another participant. Take a look at their NABCC Secret Santa shelf and choose a book for them to read.

5. You message ME the name of the book you chose for your person, and a short message why you think they should reads this particular book. (Because it's a great read, or because it matches their current reads, or.. or.. or...)
Don't message the person!

5. Once everyone has done that, I'll post everyone's book suggestion with the reason why they should read this book.

6. You then read the book you got and let us know whether you liked it or not, or even post a review if you like.

Happy book suggesting!

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
I'm in. I'll send a group message like I did last year the next time I get on my computer.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm in too. It took me awhile to get to my book last year, but it was one of my most satisfying reads.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Dec 02, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Here's my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Once again I picked a bunch of stuff from my owned and unread shelf that I keep passing over in favor of buying new books.

I ended up with 14 instead of 10, but close enough.

Looking forward to it. Thanks again for organizing Kat!

Suzanne will you be to doing the picks for Kat again this year?

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Sure! I'll gather everyone's votes and message Kat her pick.

message 7: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 383 comments I'm in

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Me too. Will add my list later.

message 9: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 383 comments I'm in. I'll post the list after I've gathered it

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 482 comments I am in again. Will do my new shelf soon.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark | 482 comments Mark wrote: "I am in again. Will do my new shelf soon."

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Tina LoCasto (new)

Tina LoCasto | 19 comments I’m in. Gotta skulk some good books. Last year I added things you all suggested as well and it was the discovery of a new series.

message 13: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 02, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Here is my shelf. Wow - I'm going to die before I ever read all the books I'd like to read. What a nice problem to have :)

Edited to actually include shelf.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Here is my shelf. Wow - I'm going to die before I ever read all the books I'd like to read. What a nice problem to have :)"

I think you forgot this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Haha oops - shades of "the paper is attached..." Thanks Rob!

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Haha oops - shades of "the paper is attached..." Thanks Rob!"

No problem. I did it myself. If you look at mine, you'll see I edited it almost immediately after posting :)

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Well then at least I'm in good company :)

message 19: by Liam (new)

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 383 comments Here's my secret Santa list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 20: by Teresa (last edited Dec 03, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

Teresa | 4 comments Since there is so much to read I'll take all the help I can get to choose the next book I'm also in. And it looks like fun :)

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Kat (last edited Dec 03, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Kat | 1177 comments So many people already! Yey!

And thank you Rob for the message :-)

message 22: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Kat wrote: "So many people already! Yey!

And thank you Rob for the message :-)"

You're welcome

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2 comments Oh, I'd love to join :)

My list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 24: by Tina LoCasto (new)

Tina LoCasto | 19 comments Ok. My list. Check out my nabcc-secret-santa-2018 books https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Cooool :-)

message 26: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Kat wrote: "Cooool :-)"

Where's your list? Slacker..

message 27: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 629 comments Yep

message 28: by Ctgt (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Ctgt | 629 comments Here it is

nabcc-ss-2018

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Rob wrote: "Where's your list? Slacker.."

I couldn't decide on 10 yet. I'll get there.

message 30: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Lol

message 31: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Hey everyone,

you will get a message with your chosen person and instructions from me soon.

Exciting!

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Great! And everyone remember to mail me your pick for Kat =)

message 33: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Great! And everyone remember to mail me your pick for Kat =)"

Just as soon as she makes/links us her options!

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh yeah! *cough* Kat - better give us some options! You don't want to be on the naughty list.

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Ok, running really late, but I'll send out your Secret Santa persons shortly!

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments You have all received your messages now, and I hope you have fun choosing a book for your person!

In Germany we celebrate Christmas on the 24th already, so I will post the results when I get home late at night. For a number of you this will be still in time for Christmas morning on the 25th, but I apologise in advance to anyone in Australia :-)

message 37: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Thanks again for organizing Kat.

Everyone else don't forget to message Suzanne with your pick for Kat!

message 38: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Ho, Ho, Ho,

Your Secret Santas have made their choices!

In signing-up order (because that's how I wrote my list) here are your Christmas Picks!

Rob:
For Rob, I'm choosing Watership Down. I see he has it on audio, which I think is easier for him, and I feel like that is a classic that everyone should read. Plus I personally loved it.

Suzanne:
For Suzanne I picked Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. It’s a fun book and since she plays WoW she should get the D&D references.

