What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fiction - governess to boy who doesn't talk named Graham, possibly in England

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Holcomb | 3 comments I read a book as a teenager in the 80s, but it was an older print (60s or 70s) about a woman hired as a governess to a little boy named Graham who didn't talk, I think in England. Woman was hired by Graham's father who was aloof, and the woman would take him about town, where once they visited a shop where there were kittens, and Graham "selected a ginger kitten" (close to what was in the book, but a google search doesn't turn it up). Graham also held and stroked a yellow ribbon. I think the governess fell in love with the father, but not sure.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Dec 03, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Stephanie, where is the mother? How old is the boy? How old is the governess and what does she teach him? Why did she become a governess/nanny?

What is the story's time period?

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Holcomb | 3 comments Mother dead, I think. Governess answered an ad or was sent by a service, there was an interview or initial meeting with the man of the house. Time period modern, but while I read it in the 80s I believe it was published in the 60s and British (at least the setting and characters) or Welsh maybe. I believe Graham had red hair? The yellow ribbon stands out in my mind, he would hold it and smooth it between his fingers.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Are you sure this was YA and not adult romance fiction?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Holcomb | 3 comments I’m unsure. Perhaps because I was a teen I’m remembering it more as YA, the romance part I’m unsure of. The relationship between the governess and boy was the focus. Boy is young, perhaps 8 or 9.