What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Alternate Life: path not taken; actor stumbles into life he could have led as familyman

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Carroll | 3 comments A moderately successful actor switches lives with the man he could have become had he married his pregnant college girlfriend. His alternate self hates his job and is a failure as a husband and father, blaming his family for blighting his dream of becoming an actor. The protagonist begins to mend the life of his alter ego and becomes close to the children, especially the daughter, who also has dreams of acting. He also falls in love with his former girlfriend (wife). Meanwhile, his alternate self is creating havoc in the protagonist's life. He never had the training or experience to be an actor and blows a big audition. He is drinking and sleeping around.

At the end, the protagonist and his alter ego meet in the fog and switch their lives back. The protagonist keeps a photo of the children he could have had. I believe he also reconnects with his college girlfriend.

I read this book in the early '80s.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32294 comments Mod
Eileen, how exactly does he switch lives or create a second version of himself?

What is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city like New York/London?

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Carroll | 3 comments I don’t remember but I believe he’s out walking. The protagonist lives in NYC I believe. The double lives in a small town. It takes place in present time (in this case probably the early ‘80s).

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Eileen ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 46 where fewer eyes will see it.
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Baker | 23 comments This sounds like the movie "The Family Man." Is that movie based on this book maybe?