Liam:
For Liam, I am going with All Systems Red. The whole series has been great and it's time for Liam to join the Murderbot fun!

Bill:
Oh good, I already had picked out one for him. lol
Fool's Errand because he should catch up on Robin Hobb.

Mark:
Mark, because you seem fixated on starting a series, why not take a peek at the first couple pages of Shadowmarch by Tad Williams, who knows, you might not be able to stop? It's labelled as an Epic War Fantasy, and what sounds better during the holiday season than sinking your teeth into a well-renowned behemoth like the Shadowmarch series? (Although it certainly isn't the longest series in existence).
Also, it's dark.
Lastly, you've had it on your list since 2012. Hop to :)
I hope you enjoy!

Teresa:
Going to recommend Promise of Blood as it’s one of the best gunpowder fantasy starts to a series in this sub genre.

Leah:
Oh Leah. I read your list and thought long and hard. I stole many of your books and added them to my Want To Read list. But what to choose. Then, as I lay falling asleep, that darn Elf on the Shelf whispered in my ear -“ it’s a new year, start it with Vandemeer”. So for you Leah.....the choice is Borne. (Which I’m also going to read!)

Tina:
The book I've chosen for Tina is
The Tale of the Wicked by John Scalzi.
I chose it because it looks like a humorous read that might be fun over the winter holidays.

Ctgt:
Santa's choice for Ctgt is Running on Red Dog Road: And Other Perils of an Appalachian Childhood.
The reviews and synopsis tell me it's a heartfelt and warming coming-of-age story that leaves the reader nostalgic and smiling. It seems to be a fitting change from Ctgt's last reads, which consisted mostly of SF and Thrill and of course a proper read for the cold season.
So my dear: Grab a pot of hot chocolate, get comfy on your couch and get on your journey to West Virginia. I hope you enjoy it!

Happy Christmas Reading everyone!!!!

message 39: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Thanks for putting that all together Kat!

All the little elves have been busy and want you to read all the books!

Our official pick for you is The Sparrow. One reason given: I read this several years ago with S&L and loved the story but really fell in love with her writing. Went on to read several of her other books since then and haven't been disappointed.

But there are other great choices for you!
Split the Party because it's a fun book to enjoy this time of year.

Foxglove Summer - thought it was the best in the series to date.

Beds I Have Known: Confessions Of A Passionate Amateur Gardener - it looks like a fun and easy spring read.

I know I speak for all of us in wishing you a wonderful holiday with all the cookies!!

message 40: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Thanks Kat and to Suzanne for organizing!

And thanks to my secret santa. I actually own Watership Down in both audio and paperback. I'll probably do audio though. In fact I was debating what to do next/for my car trip home.

That makes it easy.

message 41: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 4 comments First: thanks to the organizers of this fun event!

Second: Thank you Santa! To be honest, Promise if Blood is one of the most anticipated reads on my TBR, so after the next book(s) of WoT I'll go right after it (since it's my first read of WoT I need to keep the memory fresh, but without a few breaks inbetween it's a bit overwhelming).

Third: Happy holidays to everyone, I hope you all can enjoy a few days of fun and rest!

message 42: by Mark (new)

Mark | 482 comments Thanks for organising this again.

Thanks to my secret Santa, I will start shadowmarch sometime in the new year.

message 43: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments Thank you all for picking out one for me too!

I will read my pick next after I finish my current book. I believe it is set in 2019, so that is fitting :-)

message 44: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Happy holidays everyone. Thanks Kat and Suzanne.

Thanks to my secret Santa. I was hoping Fool's Errand would get picked.

message 45: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm so excited to read Kings of the Wylde. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I finish my current set of books. That was a great Secret Santa choice.

message 46: by Tina LoCasto (new)

Tina LoCasto | 19 comments Thanks Santa. I do need a little humor in my life right now! Good pick

message 47: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 629 comments Thanks Kat & Suzanne & Santa. Hope to start my pick after the new year.

message 48: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1177 comments I finished my previous read and am starting my Pick today. Yay!

message 49: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Great!

I just finished Kings of the Wyld and really enjoyed it. I loved the combination of adventure and humor - I somehow expected it to be a lot more serious/dark and I'm glad it wasn't - I liked the banter.

message 50: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I forgot to check back in, but I finished my pick already and really enjoyed it. Thanks again!