The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Awkward/Embarassing Titles

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1137 comments I know we're supposed to let out freak flags fly and not worry about what other people think but I find some genre book titles awkward or embarrassing to say out loud if someone at work, for instance, asks me what I'm reading. Normally I'm glad to share but take Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr as an example. It's long, contains several made up words, contains a colon, and I'm not even sure how to pronounce Ymr. It's just difficult to say. Plus it sounds like it should be the next sequel in the Indiana Jones series.
Another one I've had trouble with is Time Enough for Love. My mother used to mock me because it is my favorite book and to her it sounded like it was a Harlequin Romance. (Yeah, my mother is another story.)
Are there any books you've been a little hesitant to say or that are just awkward?

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3907 comments Revelation Space. Sounds like a cultist handbook.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim (timdcca) | 11 comments I've even just had a friend recently who, having never heard of H.P. Lovecraft, had strange notions as to why I was reading Lovecraft Country, thinking it was some sort of romance.

Not a title, but someone giggled when I mentioned that the Jade-imbued warriors in Jade City are called 'Green Bones'

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments I love Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. It's probably my favourite long-running fantasy series. But the titles are completely inscrutable to the new reader. They're all taken from the names of fantastic creatures in the setting which are also the symbols of the noble houses, but almost all of them are entirely Brust's creations with completely made-up names. Less than half a dozen are drawn from any well-known fantastic or mythic beast or real-world animal, and even then, it doesn't tell you anything about what the book is about unless you're already familiar with the series. I guess this approach is great for SEO though.

Also, Lois Bujold's The Vor Game sounds a lot kinkier these days.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments Paul wrote: "Servants of the Wankh

fnarrr"

Well, it’s SPELT “Wankh” but it’s PRONOUNCED “tossing off”.

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3907 comments I snorted.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Trike wrote: "Paul wrote: "Servants of the Wankh

fnarrr"

Well, it’s SPELT “Wankh” but it’s PRONOUNCED “tossing off”."

Bravo

message 9: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1617 comments Phil wrote: "I know we're supposed to let out freak flags fly and not worry about what other people think but I find some genre book titles awkward or embarrassing to say out loud if someone at work, for instan..."

Anything Chuck Tingle.

Not embarrassing but if said out loud...
Any Discworld titles with exclamation point: Thud! Guards! Guards!

message 10: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments It’s not necessarily embarrassing but The Name of the Wind really lends itself to fart jokes.

message 11: by Mark (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:19AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2287 comments Dara wrote: "It’s not necessarily embarrassing but The Name of the Wind really lends itself to fart jokes."

Someone has already had a little fun with Mr. Rothfuss and this meme

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 985 comments I got made fun of in my local Waterstones when I tried asking for Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr. I think the shop assistant thought I was making it up in order to play a prank on her, or possibly in the middle of a psychotic episode.

People who are unfamiliar with Lovecraft's work always seem to assume it's some kind of dodgy erotica based on the name. Mentioning tentacles doesn't help dispel this impression.

message 13: by Udayan (new)

Udayan | 3 comments Clarke and Gentry Lee's "Rama (revered as a God in many Hindu households) Revealed" may cause a bit of flutter with the current Hindu Revivalist government in India.