The Round Table discussion

WELCOME > Howdy!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gareth (last edited Dec 01, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Gareth Young (spartagus) | 22 comments Mod
Welcome to The Round Table. This is an attempt to connect better with READERS and engage in general discussion about books or related topics. Writers will not be allowed to advertise their books, although, in the course of discussion, books can be recommended. These recommendations will be moderated and any sneaky attempts to break this rule will get you kicked out. I reserve the right to change this rule whenever I like. MWHAHAHA! *cough* Excuse me, some evil leaked out.

Anyway, I look forward to talking to you. Please feel free to introduce yourself.

message 2: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Hello, thanks for the invitation. I'm an author and a reader. I like a variety of genres and looking forward to discussing books.

message 3: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte  (brigitteh) Thank you for the invite. I am a reader of most genres :)

message 4: by Gareth (new)

A.F. wrote: "Hello, thanks for the invitation. I'm an author and a reader. I like a variety of genres and looking forward to discussing books."

Welcome A.F.! Glad you stopped by. I look forward to more discussion on books. Until I get this place swinging, don't forget to answer the poll questions when they pop up :)

message 5: by Gareth (new)

Brigitte wrote: "Thank you for the invite. I am a reader of most genres :)"

Welcome Brigitte! If you're a reader you've come to the right place...I hope. :) It'll take me a wee while to get this place where I want it, but I look forward to discussing books with you. :)

message 6: by A.R. (last edited Dec 02, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

A.R. Simmons (arsimmons) | 2 comments Gareth,

Thanks for the invitation. I'll be dropping by "the table" silently for a while to see if it's a comfortable fit. I'm a reader who enjoys discussing books, ideas, and genres, and I'm a writer who likes talking shop. If discussions veer into political rants or religious contention, count me out.

Frankly, I'm a little concerned about the (autocratic?) tenor of the opening disclaimer. I'll assume for the present that it was written in jest and does not reflect the actual intention of the moderator.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb  | 4 comments Found my invite this morning when I logged in & am looking forward to chats and hopefully discovering new titles to check out -- whether they're yours or from your favorite authors. I'm a writer and reader plus I review books on my website regularly.

message 8: by Aila (new)

Aila Stephens | 4 comments Hi, Gareth!

I'm a women's fiction author and a reader who appreciates a hard-won happily ever after. Outside of writing, I am a former chef (still in the food and bev industry, but I wouldn't call what I do now a chef's job.) who enjoys bad weather and being outside...though not at the same time. Usually.

What a neat group you've started. Thank you so much for including me!

message 9: by Celia (new)

Celia McMahon (celiamcmahon) | 1 comments Hello! I a YA author and avid reader. I LOVE books, Star Wars, potato salad, and peeling sunburns.

message 10: by Gareth (new)

A.R. wrote: "Gareth,

Thanks for the invitation. I'll be dropping by "the table" silently for a while to see if it's a comfortable fit. I'm a reader who enjoys discussing books, ideas, and genres, and I'm a wri..."

Welcome A.R.!

lol The opening disclaimer is mostly jest...I'm a pretty laid back guy, but its intent is to make sure that people follow the rules. Don't want rules? Then perhaps another group will be a better fit. I'm trying to avoid flame wars and endless ads for books by writers trying to find a sale. Twitter is awash with that nonsense, and I don't want the same here. Intentions are well meant...aiming for good, mostly clean fun. Those who are also authors are free to talk from a writer's perspective, but if it's all just an angle to get to a book plug, I'm not interested in seeing that. I will provide space for that stuff down the line, for sure.

Talk, enjoy your stay, shoot me some ideas on things you WOULD like to see and we'll see how it goes. If it's not for you... then no worries :)

message 11: by Gareth (new)

Barb wrote: "Found my invite this morning when I logged in & am looking forward to chats and hopefully discovering new titles to check out -- whether they're yours or from your favorite authors. I'm a writer an..."

Welcome, Barb! Glad you could join us. Still getting the group of the ground, but I hope to see lots of discussions about books. It's fun listening to people wax lyrical about favorite books and maybe creating some excitement for others. I have been remiss in my reading duties for the last couple of years and am hoping this might provide a springboard for 2019... get back into enjoying reading as much as I used to. :)

message 12: by Gareth (new)

Aila wrote: "Hi, Gareth!

I'm a women's fiction author and a reader who appreciates a hard-won happily ever after. Outside of writing, I am a former chef (still in the food and bev industry, but I wouldn't call..."

Welcome, Aila! A chef? Guess I'll be calling on you to help out with Round Table snacks LOL. I'm from Scotland originally, so I was brought up in bad weather :) Gotta love some rain. It's the best weather for reading a book...although not outside. It just gets your Kindle all soggy.

message 13: by Gareth (new)

Celia wrote: "Hello! I a YA author and avid reader. I LOVE books, Star Wars, potato salad, and peeling sunburns."

Welcome, Celia! We're going to get along like a house on fire...I also like Star Wars, Potato Salad and peeling sunburns :D lol ewwww. I know! Look forward to talking more with you. haha.

message 14: by Hemmie (new)

Hemmie Martin (hemmiemartin) Hi Gareth, thanks for the invite to join this group - although being a member of a group often bamboozles me and I get lost in the ether. I am an author of crime and contemporary women's fiction and a reader, naturally. I'm often accompanied in my office by Alfie, my white rescue cat, who occasionally finds the laptop a comfortable and warm place to lie. I like to read contemporary fiction and crime, although mostly the former currently.

message 15: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Cully (jgcully) Thanks for the invite Gareth! Looking forward to the chat.

For everyone else, my name is JG Cully and I'm a writer and avid reader. Reading wise I like Sci-fi and fantasy books, as well as non-fiction titles such as anything to do with world war 2.

Writing wise, I've been writing my Haldred Chronicles series for the past couple of years. I was previously self-published but as of next year, I'll be publishing my first book with Boyle and Dalton.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

message 16: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Simmons (arsimmons) | 2 comments Gareth,

Grateful that you got back with a reassurance. Looking forward to stimulating conversations.

Contention is not my thing. My motto is: When you yell at me, I can't hear you.

Thanks again.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Lepczyk (thirdcoast) | 1 comments Hi All,

I enjoy literary fiction, fantasy, and science fiction. Looking forward to some interesting discussions and book recommendations.

Tim