Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Numerous November 3/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Dec 09, 2018 11:11PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments 9)Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes (children's fantasy) 214 pages. Source: Library Started: 11/25 Finished: 11/25

Why Read: I had a few days before I needed to start the thriller I'd gotten from Wylie, and this looked short enough to fit in. I've also been wanting to read it. It's by one of my favorite writers, and it's from the perspective of a 12 year old African American boy who was shot by police because his toy gun was mistaken for real.

Comments: Jewelle Parker Rhodes broadens this one case of child killing by looking at it historically. There are hundreds of ghost boys who'll never grow up. I gave it a B+
See my review at https://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/2...

10)Rite of Passage by Emily Martha Sorensen (science fiction short story) 8 pages. Source: Free from author via Prolific Works
Started: 11/26 Finished: 11/26

Why Read: It was definitely short. I liked the title and I wanted to see what this author was like.

Comments: It was potentially interesting, but it stopped just as it was getting interesting. I don't get why the author wrote it. I gave it a C+

11)Leaves on the Wind by Zack Whedon (media tie-in graphic novel) Source: Library Started: 11/26 Finished: 11/27

Why Read: This is a sequel to the movie Serenity which was based on the Firefly TV series which I loved.

Comments: There were great moments for all the characters except Inara, but there were lovely Inara illustrations. I gave it a B, but there was a short story added that I found mediocre and gave a C.

12)The Storm over Paris by William Ian Grubman (contemporary/historical thriller) Source: Wiley Started: 11/27
Finished: 11/30

Why Read: This is a WWII art thriller. The MC is Jewish and takes some enormous risks.

Comments: If you like WWII thrillers or you like books that center on art, you should enjoy this one. I gave it a B+. The contemporary aspect is the prologue and the epilogue. See my review at https://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/2...

So although I did have a little more time to read, I also read short stories, graphic books and a children's book. That's why I had more reads than usual. LOL! I know how to get a good total for December.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Shomeret: a mix of lengths and formats is fun to mix in; thanks for the tip on The Storm Over Paris. It looks to hit several of my buttons and Ghost Boys also catches my eye.

Shomeret wrote: "9)Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes (children's fantasy)
............So although I did have a little more time to read, but I also read short stories, graphic books and a children's book. That's why I had more reads than usual. LOL
I know how to get a good total for December..."