Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Goodreads recommendations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savonne (new)

Savonne Is it just me or do the goodreads recommendations suck! If its just me I guess that's fine. But I just can't imagine I am an only in this feeling. It recommended books for like 10 year olds, if not younger! Thanks for giving opinions!

message 2: by Julia (last edited Dec 01, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Julia | 117 comments Haha... um, yeah they do. My favourite was Little House on the Prairie suggested to me “because I enjoyed Lord of the Flies.” I’m not discrediting that Little House is probably a great book, but it has absolutely no correlation to Flies. I actually posted a question on Little House’s page asking if there was any reason for this ridiculously based suggestion—and I’m loving the answers I’ve received!!

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1...

message 3: by Savonne (new)

Savonne That's hilarious!! He is comparing a pigs death to Lord of the Flies, LOL.

message 4: by BADASSBOOKWORM (new)

BADASSBOOKWORM (bookwormbadass) | 107 comments yes,totally. I hate all of them.

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace Yes! I very rarely ever take an interest in whats been recommended to me.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. I get recomended books based on books I dnf-ed or gave 1 or two stars.

message 7: by Savonne (new)

Savonne Haha☺

message 8: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments sometimes it does give me one that actually looks interesting, but it's never like ...because of anything that makes sense i guess lol. like it seems to just jumble in all graphic novels together so it's like 'you might like [random issue of lumberjanes] because you read [some volume of preacher] and hey i actually DO like both of those things ...but they are in no way related in mood, content, or even target age group soooo

also i feel like i've just glitched it or something because it will recc me the same 10-20 books no matter what i am reading. like obviously i don't want to read the damn vampire companion or i would have clicked it already

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Devann wrote: "sometimes it does give me one that actually looks interesting, but it's never like ...because of anything that makes sense i guess lol. like it seems to just jumble in all graphic novels together s..."

No mine does that too. I've had like the same books on my list since I joined GR's a while back. I feel like it never gets updated.

message 10: by Aiden (The Book Scourge) (last edited Dec 04, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments I kid you not, based on me enjoying Death Note (All in One Edition) Goodreads suggests The Resistance (Animorphs #47) Go home Goodreads, your drunk...again. Not only do I have the slightest bit of interest in the series, what's even the connection here anyway? The thing is, most of the time I get good recommendations like just now based on me enjoying 2001: A Space Odyssey, Goodreads suggests Schilds Ladder.

message 11: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments yeah i would absolutely love to have some explanation of whatever algorithm they're using for the recommendations because i'm sure it does make sense somehow in theory, but the execution is all over the place

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia | 117 comments My guess is that it just batch edits a bunch of suggestions based on books that person A happens to like, and so does person B. Just to give a quick glimpse into my read shelf, I have given high ratings to the Harry Potter books, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, Alice in Wonderland, Calvin and Hobbes, and non-fiction "movie scrapbooks" about how some of favourite movies were made. These books really have nothing in common, but I am one reader who liked all of them individually. I think it uses this to make false assumptions that I like Alice in Wonderland *because* I liked Lord of the Flies. Obviously there is no logic in this whatsoever, but I would guess that that is where the recommendations are coming from.