What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bright Valley of Love
This topic is about Bright Valley of Love
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Book of disabled boy in Nazi Germany. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Murray (last edited Dec 01, 2018 06:08PM) (new)

Murray McLellan | 5 comments Looking for book that I read in the late 1980's of a disabled boy in Nazi Germany. I do not remember if it was based on a true story or if it was historical fiction. It seemed to be written for youth. I cannot remember the name or the author.

message 3: by Murray (new)

Murray McLellan | 5 comments That does not sound like the title. Though I think the name of the main character was Gunter or something similar.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Dec 02, 2018 02:00PM) (new)

Kris | 35739 comments Mod
Here's a detailed plot summary (with spoilers) of The Tin Drum by Günter Grass - Nóinín's suggestion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tin...

message 5: by Murray (new)

Murray McLellan | 5 comments Yea, The Tin Drum is definitely not the book. The book I read was more of a children's novel (middle years).

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 224 comments Maybe Dreaming in Black & White by Reinhardt Jung?

message 7: by Murray (new)

Murray McLellan | 5 comments Dreaming in Black & White has some similar themes for sure - but it was written much more recently. I read the book I am trying to find at least 15 years before Jung's book was written. Thanks for the suggestion though!

message 8: by Murray (new)

Murray McLellan | 5 comments I believe I have found it! Bright Valley of Love by Edna Hong!

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 224 comments Glad you found it! I would have searched fiction for an eternity with no luck before realizing you also said it could be a true story.
Good find!