SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Expired Challenges > Holiday Hodgepodge (2 MONTHS)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28260 comments "Holiday Hodgepodge"
Celebrating the holiday season in countries around the world

description

Duration: 2 months [12/15/18 - 2/15/19]
Rules: Read a total of 4 books. Celebrate the country you live in by reading 1 book fitting that continent's category. And, read 3 books choosing from the categories listed below for all other continents.

'Tis the season! Christmas is celebrated in different ways around the world. Let's celebrate them here by reading!

Continent Categories:

**Continent of Africa**
Christmas day begins with groups of carolers walking to and fro through the village, along the roadway, by the houses of the missionaries, singing the lovely carols known the world around. Often people may be awakened by a group of carolers beginning to converge on the house of worship. They return home to make final preparation as to the clothes one must wear and also as to his offering for the Christmas service.
Read a book with a character who is a singer -OR- a book with 'SING' in the title (ie: Full Moon Rising)

**Continent of North America**
The majority of Americans celebrate Christmas with the exchange of gifts and greetings and with family visits. For many, the day begins on Christmas Eve with the Midnight Mass. At Christmas it snows in many states, so dinner is usually eaten indoors. Dinner usually is roast turkey, goose, duck or ham served with cranberry sauce, then plum pudding or pumpkin pie followed by nuts and fruit.

American homes are decorated with holly, mistletoe and branches of trees, most have a Christmas tree hung with electric lights, tinsel, baubles, and strings of popcorn and candy canes.

Read a book where a character has a special gift (ie: psychic, telekinesis, etc) -OR- the cover features a present, holly, Christmas tree or a red & white color theme

**Continent of South America**
Christmas In South America is predominantly a religious occassion. The Christmas celebrations here are inspired mainly from Roman Catholic traditions.

The focus of the celebrations here is the "Presepio" (manger). In every home, the Nativity Scene is beautifully constructed and displayed. Often an entire room is devoted to it.

Read a book with a house or building on the cover

**Continent of Asia**
As compared to the other parts of the world Asian countries have relatively small numbers of Christians living there. So Christmas is not so widely celebrated there. Places where Christmas is observed people mostly follow Western customs and traditions such as attending the midnight Mass, religious services, exchanging of gifts, thanksgiving, singing carols, decorating their house and Christmas trees.

On Christmas Eve, Filipinos parade through the streets carrying colorful star-shaped lanterns called parols. These lanterns are also displayed in the windows of most homes.

Read a book with a star on the cover -OR- any type of light source

**Continent of Australia and Oceania**
Temperature in Australia often soars up to 30 degrees Celsius during Christmas season. Traditional Christmas dinner includes turkey, ham and pork. Christmas plum pudding serves as dessert and served enflamed. During the times of Australian gold rushes, Christmas puddings often had a gold nugget inside them, which are now replaced with small favors. Anybody who finds the favor is believed to have good luck throughout the coming year. Mince pies are also popular as treats here. Australians, especially tourists, love to have their Christmas dinner at midday on a local beach.
Read a book with a gold or yellow cover -OR- featuring a beach or ocean

**Continent of Europe**
The holiday is celebrated in a number of ways throughout Europe and those ways are as diversified as the people of that region. Celebrations include visits from two Santas in Belgium, a mischievous elf called Nisse in Demark, caroling and figgy pudding in England, burning yule logs and celebrating Noel in France to dining on roast goose in Germany.
Read a book with characters of different cultures, races or species -OR- a character who is from a country in Europe

**Continent of Antarctica**
The holidays are celebrated by scientists from around the world. There are 24 hours of daylight on Christmas Day. Some years, Christmas is celebrated twice in McMurdo Research Station in both July (winter) and December (summer). For researchers at the scientific station and its outposts, Christmas dinner is a meal of dehydrated food or maybe a full dinner with a ham or even a buffet.
Read a book with a character who is a scientist -OR- any type of Sci-Fi novel

Holiday tradition information was gathered from around the internet. I apologize in advance if any of this information is incorrect.

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments LOL, there's certainly a generalization for the Aussie one :D but a large grain of truth as well. When I was small the mothers/grandmothers making the plum pudding put silver sixpences inside, however we changed the currency back in 1966, so no more silver, so now if you get the sixpence you have to give it back for next year. The MIL always made one & it looked lovely all flaming at the table :) Mind you, I hate plum pudding and don't eat it.

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28260 comments Interesting. I should'a asked you b/c I was wondering if that had any truth to it. I haven't had plum pudding, but it doesn't sound appetizing.

message 4: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 29, 2019 12:59PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 950 comments SOS: Serious Overload of Series
Holiday Hodgepodge (2 MONTHS)
Duration:
2 months 12/15/18 - 2/15/19

Progress: 4 out of 4

Rules: Read a total of 4 books. Celebrate the country you live in by reading 1 book fitting that continent's category. And, read 3 books choosing from the categories listed below for all other continents.

