Challenge Corner discussion

Icebound
This topic is about Icebound
Let's Buddy! - Horror/Thriller > Icebound by Dean Koontz -> Restarting April 9th 2019

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 53317 comments Mod
The arctic night is endless. The fear is numbing. Screams freeze in the throat. Death arrives in shades of white. Cold-blooded murder seems right at home....the chill of the grave.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments I ordered this book, so if I get it soon I'll join. I had to order it from our Link+ system so sometimes it can take a week to 10 days.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Finally, I got my book!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments Great! I should be reading soon.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Jenny, we missed the mark, huh? Should we ask for a new start date? I haven't read it yet and it looks like you haven't either.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments Yes let's do it.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Yay! When is good for you?

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments How about starting Mar 9?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Sounds good to me! :) Do we need to ask the MOD to change the date?

message 10: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments Yes I think so - can you do it?

message 11: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14903 comments Mod
********** RESTARTING MARCH 12TH 2019 **********

message 12: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments Thanks Felicia!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Jenny, we REALLY need to read this one for our BR!! I think we only have one month and that means we should get it read by the 13th, I think.

message 14: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments I asked for a restart effective tomorrow.

message 15: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 53317 comments Mod

RESTARTING APRIL 9TH, 2019

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Thanks Jenny and Alaina. :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Okay, I'm finally starting this one today BUT (always a but in there lol) Scott is off today so I'll most likely finish it tomorrow. I have 3 or 4 other books I need to read by tomorrow night. Maybe even 5 or 6. LOL Saturdays and Sundays I get busy! READING! lol

message 18: by Vicki (last edited Apr 20, 2019 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Before
Evidently, this book was published in 1976 as Prison of Ice under the pseudonym David Axton, I didn't know Koontz ever had used a pen name other than his own name. Later his fans wanted updated books so he granted their request and this is one of the books whose story line he improved upon and published under his own name.

I like how BEFORE is formatted. It's very short but the layout, if I'm reading it correctly, takes us chronologically through various scientists in different places and parts of the world. In the New York Times article that begins the novel, (view spoiler)

Interesting concept that is introduced to (view spoiler) I've been to Alaska and visited some of the beautiful icebergs and I honestly can't fathom that at all, but I'm not a scientist.

ONE - SNARE

Harry Carpenter, Pete Johnson, and Claude Jobert finished (view spoiler), but it's scary because of the amount they're handling. Knowing it could "destroy them in an apocalyptic flash."

Claude makes it really evident just how (view spoiler) I can't even imagine how horrible that would be. And that Harry had never seen Claude indulge in self-pity, not even when (view spoiler) further illustrates how desperately (view spoiler).

Rita (view spoiler) I've learned a new vocabulary word: cryophobia a morbid fear of freezing. I think that's what I've had lately. lol

I would've been so freaked out to experience a (view spoiler) and I pray that I never do!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments

George (view spoiler)

I can't imagine how I'd feel if all of my (view spoiler)

With an iceberg as huge as it is, it's hard to fathom (view spoiler) Who knows what that could bring?

Brian and Roger (view spoiler)

"God has a sense of humor" is something I've always heard and believed, but never have I heard that he has a "dark sense of humor." lol

message 20: by Vicki (last edited Apr 21, 2019 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments Finished

I wasn't expecting so much action for some reason. I thought this was so well done and I was really into the mystery of a possible (view spoiler) after what happened to Brian.

I've been on a (view spoiler) LOL

message 21: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 3309 comments I'll be joining and commenting on this probably next week. Ran out of time this week.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments No problem Jenny.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 3307 comments I still want to hear your thoughts, Jenny. Have you begun it yet?