Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

House of Leaves
This topic is about House of Leaves
Archive - Group Reads > House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (spoilers permitted) - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Dec 01, 2018 12:59PM) (new) - added it

Gem  | 1262 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski your hostess is Jamie.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.

Summary

Years ago, when House of Leaves was first being passed around, it was nothing more than a badly bundled heap of paper, parts of which would occasionally surface on the Internet. No one could have anticipated the small but devoted following this terrifying story would soon command. Starting with an odd assortment of marginalized youth—musicians, tattoo artists, programmers, strippers, environmentalists, and adrenaline junkies—the book eventually made its way into the hands of older generations, who not only found themselves in those strangely arranged pages but also discovered a way back into the lives of their estranged children.

Now, for the first time, this astonishing novel is made available in book form, complete with the original colored words, vertical footnotes, and newly added second and third appendices.

The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story—of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams.

message 2: by Jamie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 153 comments Mod
Here's what I don't get about the story. What happened to the house after its over? Is it still there? Does anyone investigate it? It's hard to believe no one else is following up and scientists aren't studying it.

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments That's a good question. I assumed people would think it was a hoax or an attention grab and write it off. I can't see anyone in a scientific community really taking an initial report like that seriously, but it would definitely be interesting to find out what was actually going on.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1198 comments I couldn't finish this. I spent more time skimming than any actual reading. I'm just glad I didn't buy it.