Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Bosch Series On Amazon comments

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric | 57 comments Mod
After reading all of the print books involving Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and after just finishing the last season of Bosch on Amazon, I think the television series is even better than the books.

For one thing, the television series utilizes police humor better than do the novels (one of my strongest criticisms of the novels is the "just the facts" nature of the stories and the lack of police humor).

On top of this, I think as time goes by, Titus Welliver's portrayal of Harry Bosch will be recognized as one of the best portrayals of a fictional character yet.

The supporting cast is also excellent. Actors like Amy Aquino, Lance Reddick, and Jamie Hector are excellent in their roles.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments I've only read a few of the books but I agree the TV program is better. Titus Welliver portrays Harry Bosch so well and the other characters are great that I get so wrapped up in the program. I'm only starting Season 3.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I read all the books & really liked them. The TV series seemed OK, but it chopped up the original story line too much, taking pieces out of order, & generally making a hash of it. It was just too distracting, so I bailed. Maybe I can watch it in a few years when the details of the books have faded enough.

Connelly did a great job keeping events straight, not only with Bosch, but with all the other characters in his universe. Terry McCaleb, Jack McEvoy, & even Cassie Black (who only had 1 dedicated book) continually make appearances throughout the series. Sometimes, as is the case with Black, it's just a cameo or even just a character from within their books. There's only 1 short story (The Crooked Man) where he really screwed up the chronology. That's fantastic give 30 novels & a dozen or so short stories.

If you're interested in the full chronology, including all the short stories, you can find them in my review of the first book The Black Echo. If you read through the comments, you'll see that several people contributed to getting it right. The review is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Eric wrote: "After reading all of the print books involving Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and after just finishing the last season of Bosch on Amazon, I think the television series is even better than the book..."

I tried watching the series, but the actor didn't remind me of Bosch. Thanks so much for the links, Eric!

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Paula wrote: "I've only read a few of the books but I agree the TV program is better. Titus Welliver portrays Harry Bosch so well and the other characters are great that I get so wrapped up in the program. I'm o..."

Paula, please tell me why; maybe I didn't give the show a chance.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments I love the program and I think Titus Welliver does such a good job portraying Harry Bosch and I like how he just does his own thing no matter the consequences. Of course he couldn't do all this without a great cast. The woman that is his boss is amazing and his ex-wife and daughter and that relationship along with his work relationship. The cases and Bosch's history all make the show all worth watching. This is just my opinion.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Wonderful! I think the deeper you get in the Bosch series, the more interesting they become. His first two books have a great deal of his experiences in Viet Nam, but the others begin to develop an inner character as Connelly starts to feel more comfortable with him.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments I need to start reading this series from the beginning. I've just read random books.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I also read them out of order.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Paula wrote: "I need to start reading this series from the beginning. I've just read random books."

I highly recommend it. I read some of the short stories out of order, but otherwise kept to it & it was great. I highly recommend using the list I compiled with others. We worked hard to get it all right. See post #3 for the link.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments Jim wrote: "Paula wrote: "I need to start reading this series from the beginning. I've just read random books."

I highly recommend it. I read some of the short stories out of order, but otherwise kept to it &..."

Thanks, Jim, I will do that.

message 12: by William (new)

William Bodycombe | 2 comments The books are excellent reading. I have just read them all again in sequence! I could see the book Bosch in the Titus Welliver rendition on TV, and I thought the TV show was also excellent. Success all round!

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 13 comments I've read all of the books in the series, but I'm not crazy about the TV show. Welliver shlumps around, doesn't portray Bosch as I imagine him - strong, upright, powerful.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments I love watching Bosch but I have only read a few of the books and it was a while ago.

Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Black Echo (other topics)