Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
This topic is about The Man With a Load of Mischief
Archive - Group Reads > The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury #1) by Martha Grimes (no spoilers) - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury #1) by Martha Grimes, your hostess is Gem.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) by Martha Grimes The Man with a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief  by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief  by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief (The Richard Jury Mysteries) by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief  by Martha Grimes The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury #1) by Martha Grimes

Summary

At the Man with a Load of Mischief, they found the dead body stuck in a keg of beer. At the Jack and Hammer, another body was stuck out on the beam of the pub’s sign, replacing the mechanical man who kept the time. Two pubs. Two murders. One Scotland Yard inspector called in to help. Detective Chief Inspector Richard Jury arrives in Long Piddleton and finds everyone in the postcard village looking outside of town for the killer. Except for one Melrose Plant. A keen observer of human nature, he points Jury in the right direction: into the darkest parts of his neighbors’ hearts…

message 2: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hi folks, I'm Gem and will be leading the discussion for this our Holiday Special read. I'll be downloading my book this evening so I can start reading. Please feel free to jump in if you are joining us or have previously read this selection.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments I've never read a book from this author but I'm going to try this one. ☺

message 4: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 657 comments Mod
I haven’t gotten around to reading her books either. Will try to join you on this one. Apparently each Richard Jury book is named after a pub.

Patricia | -5 comments My sister & I read these books years ago. A favorite series for us both. I picked up a copy of this one at a used bookstore not long ago, so looking forward to a reread.

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I'm starting to make some headway on this one. There are so many characters introduced when Inspector Jury begins the investigation that I have absolutely no idea who might be the murderer.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have started to read this book today, and I am enjoying it so far.

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I got stuck on this one about less than halfway through. Is it worth me pushing forward to finish it?

Gary Sundell | 66 comments Just unearthed my unread paperback from the 1980s. As soon as I finish my current read I will start in on this.

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (chilly25) | 7 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I got stuck on this one about less than halfway through. Is it worth me pushing forward to finish it?"

I personally love this series with the Bertie Wooster-type character of Melrose Plant. Her humour is outstanding, very crisp. I would strongly recommend finishing this one and reading others in the series, if you haven't already. Grimes is another of my favourites.