Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

That's a Wrap (Paranormal Talent Agency, #3)
This topic is about That's a Wrap
Book Issues > There is a separate listing for book 3 in my series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Silvio (heathersilvio) | 7 comments The third book in my series has two listings. One of them shows the paperback and ebook linked as expected (and has its first review, yay!). But, there's a second separate listing for the Kindle version (I think that's the one I linked above) of the book; not sure where that came from but it needs to be deleted. Thanks!

message 2: by Emily (last edited Dec 01, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

Emily | 13169 comments It was imported by Amazon automatically. Amazon treats Kindle edition books with ASIN as separate from ebook editions with an ISBN. So, it is a valid edition. I have combined it with the other two editions.
EDIT: Here's the explanation
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/401

message 3: by Heather (last edited Dec 01, 2018 03:31PM) (new)

Heather Silvio (heathersilvio) | 7 comments Thank you for the prompt response, but I respectfully disagree that the page you've linked to is saying there would be two editions, one for the ASIN and one for the ISBN. My interpretation of that page is that if you ONLY have an Amazon assigned ASIN, then that's how it's indicated, BUT if you have your own ISBN, that's what's indicated. ISBN trumps ASIN, in other words. And, if my other eight books are any indication, I am correct, as none of them have a third edition like this. I'd really like it deleted because it's inaccurate to list it as a separate edition, since it is not a separate edition.

Edited to add, delete whichever one makes the most sense (Kindle or ebook), but having two ebook editions listed is simply inaccurate, confusing, and unnecessary. Thank you.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Dec 01, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Heather Silvio (heathersilvio) | 7 comments Actually, don't even worry about it. At least they're combined :) Thanks!

message 5: by Abcdarian (last edited Dec 01, 2018 05:06PM) (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments One reason for having both is that the kindles link directly to Amazon listings; the other ebooks link to other sales sites.

message 6: by Emily (last edited Dec 01, 2018 06:30PM) (new)

Emily | 13169 comments Heather wrote: "Actually, don't even worry about it. At least they're combined :) Thanks!"

You're welcome. If you have questions about the policy you should contact Goodreads staff.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments If there only exists a kindle - means your digital edition is only published on Amazon and nowhere elese then there's no ISBN version because these are listed with the ASIN.
But if there is a real ebook - means sold somewhere else then Amazon as digital book - it is kept because it is a different edition.
And speaking as a reader with an ebook reader (yes, real ebooks not kindle) that actually is relevant information for me.
I can't read kindle editions on my device (and the Kindle users can't read ebooks on theirs, just Kindle editons) so it's something I need to know to decide if I actually care about the book.

Ebooks and Kindle editions have different types of DRM like hardcover and paperback have different bindings.
For a reader they aren't the same, in fact it is important to know if he can actually read it on his device or not.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Silvio (heathersilvio) | 7 comments I'm not really looking for a debate on the topic; I'm aware of the difference between a Kindle and an ebook. Almost all of my books are available both on and off Amazon. If this is a policy, it is a poorly enacted one.

In any event, since my issue has resolved, please delete the topic. Thank you.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Silvio (heathersilvio) | 7 comments Although, in fairness, now that I know that's the purpose, I'll add those editions to my relevant book entries to better reflect the intent!

And, sorry, if my original answers sounded crabby, lol.