'Tis the season! Christmas is celebrated in different ways around the world. Let's celebrate them here by reading!

Continent Categories:

**Continent of Africa**
Christmas day begins with groups of carolers walking to and fro through the village, along the roadway, by the houses of the missionaries, singing the lovely carols known the world around. Often people may be awakened by a group of carolers beginning to converge on the house of worship. They return home to make final preparation as to the clothes one must wear and also as to his offering for the Christmas service.
Read a book with a character who is a singer -OR- a book with 'SING' in the title (ie: Full Moon Rising):
Reunion in Death by J.D. Robb - ***** - 12/18/2018 - 371 Pages

Reunion in Death (In Death, #14) by J.D. Robb

**Continent of North America**
The majority of Americans celebrate Christmas with the exchange of gifts and greetings and with family visits. For many, the day begins on Christmas Eve with the Midnight Mass. At Christmas it snows in many states, so dinner is usually eaten indoors. Dinner usually is roast turkey, goose, duck or ham served with cranberry sauce, then plum pudding or pumpkin pie followed by nuts and fruit.
American homes are decorated with holly, mistletoe and branches of trees, most have a Christmas tree hung with electric lights, tinsel, baubles, and strings of popcorn and candy canes.

Read a book where a character has a special gift (ie: psychic, telekinesis, etc) -OR- the cover features a present, holly, Christmas tree or a red & white color theme:
All I Want for Christmas by Nora Roberts - **** - 12/21/2018 - 102 Pages

All I Want for Christmas by Nora Roberts

**Continent of South America**
Christmas In South America is predominantly a religious occassion. The Christmas celebrations here are inspired mainly from Roman Catholic traditions.
The focus of the celebrations here is the "Presepio" (manger). In every home, the Nativity Scene is beautifully constructed and displayed. Often an entire room is devoted to it.

Read a book with a house or building on the cover:
Second Chance Pass by Robyn Carr - ***** - 12/27/2018 - 389 Pages

Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5) by Robyn Carr

**Continent of Asia**
As compared to the other parts of the world Asian countries have relatively small numbers of Christians living there. So Christmas is not so widely celebrated there. Places where Christmas is observed people mostly follow Western customs and traditions such as attending the midnight Mass, religious services, exchanging of gifts, thanksgiving, singing carols, decorating their house and Christmas trees.
On Christmas Eve, Filipinos parade through the streets carrying colorful star-shaped lanterns called parols. These lanterns are also displayed in the windows of most homes.
Read a book with a star on the cover -OR- any type of light source

**Continent of Australia and Oceania**
Temperature in Australia often soars up to 30 degrees Celsius during Christmas season. Traditional Christmas dinner includes turkey, ham and pork. Christmas plum pudding serves as dessert and served enflamed. During the times of Australian gold rushes, Christmas puddings often had a gold nugget inside them, which are now replaced with small favors. Anybody who finds the favor is believed to have good luck throughout the coming year. Mince pies are also popular as treats here. Australians, especially tourists, love to have their Christmas dinner at midday on a local beach.
Read a book with a gold or yellow cover -OR- featuring a beach or ocean:
Perfect Is Boring: 10 Things My Crazy, Fierce Mama Taught Me about Beauty, Booty, and Being a Boss by Tyra Banks - ***** - 1/31/2019 - 320 Pages

Perfect Is Boring 10 Things My Crazy, Fierce Mama Taught Me about Beauty, Booty, and Being a Boss by Tyra Banks

**Continent of Europe**
The holiday is celebrated in a number of ways throughout Europe and those ways are as diversified as the people of that region. Celebrations include visits from two Santas in Belgium, a mischievous elf called Nisse in Demark, caroling and figgy pudding in England, burning yule logs and celebrating Noel in France to dining on roast goose in Germany.
Read a book with characters of different cultures, races or species -OR- a character who is from a country in Europe

**Continent of Antarctica**
The holidays are celebrated by scientists from around the world. There are 24 hours of daylight on Christmas Day. Some years, Christmas is celebrated twice in McMurdo Research Station in both July (winter) and December (summer). For researchers at the scientific station and its outposts, Christmas dinner is a meal of dehydrated food or maybe a full dinner with a ham or even a buffet.
Read a book with a character who is a scientist -OR- any type of Sci-Fi novel

Holiday tradition information was gathered from around the internet. I apologize in advance if any of this information is incorrect.

message 5: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 541 comments Even though the dates for this challenge are from last holiday season, I'd like to do it this year December-January - is that okay?

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28260 comments I’ll create one for this year now, LaurLa, and give you the link. Thanks for your interest.

message 7: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28260 comments Here’s the one for this year’s: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... I’m going to archive this one.

message 8: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 541 comments Steph wrote: "Here’s the one for this year’s: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... I’m going to archive this one."

Thanks, Steph!

message 9: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28260 comments You're welcome!